Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recuring hamstring injury, need help!
Quote | Reply
62 years old men here, DNF NYC marathon yesterday with hamstring injury!
For the last 10 years I have an injury that comes and go but I cannot get rid or it!
Usually, there is pain in deeper part of hamstring which increase with distance or intensity!
For exemple, i would start to have pain at 10 km in marathon, then builds up to hard pain like cramping after 30 km run then usually i limp until the end of marathon!
This often feels like a cramp getting worse
I had many treatments over the years but it always come back
I had mri done and they saw some old scars in the middle of my hamstring but no clues how to get rid of it
Yesterday was an other case since it was a sharp pain at the same place but so sharp that I has to stop at 10 km and go to the hotel !
Did you ever experience something like it and how did you fix it?
Funny part is that I dont have any problem biking!
Thanks for yiur help
Quote Reply
Re: Recuring hamstring injury, need help! [ppkestrel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
This is the story of my running life as well. I have had a re-occurring hamstring injury for the past 5 years or so. Mine is also a fickle injury that comes and goes as well. I have been through many, many PT's. I steer clear of anyone who recommends aggressive stretching since stretching generally makes the injury worse. Gentle stretching okay. Earlier this year I saw a new PT who started me on the McKenzie method of treating the back (lumbar) to address the leg pain. They did have me stop running for about 4 months and I stopped biking for about 2 months. This has actually worked for the most part. My hamstring still has it's fickle times (mostly speedwork). I was also told at one point that I had a hyper-flexible SI joint and got Prolotherapy for this (1 treatment) and I didn't think it did anything and other PT's said that this was not the problem. I have had MRI's done and it showed inflammation and/or scar tissue.
I am mostly really careful with speedwork. Hamstring doesn't usually bother on the bike either. I hope that helps Good luck!
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Recuring hamstring injury, need help! [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the answer!
Same for me regarding speed work, as soon as I do 400 meters or i00 meters fast, I get injured again!
I did ROTH Iron distance in July and was very carefull in the training and I didn’t do speed work since anyway my marathon pave would be slow ( i did 5h13 marathon) but I was hoping to do a 3h59 marathon in Valencia in a month so I would need some speed work!
Will rest and start biking soon.
Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Squats and deadlifts and talk to your doctor and PT

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Recuring hamstring injury, need help! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

This is the sort of thing that helped resolve mine too. Simply taking time off from running did nothing for me, and no, don't try to stretch an injured hamstring!

Strengthening everything on either end of the hamstring (glutes, calves, etc) is what finally ended my 2 year high hamstring tendonopathy. Eventually I added in light hamstring curls as well, but not until it was pain free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really injured my hammy a few years ago. Did not know what it was and kept going. Finally saw a wonderful PT who helped me get going again. When progress flatlined, she sent me to a sports med doc. MRI showed tons of scar tissue and calcification. (Side note: Shop around for MRI options. You can often find places where that is all they do and they have different rates based on when you are available to come in. A buddy in Detroit went at 2am and saved several hundred $$$).

Anyway, we did PRP. The doc's experience was higher than the national average. I don't recall numbers, but I was desperate to be able to run and ride again (like you, hard work about killed me). 3 months of NOTHING, then we started recovery. Work was hard as I could not lift much weight. (I could swim but not use my legs. I did not trust myself so took it as a serious break). Then the PT and I slowly got me doing stuff again. She was in contact with the Dr throughout everything.

If you want to know more, give me a shout.

Since you know you have scar tissue buildup, I suggest you find an experienced PRP sports doc. Investigate your options. One that works with a PT. At this point, what do you have to lose by investigating?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure eccentric hamstring curls are part of your strength routine.

The only way to get rid of it is to properly load the muscle. Eccentric curls and hamstring bridges.

Also, do a search for mortysct on this forum.
He is the Gold Standard when it comes to tendinopathy treatment.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Recuring hamstring injury, need help! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
This. Get stronger! Single leg RDL, hamstring and glute bridges. You can use sliders to make the bridges eccentric/concentric too. TBH I doubt a doctor would add much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for your answer, very helpful!
It seems that glutes workout is key!
I do not believe it is on tendons but more on the middle/deep part of the hamstring
Will follow your advices and hopefully it will work
Since biking on home trainer doesnt hurt, should I bike or better to skip all legs work for a while?
I have Valencia marathonin a month, I believe I should skip it, but 40 of my friends are planning to do it so I hesitate to try!
Quote Reply
Re: Recuring hamstring injury, need help! [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My PT has me doing eccentric curls and bridges among other things.

This is the first time I've had a running injury so i don't have much experience with this but rest, strengthening, stretching, Grafton (sp?) and time are getting me through this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ppkestrel wrote:
Thanks to all for your answer, very helpful!
It seems that glutes workout is key!
I do not believe it is on tendons but more on the middle/deep part of the hamstring
Will follow your advices and hopefully it will work
Since biking on home trainer doesnt hurt, should I bike or better to skip all legs work for a while?
I have Valencia marathonin a month, I believe I should skip it, but 40 of my friends are planning to do it so I hesitate to try!

Don't kid yourself. I'll bet dollars to donuts that it's high hamstring tendinopathy. Rest will not cure it. Glute work alone will not cure it.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ppkestrel wrote:
62 years old men here, DNF NYC marathon yesterday with hamstring injury!
For the last 10 years I have an injury that comes and go but I cannot get rid or it!
Usually, there is pain in deeper part of hamstring which increase with distance or intensity!
For exemple, i would start to have pain at 10 km in marathon, then builds up to hard pain like cramping after 30 km run then usually i limp until the end of marathon!
This often feels like a cramp getting worse
I had many treatments over the years but it always come back
I had mri done and they saw some old scars in the middle of my hamstring but no clues how to get rid of it
Yesterday was an other case since it was a sharp pain at the same place but so sharp that I has to stop at 10 km and go to the hotel !
Did you ever experience something like it and how did you fix it?
Funny part is that I dont have any problem biking!
Thanks for yiur help

!!!

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should I do squats, curls and so on if I have moderate pain or wait until I am painfree?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find Mortystc's reply in this thread. It's on page 5.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/High_Hamstring_Tendinopathy_Rehab_Protocol_P2979770-5

If you are willing to go slow, be thorough and follow his advice, you will get past this.
HHT dogged me for two years. I found this and 6 months later...kabam! Gone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the early phase of rehab isometric or eccentric load will often irritate the injury less.
Quote Reply