Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Nutrition Guidance
Quote | Reply
I will begin my 2020 racing schedule with the Rock and Roll Nashville half marathon. During the last two years, I have completed seven sprint triathlons...so obviously not much need for nutrition during the event. My questions is...as I begin to train for the half-marathon, at what point do I need to consider nutrition with the run and then what advice do you have for nutrition during the race itself? Thanks for any and all advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Nutrition Guidance [EHouse20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally when doing long runs I dont think about eating until 1:30 into the run. If I am going 1:45-2:00 for a long run I'll eat something by 1:20-1:30 or so, usually a single gel. Best I've had is a trail with BlackBerry bushes along it and I'd snack on a few at some point.

As far as the race goes, I dont eat during a half marathon but I am also doing the race under that 1:30 time. So for me its usually just water around 1 hour in, maybe morning hot out. If I did a 1:30-2:00 race I'd probably take one gel at some point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A general rule is that you have between 90 minutes and 2 hours of energy in your glycogen stores... So you can basically make it the entire race on that. Most half marathons offer gel at mile 9 if you need a boost. But if you drink gatoraid or sport drink with calories in it at the aid stations, you should be ok. I don't know too many people who've "bonked" in a half marathon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, I smash a gel with caffeine about 5-10mins before a 13.1 start. Then I only use 2 during the run. First at 30min, second at 60min for a projected finish time of 1:30. I use spring energy gels right now, as they go down super easy and never cause me stomach distress. Have my next 13.1 in 5 days, so we'll see how it goes.

Btw, I am only about 45mins from Nashville. I would totally be interested in doing that marathon, but I have the IMCHOO70.3 not long after that, and it is my "A" race for that time period, so don't want to mess it up.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply