Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best IM training sunscreen these days (now that Planet Sun is no more)??
Quote | Reply
Back in the day when looking for sunscreen, I found this thread which led me to Planet Sun and have used religiously during IM training and racing with GREAT results. That stuff is simply amazing as it would still be protecting me after 6 hour rides, 5 hour races and even during IM races. Unfortunately, it looks like they are no longer in business. Does anyone have any suggestions to alternatives. In looking around I've seen the following suggestions but not sure how they compare to Planet Sun and their outright recommendations from everyone who had used it. Haven't seen the same resounding recommendations for other brands. Anyone care to educate me on the latest leader?

• Blue Lizard
  • Riemann P20
  • Zealios - while still far less seem to be more people recommending this one than the others.
  • Any others

Quote Reply
Re: Best IM training sunscreen these days (now that Planet Sun is no more)?? [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife started using Zealios a couple of years ago when they were demo'ing it at IMAZ.

She is very fair skinned and has been able to return from trips to very sunny trips (including a trip to Cozumel) without getting a sunburn.

(It is a sun barrier ... but it has worked very well for us)

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM training sunscreen these days (now that Planet Sun is no more)?? [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on Zealios. That stuff is great but also very expensive.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using P20 for years and never get burned when using it.

I'll accept that I'm in the UK and not death valley or the Sahara.
But equally being in the UK and fair skinned / red hair (under the grey) I'm relatively 'prone' to burning.
And I do travel to rather warmer places too.

One of my training buddies uses it too with good results, and he's and as pale and pasty as it comes.

Only warning I have is that it CAN stain some clothing eg white shirts until it has 'hardened off' after the initial application. I simply make sure I use it before going out and give it a bit of time before putting anything light coloured back on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Kinesys spf30 with good results.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm very pale and have vitiligo (no pigment) all over and I've always used Coppertone Sport SPF50. I just carry a bottle with me on long rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used Zealios in Kona and didn’t burn

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone with fair Irish skin and a family history of skin cancer, Zealios is the only sunscreen I trust on my skin.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zealios is by far the best I’ve ever used

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM training sunscreen these days (now that Planet Sun is no more)?? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I use Kinesys spf30 with good results.

I really like Kinesys as well. Goes on well even on wet skin in T1 and spf 30 has been enough to avoid a burn even at November IMs in Mexico, which suggests it stays on a long time (I dont reapply in T2)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So one, I enjoyed P20 a lot before:

Two, as an extremely white dude who trained all last year in North Carolina: Man, nothing beats arm and leg sleeves. It's great to spend 6 or 7 hours on the bike and literally never even care about whether you're going to burn in extreme UV. I have no data, of course, but I will absolutely claim that I felt cooler too as a result of my skin not feeling the beating sun. So it's not the question you asked, but especially for training where there's no issue with the time to pull it on, no brainer for me. Even in a race, I am confident you can get sleeves on faster than the volunteered could properly SS you.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Nov 4, 19 19:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bought zealios a few years ago at an ironman expo, it's all i use now. i like their shampoo/body wash as well, great for post-swim.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Side note, make sure you're getting enough Vit D.

I had melanoma, in situ, which means it was localized and removed. I've been OCD with sun protection since. Unfortunately, I had a stress fracture this year. After some additional workup, I was diagnosed vit D deficiency and that likely contributed to it.

But back to your original question...I think the best protection is with clothing since you don't have to worry about reapplication. I like the Kiwami kona aero top. There's an aero benefit and it makes wetsuit removal quicker. I use desoto cooling sleeves for the run.

BTW, I think I know who you are. I'm not sure if we have met in person, but I think we have mutual friends from CARE group.
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM training sunscreen these days (now that Planet Sun is no more)?? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would really like for Zealios to make a spray!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the Kinesys 30 and 50, which I've used for years. It's a pump spray, lightweight and clear, applies well to wet/sweaty skin, and they also sell in 1 oz. bottles that you can run with out of T2 and apply on the move, then ditch the container at the first aid station.

For ears and nose, I sometimes go more heavy-duty with the thick 50+ stuff from Aloe Gator or Laroche-Posay.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zealios - it's light, non-greasy, breathable, unscented, and doesn't run when I sweat. I also don't seem to breakout when I use it on my face, so that's a plus as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM training sunscreen these days (now that Planet Sun is no more)?? [andrewhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using Endurance Shield with good results. Doesn't run into eyes, long lasting. I believe Jarrod Shoemaker owns the company.
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM training sunscreen these days (now that Planet Sun is no more)?? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved Pacific Sun and was bummed when they went out of business. I've found Zealios to be a really good alternative. The feel is a bit different going on (it's not as sticky - but it does dry much clearer than PS) and it feels "slick" when you're wet. But this stuff stays put. I've done 1 IM with Zealios and had zero sunburns with only an application the night prior (after my shower) and the morning before the race. I've also had two Kona spectator vacations, where I slapped on Zealios before I left the house and was fine for a week to 10 days of wearing tank tops and being in and out of the ocean all day with zero reapplications.

It's spendy, but it's also easy enough to find some discount codes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 Zealios

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM training sunscreen these days (now that Planet Sun is no more)?? [N2176T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing but blue lizard for me. Love it. Never been burned using it.
Quote Reply