Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Losing power from arm width?
Quote | Reply
This past year of racing I've found that the power on my bike during races has dropped about 10%, despite workouts being similar to years of past indicating no particular growth, but certainly not a decrease. My position has remained the same, although on a new bike. One thing I have changed is my arm width, and I've tried to come as narrow as possible. When I get onto the bike (during a race) I find that I'm very weak and my HR is incredibly high. I do not believe I'm swimming harder. In fact, the last couple races, I've purposely swam even easier to see if that was the problem. I was wondering if bringing my arms in too much might affect my power output. My thinking is that bring them in too narrow is causing my body unnecessary stress to hold the position thus forcing my oxygen to help with that. Additionally, could I be closing in my lungs or something of that nature, where I'm even allowing less oxygen in and out by getting too narrow? I was just curious if there's any validity behind these pondering, or if I need to begin to look elsewhere to fix my problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power from arm width? [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
This past year of racing I've found that the power on my bike during races has dropped about 10%, despite workouts being similar to years of past indicating no particular growth, but certainly not a decrease. My position has remained the same, although on a new bike. One thing I have changed is my arm width, and I've tried to come as narrow as possible. When I get onto the bike (during a race) I find that I'm very weak and my HR is incredibly high. I do not believe I'm swimming harder. In fact, the last couple races, I've purposely swam even easier to see if that was the problem. I was wondering if bringing my arms in too much might affect my power output. My thinking is that bring them in too narrow is causing my body unnecessary stress to hold the position thus forcing my oxygen to help with that. Additionally, could I be closing in my lungs or something of that nature, where I'm even allowing less oxygen in and out by getting too narrow? I was just curious if there's any validity behind these pondering, or if I need to begin to look elsewhere to fix my problem.

You may be causing yourself some muscular stress by pulling your arms in, but I seriously doubt it is restricting your breathing. This is a pretty simple to try to fix. Widen you pads and see if that changes anything.

Are you having issues riding without swimming first?

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power from arm width? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

You may be causing yourself some muscular stress by pulling your arms in, but I seriously doubt it is restricting your breathing. This is a pretty simple to try to fix. Widen you pads and see if that changes anything.

I'll agree with the above.

I've found in dabbling with my TT position that that dimension didn't ever really hurt me. The dimensions to me that has seemed to hurt power are a combo of hip angle and reach.

If I'm reaching too far, I find I can't make power as well. I also find the traditional hip angle measurement to ring pretty true to real world performance as something to pay attention to.

Does the new bike have a lower stack perhaps also and you missed this in your fit setup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you got a new bike with a narrower cockpit did you also get a new power meter?
Is your speed and placing in your age group also slower?
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power from arm width? [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bifff wrote:
When you got a new bike with a narrower cockpit did you also get a new power meter?
Is your speed and placing in your age group also slower?

Good questions, Might want to reply directly to the OP.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

Thanks for the information! I am not. However, I am somewhat lazy and don't ride much in aero during training ride because (A) I live in an area with a lot of stop and go (B) it's super hilly. I've never had a problem doing most of my riding not in aero and then transferring it to being in aero for 2-2.5hrs in a 70.3. Also, I think I am someone who benefits largely from a bike warm up.
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power from arm width? [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the same power meter. I am placing about the same. and my USAT point result/ranking (FWIW) are consistent, although they were maybe a 1-1.5 point worse than last year. Power was usually around 250 for an Olympic. This year it's been around 220-225ish.
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power from arm width? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I switched form a TM01 M-S to a small Canyon Speedmax. Stack went from 515 to 510 so not a huge difference? Although I am 176cm tall and the Speedmax small suggests <175cm.
Quote Reply