Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bike: Cervelo or Canyon
Quote | Reply
Currently ride Cervelo P5 2012 56. I have had a lot of success on this bike. Looking at P5, P3x, Canyon CF SLX 8.0 SL, or CF SLX 9.0 LTD. Sizing on Canyon shows I would need medium. I think I would need 56 in P5 and L in P3X but I would get at local shop. I like the new P5 but for the price I could get a Canyon with a set of good racing wheels vs just training wheels on P5. Thoughts on these bikes? Would I see much benefit over my current P5?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Cervelo or Canyon [brett13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Premier Tactical?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brett13 wrote:
Would I see much benefit over my current P5?

nope...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Cervelo or Canyon [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
brett13 wrote:
Would I see much benefit over my current P5?

nope...

P5 is one of the fastest and best looking bike. I would just upgrade parts, so make it lighter and faster like HED disc and light weight arm rest and aero bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not worth the money. Save your money for upgrades, coaching, fit, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My purely subjective ¢: Get a Cervelo.

The fact that the P5 is the fastest bike on the planet is one of the few generally accepted absolutes in the annals of Slowtwitch lore. So, you already have the fastest bike.

Here's the thing about the Canyons... there is a dearth of comparative aero data on them. There is a lot of speculation that they are slower than many of the leaders (Cervelo, Felt, Trek). And here's the other thing, neither the CF SLX 8.0 SL, or CF SLX 9.0 LTD has wheels I would want to race on. I would ditch both 8.0 wheels, and I could live with front 9.0 wheel. But truly, I would ditch both and get a set of HED 9/disc wheels instead.

The new P5 Disc and P3X are both stunning in their own right. Which is fastest for you is probably unknowable, but you can trust that both are probably very close to your current bike. I would choose the one that looks the best to you.

So, if I were in your shoes, I would get a Cervelo and then get a set of real racing wheels for that beast.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Cervelo or Canyon [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Here's the thing about the Canyons... there is a dearth of comparative aero data on them

But not a total absence. Tour Test 2017 showed the Speedmax SLX in TT setup ~70s slower than a P5-Three over an IM.
In Tri setup it's 90s back
The CF another 2mins back.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Cervelo or Canyon [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would disagree. Getting the P5D to replace my P5 was one that I did not expect much, but it has been far faster and better in every way, much to my surprise. It is definitely faster (for me) than the P5, and it rides so much better, is lighter and the front end is brilliant.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Cervelo or Canyon [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT - This is music to my ears. I unfortunately gave my beautiful P5 Three a big hit on last event that pretty much totalled it (hoping I might be able to rig it up as a permanent turbo trainer). Insurers have been great, new for old and lack of direct replacement frames has led to cash settlement to which I don't have to add too much to get on a P5 Disc Ultegra. This would be absolute dream bike for me but was wondering if it really would be as fast as the old P5 on which I've made great gains this year or whether I should spend less and budget elsewhere. You've encouraged me to chase the dream thank you :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brett13 wrote:
Currently ride Cervelo P5 2012 56. I have had a lot of success on this bike. Looking at P5, P3x, Canyon CF SLX 8.0 SL, or CF SLX 9.0 LTD. Sizing on Canyon shows I would need medium. I think I would need 56 in P5 and L in P3X but I would get at local shop. I like the new P5 but for the price I could get a Canyon with a set of good racing wheels vs just training wheels on P5. Thoughts on these bikes? Would I see much benefit over my current P5?
Thanks

The current king of Kona set the world on fire: Canyon
T.O 2nd at Kona: Trek
Sebi 3rd at Kona: Scott.
Skipper destroyed IMFL: QR
Hoff was damn close after top 5 at Kona: Cervelo

Other notables
Javi Gomez: Specialized
Ali Brownlee: Scott

As for the "cyclist" in multi sport
Starky: Orbea
Wurf: Pinarello

Pick the bike that you like and train like hell... and by like I mean the one you can afford look the coolest. WT data is a marketing metric for the most part. The odds of you showing up to a venue and mimicking WT conditions are slim and none. The odds of you kitting out a bike and looking the part? Much MUCH better.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Cervelo or Canyon [claypole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
claypole wrote:
was wondering if it really would be as fast as the old P5
Here's Cervelo's published comparison between the old P5 and new P5 disc. The gist is that they look roughly equivalent.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would upgrade your P5 personally. That's a god awful amount of money to buy a new Canyon from your LBS.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Cervelo or Canyon [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, to be honest it was that chart that had me doubting, the more so as it's impossible to know exactly what was being compared except that with the "TT" quote one assumes it was a naked P5Three v a new P5 Disc sans smart packs and rear bottle holder. To my mind that chart if anything shows the new bike to be marginally slower if the yaw angles are averaged to those most likely seen on event, ie ignoring those far above 10 degrees. Especially if you consider the easy mods that could improve the P5 Three (handlebar / Tri Rig brakes.)
Totally agree with previous comment ref Tunnel Data and marketing - couldn't honestly say I don't look at tunnel data but am very aware that race day data will bear very little resemblance to it for a multitude of reasons. But "fast" is about so much more than tunnel data and that's what encouraged me in CPC's comments. When we race we don't sit static in a wind tunnel, the bike has to work in so many other ways which probably equate to far more seconds than a few aero watts. And yes, ultimately, buy the bike you like! :-0
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Cervelo or Canyon [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Masnart wrote:
I would upgrade your P5 personally. That's a god awful amount of money to buy a new Canyon from your LBS.

Canyon would be direct saleale not LBS which maybe bring it's own issues regarding fit and support.

I would get the P3X from a good LBS and I am.a big Canyon fan
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Cervelo or Canyon [brett13 & exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

Here's the thing about the Canyons... there is a dearth of comparative aero data on them.

I found the premier tactical to be 2-4w faster than the Canyon from 0 to -10.

You can go to the Aeroshoot out paper we did and then extrapolate those since the Premier & P56 were in the paper and then take Cervelo's data for the P5D and you'll have a close enough comparison for grams of drag & watts difference.

To Brett13:
Out of those 4 bikes I mentioned though, the Canyon is the least fastest.

Remember though it also comes down to fit, adjustability, ease of wrenching, ease for traveling and any other criteria you may have

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is 100% non scientific and anecdotal but I recently upgraded from a 2015 P5 to a P5D and although I only have 2 rides on the P5D but it felt faster to me. Although there are other factors that could be involved (I dropped the stem a touch) I was able to average 40kph over 100km training ride that I normally average 38.5kph on similar watts. Without question that can’t be all the bike but all the time’s I did that out and back I never went over 39kph average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brett13 wrote:
Thanks

Here are my thoughts, just make sure you read the disclosure in the post ;)

https://www.bw-tri.com/single-post/P5vsSLX

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Cervelo or Canyon [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
I would disagree. Getting the P5D to replace my P5 was one that I did not expect much, but it has been far faster and better in every way, much to my surprise. It is definitely faster (for me) than the P5, and it rides so much better, is lighter and the front end is brilliant.

'far faster'....really? Were the brakes jammed on the P5, or have you only ridden the 5D down hill?
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Cervelo or Canyon [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny! No, I rode the P5 for 7 years on many courses and roads, and have rode the P5D on the same (a few) and have gone faster on less power and set KOMs easier. I don't have a ton of data points but one race in September really gave me positive thoughts. A 70.3 on a flat course in similar weather saw me go about the same time on much less power. Bikes were 100% the same outside of the frameset.

Even if it turns out to be just a bit faster, it is a MUCH better bike.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply