Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Beam bike versus traditional bike design... what’s the benefit of beam? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Both bikes are on the short list of bikes I'd ride although the P56 is from what I've heard a PIA to travel with.

It gets much easier with mechanical brakes and traditional bars. TRP rear, tririg front with the magura cover glued to the tririg cover, and any bar of your choosing. That's made it just as easy to travel with as my old CD0.1
Quote Reply
Re: Beam bike versus traditional bike design... what’s the benefit of beam? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek actually did if you look in the SC Whitepaper they compared them.

Quote Reply
Re: Beam bike versus traditional bike design... what’s the benefit of beam? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't read most of the replies, so I may be repeating information. This is just my perspective.

I raced tri and USCF road races on Softride bikes, customs made by Paul Barkley (the original builder for the Softride brand) in steel and a TiCycles made by Dave Levy our of titanium (duh). LOVED them. Were they "faster"? Not in a pure speed sense -- didn't help my sprinting in any way (basically I never had much of a sprint, though doing some track racing helped). They never held me back on climbs (a couple USCF district hillclimb titles to back that up). But they were faster. Not in the first hour, but when hour two got into the wee space it made a huge difference being isolated from road buzz. I had my TiCycles frame built with a low stack to allow for better tri positioning, and placed the beam more forward than production frames to increase the lever arm and get more supple travel.

I'm currently using the Kinekt seatpost, designed by some of the original Softride folks. Really liking it. Does much of the same thing as the Softride beam, but with a smaller travel limit. Very active unit, worth a try.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next