Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chronic Knee Pain
Quote | Reply
I'm an early 30s man without any previous history of knee trauma. I've been struggling with pain at the lateral side of my left knee for about two years. It doesn't hurt during sedentary activities or while walking, but it becomes progressively more painful during running, hiking, and cycling after about 30 minutes of activity. What's more, if I extend and contract my leg from 0 degrees through 90 degrees, I can feel a very localized clicking or popping at a very particular area on the lateral side of my left knee. The pain that manifests is both at this localized area, and also underneath the knee cap.
I've been to multiple PTs and had it diagnosed as illiotibial band syndrome. The response had always been foam rolling and hip strengthening. I've also been to a physician for a full eval, including x-rays and MRIs, to rule out torn ligaments, etc.
I've tried everything from stretching, hip abduction exercises, squats, deadlifts, the "strengthrunning" rehab routine, trigger point massage, to resting for 6+ weeks at a time. Nothing seems to make the clicking sensation in my knee go away, and the pain is always back at about 30 minutes whenever I try to get back into activity.
Does anyone have any experience with this kind of chronic knee pain? This is a real quality of life impacting condition at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Knee Pain [hobscrk777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dealt with IT band issues yrs ago. Took about year till I could run more than 5 miles. My weak hips are a problem till this day.

Maybe try another physical therapist?

Maybe someone on here can recommend someone.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Nov 2, 19 16:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been experiencing it all my life since a teenager. I had meniscus surgery at 14.
I'm also diagnosed as hyperlaxe (loose joints).
Lots of hard cycling training helps me to maintain joint stability. I also have a roller routine once my knee starts to hurt.
My kinesio added some other points where to focus on when auto massaging, with a ball on the tensor fascia lata, and tibialis anterior mainly.
Also I had exercices to reinforce the medius gluteus and stabilisers

I could never run endurance until last year. I read some books on running, mainly one from an ostheopath wich focuses on body position, technique and balance. I did the book's "10 week beginner's program" and for the first time ran a 10 km without any problems after 12 weeks. I even did a 15 km the week after.

This year I started too abruptly entering a "real" runner's club training run intervals ( these guys are flying !!), and ended up with a deep IT problem (kneee pain). Back to rest, massage, and strenghtening for a few weeks...

Louis :-)
Last edited by: louisn: Nov 2, 19 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar age and similar issues at the beginning of the year. It’s weak glutes, I’ll say it again, weak glutes.

-Lateral squat walks with a resistance band.
-Single leg reverse lunge with a knee raise
-Clamshell exercise

Among other strength exercises. You will be fixed up in no time.
Quote Reply