Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I train for 70.3 or full Ironman distance?
Quote | Reply
So, not really considering one or the other A/B race, I have a 70.3 (Les Sables D'Olonne, France) on July 5th next year and then a full Ironman (Kalmar) about six weeks later.

Off season is about to end, and I'm going to start structured training again next week. I was planning on using a program aimed at Ironman distance, 8-10ish hour pr week, TSS in the 500-850 range over about 40 weeks. General sessions of about one hour, longer endurance rides/runs in the weekends (up to about 5h rides, 2:30h runs).

So, the question I guess I'm asking is:

To be able to perform optimal in BOTH races, should the training be Ironman-oriented or 70.3 oriented?

Ambition-wise, I'm not going to qualify for Kona, however a 70.3 WC-spot could be within reach if I have an optimal race and I'm a little bit lucky with the roll-down. The ultimate goal however is to secure enough points to be AWA for 2021, which probably means I should prioritize the full distance.

Anyone have some advice?

Ken
Quote Reply
Re: Should I train for 70.3 or full Ironman distance? [midlife_trisis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specifically with regards to AWA, there is a 70.3 classification, meaning it's possible to qualify without racing a single full Ironman.

You can check your age group here and get an idea of the points/times needed to qualify at each of the three levels (gold, silver, bronze) for the 2019 season and plan accordingly:

https://eu.ironman.com/...-.aspx#axzz64P63cK1Q

For instance, in my age group (M30-34), the last guy to qualify 70.3 AWA Gold for the 2019 season got 8,425 points racing 5:22, 4:56, and 5:16. Gives a ballpark idea of what I'd need to qualify gold next year.

Hope that's helpful!

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Re: Should I train for 70.3 or full Ironman distance? [midlife_trisis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on your current abilities and your training history.
If you trained for years on endurance but miss some speed a 70.3 or even olympic-distance program should be better.
If however you're very fast on olympic distances but unsure about how to feel deep in the 180 km or the marathon you should maybe do the long things (which you seem to plan).

One thing which I do not understand: you plan to train 8-10 h/week with 5 hour rides and 2:30 hour runs?
That's already alone 7:30 hours, leaving half an hour for the rest?
Quote Reply
Re: Should I train for 70.3 or full Ironman distance? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
It depends on your current abilities and your training history.
If you trained for years on endurance but miss some speed a 70.3 or even olympic-distance program should be better.
If however you're very fast on olympic distances but unsure about how to feel deep in the 180 km or the marathon you should maybe do the long things (which you seem to plan).

I'm pretty much a "the shorter race the better" kind of athlete, I guess. Sprints was what got me into triathlons, I have a cycling background and got decent results in regional races (top 10). Then I moved on to 70.3 and placed top 30%. At Ironman France this year I was 275th of 500, but this was my first one so I didn't really race it. In regards to what you're saying, I should probably stick with the plan, and maybe add some extra speed work sessions in the weeks leading up to the 70.3, and cut down on the endurance rides?

longtrousers wrote:
One thing which I do not understand: you plan to train 8-10 h/week with 5 hour rides and 2:30 hour runs?
That's already alone 7:30 hours, leaving half an hour for the rest?

So, the plan starts with 8-10 h/week, and gradually builds up to 14 h/week. That's when the long endurance rides kick in. I see why that didn't make sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My (triathlon) goal in life is to do a sub-10 hour Ironman. The one time where I trained enough to where I easily could have done it, I had been training for something even harder - an Ultraman. So my personal opinion is that if you want to kill it out there in a race (70.3), then train for something even harder (140.6). But this has a lot to do with how delusional you are that you train enough. If you think you train enough and are still missing your mark, then you sound like a prime candidate type to train for something even harder to trick you into doing the actual work required to be awesome at your real goal.

Another example - training for 100 mile trail runs is what it finally took to make me good at 50 milers.

Sounds dumb, but you have to figure out yourself and your own quirks and work with those and use them to your advantage.
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Nov 5, 19 7:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want AWA, add a 3rd WTC race of either distance. Training for any of them is optional. To get status with two races, probably best to train for IM to get the most points out of that. You may give up some speed and points for 70.3 but you'd give up much more training for 70.3 and trying to do well in an IM. Finally, why is AWA important to you? I appreciate being able to cut the line sometimes and like the low bib number when swims are cancelled but other than that, its not something I I would specifically chase.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Should I train for 70.3 or full Ironman distance? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
If you want AWA, add a 3rd WTC race of either distance. Training for any of them is optional. To get status with two races, probably best to train for IM to get the most points out of that. You may give up some speed and points for 70.3 but you'd give up much more training for 70.3 and trying to do well in an IM. Finally, why is AWA important to you? I appreciate being able to cut the line sometimes and like the low bib number when swims are cancelled but other than that, its not something I I would specifically chase.

I know it's more of a "the more races you do (money you put in) the higher ranking you get" than really a results-based thing, but then again, it's kind of a recognition of effort and dedication none the less, right? For those uf us who aren't going to be standing on any podium anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
midlife_trisis wrote:
hadukla wrote:

I know it's more of a "the more races you do (money you put in) the higher ranking you get" than really a results-based thing, but then again, it's kind of a recognition of effort and dedication none the less, right? For those uf us who aren't going to be standing on any podium anytime soon.

I won't lie, I love my American Airlines status, even as the perks are so much more valuable there than AWA. But yeah, I get it

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply