Re: Does anyone really believe.. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tea by the gallon, does that count?

Drank some coke in Kona, after Hawi.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really believe.. [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
To say it is simply ‘sugar and caffeine’ is misleading. A coke or Pepsi etc is sugar and caffeine.

Red Bull (as much as I like it) is just plain bad for you. I don’t think we need an expert to tell us that.

Never had one

Why is it bad?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really believe.. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also I can't afford to decrease cerebral blood flow velocity in any way shape or form. I'm dam slow enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
To say it is simply ‘sugar and caffeine’ is misleading. A coke or Pepsi etc is sugar and caffeine.

How is that misleading?

https://www.redbull.com/...nk/red-bull-calories

If we reference this, there is:
1. Water
2. Sugar
3. Vitamin B6
4. Niacin
5. Caffeine
6. Sodium

What here is "bad"?

Pmswanepoel wrote:

Red Bull (as much as I like it) is just plain bad for you. I don’t think we need an expert to tell us that.

But how is it bad for you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Confused Fitness Addict -- Biker first, Nutrition second, everything else third.
Last edited by: idle: Nov 1, 19 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're the dumbest guy on Slowtwitch. I can't explain why, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

*facepalm*

On a serious note:

Why do people like you never understand that intake of caffeine/sugar etc is dose dependent? You want something bad for you, try rat poison. This misconception that energy drinks are bad for you isn't based on facts. But let us assume you are right. Eating the same food wise would amount to a cup of coffee and a cinnamon bun, is that dangerous in your opinion too?

"Yeah, I get that, but still, Red Bull has to be bad for you"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Red Bull (as much as I like it) is just plain bad for you. I don’t think we need an expert to tell us that. //

I think that you and a few others here are confusing an important issue, diet vs race day nutrition. Coke, Pepsi, Red Bull, or Mountain Dew, are all basically the same. And all of them are unhealthy for diet, but they are great race day foods. Cannot tell you how many times that most people(including myself) have been saved by a soft drink during a race. And the high you get is not the same as when you are sitting in front of the TV, and neither is the low. It is just putting fuel into a hot burning engine that is revved to the max, and the low is just basically running out of that fuel. The blood sugar drop you get while sedentary is just different. And hopefully not too many of you are actually drinking these things in your diet, it really is a race and long training day fuel. It is a category, and to single out one over the others is just silly. They can have different caffeine levels, some like Red Bull actually put in some vitamins, but they are basically the same, and work the same. The only real difference for folks is taste, if you like it that is great, if you loathe it, then you will just not use it.

You don't have to wait for a licensed nutritionist to come on here to tell you that these drinks are crap for you, pretty sure we all know that. But doesnt mean they are good for race day performance, and no surprise they work, as they contain two things that pick you up when you need it, and they seem to pass through the guy very quickly. That is why we don't eat carrots and broccoli during races, different needs..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always have a case of Red Bull in my fridge. I use it before and during training and races -- all year long.

Rarely do I use it after training. If I go to a party late at night, instead of alcoholic beverages I'll drink a red bull or two to keep me awake and socializing.

So, yeah, it's not hard to believe LCB drinks Red Bulls all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really believe.. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think that you and a few others here are confusing an important issue, diet vs race day nutrition. Coke, Pepsi, Red Bull, or Mountain Dew, are all basically the same. And all of them are unhealthy for diet, but they are great race day foods. Cannot tell you how many times that most people(including myself) have been saved by a soft drink during a race.

AS88 wrote:

Why do people like you never understand that intake of caffeine/sugar etc is dose dependent? You want something bad for you, try rat poison.

I completely agree with these. Well said, folks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Confused Fitness Addict -- Biker first, Nutrition second, everything else third.
Last edited by: idle: Nov 1, 19 10:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:

It’s not just ‘plain bad’. In moderation, nearly everything is ok.

What do you think would be the effect of giving someone nutritionally starving a can of Coke? It would be an overall benefit for their body as they are in desperate need for calories.

Triathletes are often in desperate need of calories. Sugar is a big go-to for that. If you’re against Coke, honey or maple syrup would be a close substitute. As with everything, moderation is key.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really believe.. [idle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think that you and a few others here are confusing an important issue, diet vs race day nutrition. Coke, Pepsi, Red Bull, or Mountain Dew, are all basically the same. And all of them are unhealthy for diet, but they are great race day foods. Cannot tell you how many times that most people(including myself) have been saved by a soft drink during a race.

Yeah this - it is a life/race saver.

Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really believe.. [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I always have a case of Red Bull in my fridge. I use it before and during training and races -- all year long.

Rarely do I use it after training. If I go to a party late at night, instead of alcoholic beverages I'll drink a red bull or two to keep me awake and socializing.

