Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gamechangers - netflix
Quote | Reply
A film about veganism / plant based diets / vegetarianism.

I think it's worth a watch. If only to see mcgregor handed his arse by Diaz :)

I think it's provides quite a lot of food for thought to excuse the pun

I'm mid 40's have young kids, a family history of cardiac issues and I wonder whether some fundamental changes are necessary.

The interesting data is not meat / veganism, but that being mostly vegetarian or only eating white meat does not offer similar benefits.

It's worth watching.
Quote Reply
Re: Gamechangers - netflix [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a long discussion on this on the main forum.
A LOT of the 'science' in the documentary is not true, twisted, misinterpreted, and not understood. It's also incredibly biased.
Although it's good to reflect on how and what we eat, I also think it's important to present things accurately and objectively and this
documentary was anything but.
Quote Reply
Re: Gamechangers - netflix [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
There is a long discussion on this on the main forum.
A LOT of the 'science' in the documentary is not true, twisted, misinterpreted, and not understood. It's also incredibly biased.
Although it's good to reflect on how and what we eat, I also think it's important to present things accurately and objectively and this
documentary was anything but.

That was my general consensus as well. One of my colleagues in my office is a novice rock climber and weight lifter who idolizes Arnold. He was surprised Arnold endorsed this. I reminded him that Arnold won a lot of competitions doing exactly the opposite of what he was now allegedly supporting.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Gamechangers - netflix [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recognise that. I also recognise that there is lots of evidence with respect to cancer and chd that's worth pondering.

There's another forum here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I recognise that. I also recognise that there is lots of evidence with respect to cancer and chd that's worth pondering.

There's another forum here?

I would call that "evidence". It's always important to look at studies and how they are conducted. Many of the studies they site or claim are people filling out questioners, have no control for the "meat eaters" in regards to sugar intake, fast food, etc. It's about as honest as a carnivore diet with only organic, grass fed, high quality beef and game meat vs a "vegetarian" who only eats soy based meat substitute and potato chips and skittles to claim that the carnivore diet is better. On both sides of the coin, there are not very many studies that are able to be done in a reasonable way. Usually it's just surveys or people being told to try something and hope they do for months or years on end.

Hard to do a 6 month to 1 year double blind study on food. Hard to placebo a steak or a salad ;).

~Brad
Quote Reply
Re: Gamechangers - netflix [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the celebrity endorsements are just that, paid endorsements.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched it this weekend and was ready to clean all the meat out of the fridge and head to the vegetable section of Publix. Then went over to youtube and saw all the "Game Changers Debunked" postings and watched a little of Joe Rogan talking about it as well.

Nutrition is one subject that is science based yet offers no consensus. You can go from Keto, Vegan, Palio, Mediteratean, High fat, low fat, high carb, low carb and everything in between and find someone who supports it with anecdotal support and studies.

I was verging on going straight Keto and high fat but if you watch the vegan folks they would claim that's insanity. The High Fat keto meat eaters will say Vegans don't get enough of the proper minerals and nutrients. Add to the fact my relatives all eat high fat, high cholesterol meals their entire lives and all live into their 90's.

I lost 40 pounds in a 4 month period and dropped 18 percent body fat from counting calories, eating high protein, no sugar, moderate fat and low carb in my mid 40's. All blood markers improved as well. I ate a ton of chicken and steak.

Main stat that sat with me from Joe Rogan was that of all folks who try going vegan a very small percentage stick with it for an extended period of time. I have found that true in my personal life with friends too. A few have gone 5 or more years but most give it up after before that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll summarize what I wrote in the other thread.

Here is what we know:

1. Watching what you eat matters.
2. The quality of your food matters. Focus on non processed food, quality ingredients, fresh fruits and veggies, limit red meat, eat some poultry, seafood if you like and focus on quality items.

If you look at all the large cohort nutrition studies be them vegan, vegetarian, keto, mediterranean etc. they all get very similar conclusions and it's nearly always because food quality (arguably difficult to define precisely) is the major confounding factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

I think it's worth a watch. If only to see mcgregor handed his arse by Diaz :)

McGregor cut weight to fight another opponent who backed out last minute. Diaz was replacement.. in a higher weight class. It's harder to gain lean muscle back... So you can see movie to many things out of context. But yea, refer back to main page thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw a guy I haven't seen in a year -- community dad, middle aged -- who on inspiration of Game Changers etc went vegan and no alcohol.

He was in good shape before -- cyclist, serious hiker -- but was carrying some podge and hitting the weed fairly often, eyes always bloodshot.

Anyway, he looked incredible. Skin glowing like a teenager's, lean, completely clear eyed. Seriously 15 years younger.

pretty good advertisement for the lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The food studies suck. It's nearly impossible to really know what people are eating, and what shape they were in prior to a diet change. As a result, these studies are almost entirely based on correlation. If you're eating garbage and you go vegetarian, or low/no carb, you're going to lose weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.mysportscience.com/...is-it-sensationalism

Asker J knows a thing or 2 about nutrition science.
Quote Reply