Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Full-contact aero bars (with hydration?) [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh wow, those look amazing.... whats the contact for the guy that did them? I have been looking at watt shop or speed bar.... Like you did not really want to pay the 3k+ for speed bar. Have been little worried about getting some measurements Wrong since once you make these I dont see much room for adj with them other then stack height with spacers.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Full-contact aero bars (with hydration?) [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have we seen anyone post ant tunnel numbers yet for watts saved? Obviously highly individual but could start to find some trends.

I wonder if over 2020 we will start to see some guys in USA making these? I dont see numbers / prices coming down say under 500 bucks but the speed bar at 3k euro is pricy.

Quote Reply
Re: Full-contact aero bars (with hydration?) [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you scroll down I put all the details in the post when I first put them on my bike but Graeme Pearson of Pearson bikes in New Zealand.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Up_close_with_the_Dimond_Marquise_of_Shambolic_P6867602/?search_string=aussie%20dimond#p6867602
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Like you did not really want to pay the 3k+ for speed bar. Have been little worried about getting some measurements Wrong since once you make these I dont see much room for adj with them other then stack height with spacers.

I have a SpeedBar. You are correct, only up/down adjustability. In my case, I actually sent them my bar, which added a non-trivial amount to the cost and effort to get one. My quick review would be that it is better than a regular aerobar, but not anywhere near worth the cost, especially with so many other options either out now or coming soon. I will say that when you are riding on the flats and the road is smooth, they are great . . . you can just relax into them and it does feel like they allow you to put out more power in that situation as a result. On the con side, what I learned about how I ride on the aerobars is that with my a regular aerobar I must have been pushing back against the tips with some effort to keep myself from sliding forward. You can't do this with the SpeedBar, and especially when it is hot/humid and the pads become slick, it becomes difficult to not slide forward out of the position you want to have (interested if anyone knows of any 'grippy' foam padding). I wish I would have gotten a steeper angle as a result, but no going back now! I have no data or comment to make on their aero-ness.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Full-contact aero bars (with hydration?) [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got on ebay and found a yoga mat that I will cut up and glue on with some gripping on it (hopefully). Also hoping it won't compress like the foam I have on there now and was a fraction of the cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
I wish I would have gotten a steeper angle as a result, but no going back now!

Isn't this one of the few things you actually can adjust on these? You can just get an angled spacer
Quote Reply
Re: Full-contact aero bars (with hydration?) [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

man that turned out great. those look awesome.

also, as an aside, i bet you pretty much cant lose your bike in transition!!!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Full-contact aero bars (with hydration?) [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest issue I confronted was getting the bars in my bike bag with the steep angle. I worked out that I take them totally off the bike and put in a plastic bag in my clothes bag which is just wide enough for the base bar works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen any hard data. Grant Bingham from Wattshop commented the following over on the Lucy Charles Speed Bar thread:

"Our extensions will reduce your CdA by 0.002-0.004, but we have seen outliers saving up to 0.007m^2. Depending on speed this will dictate watt saving."

It's hard to quantify the benefits of comfort, but that's one of the compelling aspects for me. I still can't make it through a full IM bike leg without a fair bit of lower back stretching over the last couple hours. I'm thinking the high rise of this style of bars should allow for a slightly less aggressive body angle, since the bars will be breaking the wind higher up than traditional horizontal type bars. But who knows, maybe that's a terrible idea.

My personal carrots for the next couple years are (a) qualify for 70.3 worlds and I get to buy a set of these bars and (b) qualify for Kona and I get to shell out the cash for a full aero test (wind tunnel or velodrome, whichever is deemed more effective at that time). So we should have some solid data at least by 2022 :)

If I was just concerned about easy aero gainz, I should probably buy a wheelbuilder rear wheel cover already.

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, another new option entered the "market" last weekend, with the HUUB-Wattbike team moving from The WattShop Dirty Aero extensions (I believe WattShop belongs to their own founder, Dan Bigham?) and are now riding extensions made by Pentaxia.