So, yeah, it's not hard to believe LCB drinks Red Bulls all the time.

I’m pretty sure Blummenfelt was caught drinking them on that YouTube video post that Gustav Iden had pre race.

I bet he drinks them all the time. I believe in Red Bull. I like the product for use in specific ways.

Last edited by: plant_based: Nov 1, 19 13:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking this the other day.
IMO This kind of advertising for athletes should be banned. Like the JOhn Player Special ( cigarette products) sponsors were banned from F1 racing, and all things sports related.

LOuis :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
idle wrote:
I believe this was a click bait title.

How so?

Really? The title says nothing about the subject and instead tries to get clicks by being open ended so that people who otherwise would not click, will. I generally skip articles about this topic, but I clicked to say the title is clickbait.

Also, "I don't know anything but neither do you. Here's my stance and it could be right, maybe" does not really allow for much discussion. You have a gut feeling that you can't explain. The best responses here are about use-cases and doses. You can't blanket the health effect of something like RedBull because it depends heavily on those two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some studies by doctors/scientists in Europe about 10/15 years ago found that after drinking Red Bull specifically the heart would act like a sick heart for a little while and they were concerned about the risks associated with concurrent absorption of Red Bull just before, during or just after exercise.

There was briefly talk about whether countries should legislative against Red Bull but obviously this went nowhere. Have no idea of the reasons behind this (findings not confirmed later or killed by Red Bull or lobbies?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really believe.. [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Some studies by doctors/scientists in Europe about 10/15 years ago found that after drinking Red Bull specifically the heart would act like a sick heart for a little while and they were concerned about the risks associated with concurrent absorption of Red Bull just before, during or just after exercise.

There was briefly talk about whether countries should legislative against Red Bull but obviously this went nowhere. Have no idea of the reasons behind this (findings not confirmed later or killed by Red Bull or lobbies?

What?

Links is please

Isn’t it basically like coffee with sugar
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really believe.. [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I personally do not like the taste of Redbull at all, and will not drink it any time. But I know others like it.

Me neither. Not really popular with any of my friends, either.

I manned an aid station on the run portion of 70.3 tremblant last year and was in charge of filling coke/water/red bull at the last chance area of the station and as far as I can recall, we couldn't pawn off a single redbull. I'm not sure it's super popular to most racers.

I tried red bull at an ironman once and it didn't go down well. Coke, on the other hand, does. Not clear on why, but there you have it.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really believe.. [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
I tried red bull at an ironman once and it didn't go down well. Coke, on the other hand, does. Not clear on why, but there you have it.

In the run aid stations I have everything. Coke redbull gatorade water ice and sometimes bananas / oranges. Pretzels occasionally.

The redbull tastes 9/10 for me during a race. Coke tastes 10/10 esp if there are tiny pieces of ice in it too to crunch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like many things this is personal. I know Red Bull is a great sponsor, but I am glad I don't have the dilemma to say no to them.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really believe.. [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Like many things this is personal. I know Red Bull is a great sponsor, but I am glad I don't have the dilemma to say no to them.

I’m certainly not suggesting that, my local tri club runs a kids duathlon every year. Sponsors are always appreciated.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you were not suggesting that. I am speaking from a personal perspective. If I were good enough to attract such a sponsor, I would have to say no. I could not be sponsored by someone I don't believe in.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really believe.. [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Diabolo wrote:

What?

Links is please

Isn’t it basically like coffee with sugar

Not quite just coffee with sugar. The combination of caffeine, highly concentrated sugar and other ingredients like taurine can be dangerous.

Here is a more recent study and article, so people are still trying to warn against consumption:
https://nypost.com/...roblems-study-warns/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:

Seriously wonder why it’s worse than coke?

Pls explain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the taste, but my stomach can't handle it. I tried drinking one before a criterium once and had the worst stomach cramps of my life after the race and was on the shitter the rest of the night. I did have a great race though, so maybe it was worth the pain?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really believe.. [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in my early 20’s I was sponsored by Redbull and drank the shit out of it. Too much... I would get multiple cases of 48 cans and have them in car driving around all day . Pop one here, pop one there. Oh and then mix with with vodka at night, good times the ladies loved it!

This was back when they were illegal in Canada and I would smuggle in cases in my luggage and use to pay off bouncers at all the bars in whistler to get vip access.

Was drinking 5-7 a day for a while there and noticed very specific throbbing pain in my mid lower left torso. What organ is there ? Liver? Spleen? I knew it was a problem , but maybe conflated with the vodka?

But you know when you drink one and get tired you’ve had too much, lol. Don’t touch them now
Quote Reply

Prev Next