Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
That's cool and all. But most of us aren't on strava for their workout analysis. We're there for the social aspect and not their paid content...so how do you monetize the 99% of users?
You add features that are social-focused that people want.
… which would add zero extra value to members who primarily train solo.

It's inconceivable that at this day and age you can configure gear on your Strava account (bikes/shoes) that cannot be automagically detected from the ingested sensor data. If I have two bikes with a speed/cadence sensor on each, it shouldn't be a rocket scientist project to have any ride automagically tagged against the right bike. At any other company, this would be an intern project, but apparently Strava lacks the will / skill to get such a stupid-ass feature done. End rant.

any garmin dropped that ages ago... I remember being able to pick a bike on the menu.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know that macOS and iOS are all variants of Unix, right? People do want an integrated environment to do things easily and coherently. The problem with Apple is that they seem to think they know all the answers and the one true best way to do anything, and therefore their UX/UI design doesn’t leave much room for user to customize their own experience, and worse, they themselves change just because.

Back to Strava, they are stuck in a weird place. They amassed a large market share for a niche market, but to breakout, they need to do something strategic and bigger. For us, it would appear competing or even acquiring companies like TrainerRoads makes sense, but to the growth focused management and investors, these are just too small a deal for them. So unless something or some features was really big, Strava just wasn’t focused enough to do it. I don’t know in what context the founders are coming back, perhaps it’s a sign they are getting back to heads down and start building again.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
You know that macOS and iOS are all variants of Unix, right?

Yeah. Somewhere deep below the proprietary stuff is BSD/Mach. Or was. The Unix philosophy is long gone to the end-user though. Which is fine. It's just a different philosophy. But I'm still a fan of doing one thing really well, generally speaking. Google does a great mapping system. Facebook does great social. Strava does great segment-processing and workout logging.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 5, 19 20:27
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would thought that they are well placed to take over replace training Peaks. Add in just a little bit of analytics, get rid of WAP and get NP.

I and plenty others already ditched TP for strava.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
That's cool and all. But most of us aren't on strava for their workout analysis. We're there for the social aspect and not their paid content...so how do you monetize the 99% of users?
You add features that are social-focused that people want.
… which would add zero extra value to members who primarily train solo.

It's inconceivable that at this day and age you can configure gear on your Strava account (bikes/shoes) that cannot be automagically detected from the ingested sensor data. If I have two bikes with a speed/cadence sensor on each, it shouldn't be a rocket scientist project to have any ride automagically tagged against the right bike. At any other company, this would be an intern project, but apparently Strava lacks the will / skill to get such a stupid-ass feature done. End rant.

Not everything will be targeted at everyone, and that's cool. Other Strava features like Segments also add very little value to most triathletes too - because it'd be rare that you're chasing segments in a typical training plan.

I agree on your automatic gear tagging. The data is in the files already (heck, we do it on the DCR Analyzer already), it's trivial to do. But again...I don't feel like Strava actually feature plans. Or, at least, they don't feature plan around 'What's something that's awesome sounding for end users?' or even 'What have people been begging for in the Strava community site for years?'.

Coming from a software background, I totally get not all features are sexy or even worth mentioning. And that's fine. But that's also life as a software/platforms company. You don't get credit for boring features, you get credit for pushing the platform forward. It felt like over the past few years, Strava thought they got credit for baseline regular maintenance stuff.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray, you owe my dog an apology. I was out walking her this morning and listening to the FIT File. While enjoying our quiet walk, I get to the part where you talk about how trainer companies select which units to send you. No spoilers but my blurt out loud laugh really startled her. That was gold and was a perfect name for the episode.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. if group rides are getting “too big“ ore "regularly" and some thing happens to a participant ore passerby who feels harmed [by the actually strangers] .. that can become a problem for the “announcer“ with the law [club members are protected during club rides in my country {de_de}] .. {a meet up usually doesn't take place in the middle [ore driving lane] of a public street} ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I dropped my paid subscription to Strava because they don't have a good training log at all.

The other thing that will be their doom is the development of e-bikes. We have a great mountain bike area near us that just this year unfortunately allowed e-mtbs. Within a month all of the hillclimb segments were so diluted with e-bike rides it was impossible to report any of them. They flooded the segments and make the one unique feature of strava completely pointless.

I am sure that will happen on road climbs too. Without segments what will be unique about strava?
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:

I dropped my paid subscription to Strava because they don't have a good training log at all.

The other thing that will be their doom is the development of e-bikes. We have a great mountain bike area near us that just this year unfortunately allowed e-mtbs. Within a month all of the hillclimb segments were so diluted with e-bike rides it was impossible to report any of them. They flooded the segments and make the one unique feature of strava completely pointless.