I think the discussion needs to uncouple the recent advancements in positions seen by the bleeding edge of cycling and triathlon, to the integrated bars. As Frodeno and Kienle have shown, you can ride full-contact bars also with your arms completely level, which may be fastest for them given their set of constraints. Likewise, arms-up positions do not require a full-contact bar although it might make it easier to achieve.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Full-contact aero bars (with hydration?) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Isn't this one of the few things you actually can adjust on these? You can just get an angled spacer

I tried that because I have an angled spacer, but you also need an angled washer for the bolts, or some way to shim the bolts. Unfortunately, the holes for the bolts are drilled pretty tight, so I couldn't find a washer that would fit in the hole. I think getting some grippier pads will help a lot, which is probably the easier solution. I actually got some 'grip tape', the kind you put on stairs and put a few pieces on top of the pads. It worked great, but I had scrapes and bruises on my forearms for two weeks after a long ride, ha.

One other note about the SpeedBar's lack of adjustability . . . you are locked into a particular base bar. So in my case, Dimond came out with a new base bar designed to work well with the geometry of the beam, but I can't use it. Anyway, I don't want to sound that down about it, but it really does come with some challenges and I just think that's incongruous with the cost.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by bar designed for the beam (sounds like marketing btw)? Did they recently come out with their own bar or are you referring to the 51speedshop bars? The Pro bar is one of the fastest bars out there so you shouldn't be down about that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like your idea of sending them your bar, I could do the same. What degree rise did you end up going with? Have you been able to fix the problem of pulling back against them at all? What changes would you have made hindsight 20/20 to fix this issue?

I am still thinking this my be best option for me, speed bar vs wattshop.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are an engineering company specialized in 3d printing, we have immersed ourselves in the world of cycling, manufacturing almost any type of custom parts.

Our main products today are aerobars (NOWIND) and toolboxes (NOWORRY), with the main feature that each and every one of our items is 100% sized for your bike and your needs.

We scan your position on the bike so that the NOWIND is 100% fit and confortable for you.
This condition makes it totally aero and fast.

You can see our work at: http://uniqocustombikes.com/

If you need more information contact us at: info@uniqocustombikes.com
Greetings, Alba.

Last edited by: Uniqo: Nov 5, 20 5:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can vouch for D2Z. For us mortals who don't want to spend $1,500+ on some aero bars with arm cup built in D2Z are a good option. Full contact, adjustable, BTA hydration is not an issue, and they are way more comfy than round bars. Are they "as fast" as a speed bar type set up??????? I have no idea but I do know they are not any slower than a traditional round bar and they are great for comfort which is the reason I bough them.
Quote Reply
Re: Full-contact aero bars (with hydration?) [Uniqo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any adjustability? Or once scanned that is it?? What about width?
Quote Reply
Re: Full-contact aero bars (with hydration?) [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, you should adjuste your position on a biomechanic. Then we scan the position of your arms.

Each NOWIND is customizable for each triathlete. No nowind is the same as the previous one.
Answering your question, of course, it's possible to modify the width and everything you want.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uniqo wrote:
First, you should adjuste your position on a biomechanic. Then we scan the position of your arms.

Each NOWIND is customizable for each triathlete. No nowind is the same as the previous one.
Answering your question, of course, it's possible to modify the width and everything you want.

How do you make the extension wider than the bolts they are attached to? I don’t mean the width of the arm rest, I mean the width of how far apart the extensions are from each other. How do you add or reduce height after the molds have been made and purchased and used if someone wants to alter their position by say 10mm up or down? I understand you can do anything before. I’m wondering if there is any adjustments that can be made after the final product is made.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 5, 20 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Full-contact aero bars (with hydration?) [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That modification would have a solution, of course .
But the ideal would be not to have to modify it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uniqo wrote:
That modification would have a solution, of course .
But the ideal would be not to have to modify it.

You keep saying "of course", but there is nothing I can find on the website that would indicate such adjustability. Can you describe it here and/or share pictures? the product is very intriguing. But, at least, to me, it looks like a product that is cast in stone once it is molded to an athlete's specifications.
Quote Reply

Prev Next