I am sure that will happen on road climbs too. Without segments what will be unique about strava?

I also dropped "Summit" when the feed became non-chronological.

But segments stopped being a big deal for me within a year or so after I started doing Strava. It's still a little fun when I see I got some KOM, but it's just accidental when I do. I don't plan for them in advance, or check, etc. I stopped caring when someone takes a KOM from me. I mostly just use Strava to check up on teammates and friends. Give them a quick comment or Kudos if they did some really cool ride, or won a race. This is why the loss of the chronological feed sucks. When it was chronological I could very quickly find the race from yesterday (or whatever) and check on my buddies. Now I have to spend time scrolling around looking for that race, which annoys me to no end. Some Strava UX developer is presenting how awesome he's doing, "Looks, Trail is spending more time in our feed! He's more engaged and is seeing more ads. So much winning!" Oblivious to the fact that I'm just ticked off.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 7, 19 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does anyone follow the strava support message boards? it is essentially the same complaints listed here with unanimous support from the users, and no response at all from strava. all the things we all hate, leaderboards ruined by ebikes or cars, training log is useless for any sport other than S/B/R, feed algorithm makes no sense, etc etc are discussed ad nauseam, but there is no reply from strava (1-2 years ago there were frequent replies from strava staff, that has vanished ) Someone said it best on the message boards:

“We are not the customer - we are the product.
Strava doesnt care about our subscription payment because their revenue comes from corporations and municipalities that buy our data. Data you and I provide is how they make their money - we work for Strava. Our payment is 'belonging' to the online community.
Strava can do whatever they want, you work for them. “

maybe change in leadership will help

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Some Strava UX developer is presenting how awesome he's doing, "Looks, Trail is spending more time in our feed! He's more engaged and is seeing more ads. So much winning!" Oblivious to the fact that I'm just ticked off.

If they are still using high usage time as one of their KPIs they are welll beyond the ball for modern sw analytics(I work in a sw company that primarily make solutions for work processes, this is the stuff we focus most on).

just saying, really good software you use often, but for a very short time.

BTW: dropped out of Strava premium when I realized live segments just destroyed all my easy rides and that Garmin connect had better analysis for free
Last edited by: EiE_: Nov 8, 19 11:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can just look up the buddies profile, a lot quicker than scrolling endlessly. Explore tab then the search icon in the top right.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:

“We are not the customer - we are the product.
Strava doesnt care about our subscription payment because their revenue comes from corporations and municipalities that buy our data. Data you and I provide is how they make their money - we work for Strava. Our payment is 'belonging' to the online community.
Strava can do whatever they want, you work for them. “

maybe change in leadership will help

THIS, so much THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
You can just look up the buddies profile, a lot quicker than scrolling endlessly. Explore tab then the search icon in the top right.

The fact that this is considered a solution should tell you how much of a disaster the current feed is.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The only ads I ever see on Strava are Strava's ads. I use the free version because...well I use something else for analysis. So...if it's a social network you need to support it with ads.

What do you think all of the challenges are, if not ads? Roka, Aftershockz, icebreaker, Brooks, Veloforte, Goodr, Saucony, Runderwear, Jersey, Clif, Cyclesurgery, etc.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some reason I didn't even think of those as ads...not sure why.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmkizer wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
The only ads I ever see on Strava are Strava's ads. I use the free version because...well I use something else for analysis. So...if it's a social network you need to support it with ads.

What do you think all of the challenges are, if not ads? Roka, Aftershockz, icebreaker, Brooks, Veloforte, Goodr, Saucony, Runderwear, Jersey, Clif, Cyclesurgery, etc.

Sponsorship? They’re paying for the challenge I would assume. I don’t really consider that an ad either.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
jmkizer wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Sponsorship? They’re paying for the challenge I would assume. I don’t really consider that an ad either.

Sponsorship

Definition

Advertising that seeks to establish a deeper association and integration between an advertiser and a publisher, often involving coordinated beyond-the-banner placements.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another subtle form of advertising is the way some products get highlighted in individual activities, like Hammerhead, Wahoo, Zwift, and TrainerRoad.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no discussion of Strava founders returning? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, there's plenty of advertising happening no Strava. Cudo's to them for keeping from feeling like a spamfest, though.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I understand that. But most people don’t see that as an ad. I understand that it’s advertising.

But no one is going oh my gosh the “Specialized Hill Climb Challenge”, is the worst advertising ever. It’s just the name of it people move on.
Quote Reply

Prev Next