Re: 2019 IM AZ Roll Call [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Well, I got some moves I could make here. Probably be a big help to you.”
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 IM AZ Roll Call [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
test wrote:
Any tips for parking on race morning?
The guide mentions one parking garage thats free on race day. Are there any other options available that might be easy to get in and out of with all the construction going on?

Parked here last year. Avoid most of the race course/traffic

https://www.google.com/...268823!4d-111.942683
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 IM AZ Roll Call [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
“Well, I got some moves I could make here. Probably be a big help to you.”

ONE OF THE GREATEST MOVIES!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During the athlete meeting, someone questioned. The guy said the water was tested and is fine. They also held the practice swim today. Swim is on.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 IM AZ Roll Call [Pro_Sandbagger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this, watching broadcast now.

Swim times a touch slow, or so say commentators, course long? The cold?

Watching Lauren Brandon swim and bike is very very enjoyable.

Watching Sarah Crowley swim...eek.

Meredith Kessler riding a trek.

I know it's on tape delay I haven't looked at live standings, on broadcast theyre 20 mins into the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 IM AZ Roll Call [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw Meredith riding the trek, but nothing on her socials about ending it with Ventum. Guessing she may have purchased the Trek SC?

So...drafting. On a three lap course, it's gonna happen. Not really sure how you can police it up, although I saw very few folks coasting, but definitely some. Was out on the beeline snappy photos and cheering on my team.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 IM AZ Roll Call [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some feedback on today’s race:

— I thought the swim was marked well and measured properly. The darkness at the start and the cold water may have slowed some people.

— T1: there was a 0.4 mile run to T1. That kinda sucked

— Bike wasn’t as cold as I feared, as the staring temp was low 50s. The regular prevailing winds were in effect. Seemed a little more windy than last couple years, but that cuts two ways on an out and back.

First lap for FOP is spaced out. The problem is the second lap. Huge congestion. Definitely a lot of drafting, but really from the MOP/BOP crowd, so it doesn’t matter. I saw one guy in the penalty tent. Seemed like there was a decent number of flats.

— run was conducive to good times. I think the temp maxed out around 70. Sun was pretty strong, but this was more mild than typical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent about 10 hours spectating today. Totally exhausted...and signing up for 2020 on Wednesday!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw post on FB about triclub priority registration, is that what you're referring to? I want to register for 2020 and know it sells out quickly. I haven't seen anything on a date for general registration
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 IM AZ Roll Call [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race in Cozumel. This town really likes and appreciates the event. Race day was full of local spectators cheering on all the athletes.

The swim was very difficult for me 1:15. I think letting the jet skis from locals and tourists race back and forth caused a lot of chop starting about 1/2 was in. Other than that is was great; salty but great.

Bike course was really well staffed with everything you could want. Hand up bottles of water and Gatorade, snacks, mechanics at every station, a ton of race officials on course. When they pro's came by I thought they were all very close to each other but maybe it was just my perspective view. I did not see any drafting in the age groups. Everyone seemed to be on their best behavior. Each loop coming back through the town was so nice with all the cheering from the locals.

T1 and T2 were great and well organized. They did a really nice job with our kit bags at both transitions with a numbered hanging system so it was super easy to find your bag.

Rub was great with the bars and streets filled with cheering locals and family/freinds. Really exciting with so many to cheer you on the three loop curse. There were a lot of walkers (I did my share as walking as well). 14:02 finish for this old man :-)

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there and did not have a particularly great day.

The swim was a tad long and choppy in places. For some reason I got cold mid way and just could not hack it. Was planning on 1:10 but ended up swimming 17 minutes longer. Saw a lot of folks struggle in the water. The 0.4 mile run back to T1 added insult to injury and I end up needing 20 mins by the heater and 2 cups of chicken broth to stop shivering. Protip for next year - don't take your wetsuit coming out of the water, run in it all the way to T1.

As always, a bad swim wrecks the rest of the race. Had no power in my legs for the 1st lap. Chicken broth did not sit well with my stomach and I could not take any nutrition for the 1st lap. The wind was not bad, and everyone probably hit all kinds of Strava PR coming back from the 1st lap. The wind kind of shifted throughout the day and laps 2 and 3 were a lot easier going up Beeline, but the downhill was a tad slower.

The run was uneventful. The sun was pretty mild, some spots were crowded. I jogged the whole thing, walked the aid stations between mile 19 and mile 24, and sampled everything they had. Red Bull is still gross, but the pretzels hit the spot! The burritos at the finish line food tent were quite yummy too!

A buddy of mine was really struggling and tried walking the entire course, but had to be pulled at mile 19 because he could not hold anything down, even water. I tried pacing him and get him to run but it was not to be. Bummed for him.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Saw Meredith riding the trek, but nothing on her socials about ending it with Ventum. Guessing she may have purchased the Trek SC?

So...drafting. On a three lap course, it's gonna happen. Not really sure how you can police it up, although I saw very few folks coasting, but definitely some. Was out on the beeline snappy photos and cheering on my team.

I did not see too much of what I'd consider intentional drafting. The only one that stood out to me was a F25-29 who was riding around me for a while that would latch on to passing athletes as long as she could, pass me, then I'd pass once she gave up. She blew hard.

Swim was difficult but I did not think it was long. I have maybe swum 50000 yards in the 4mo of training and I swam pretty easy to do a 1:00:xx. Could not have done that if it was long. It WAS crowded and choppy. And cold. Like another poster mentioned I never warmed up.

Run was great, conditions wise. I paced it poorly and was overly ambitious for my first half but held it together ok.

Really pleased to have finally finished an IM after a few DNFs. AZ really is a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 IM AZ Roll Call [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it was cold. Although 64F from Tempe's temperature gauge seems warmer than it was last year? I think it was 60F last year. Still cold, but definitely a lot of folks seemed frozen coming onto the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were you swimming? Objectively, it was cold water. I've raced at quite a lot of venues and the water was cold. At IM effort, you are not (should not be, anyway) exerting yourself beyond just an "endurance" effort so your body is not working very hard.

It is not mutually exclusive for it to be cold last year and cold this year.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 IM AZ Roll Call [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of the loop here.. can someone explain why AZ only had a pro category for women, but not men? I thought there was another race (FL?) where they had pro men, but no pro women. What is Ironman's strategy or thinking for doing this?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 IM AZ Roll Call [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phoenixR34 wrote:
Out of the loop here.. can someone explain why AZ only had a pro category for women, but not men? I thought there was another race (FL?) where they had pro men, but no pro women. What is Ironman's strategy or thinking for doing this?

They have been doing that for a few years. Spreading the pro field by gender to various races. Mainly because there aren't enough pros to fill out each race. There would be races with like five D-list female pros... so what was the point? So they made less pro races in order to concentrate the pros to certain races. While FL and AZ are super popular AG races, they've always been C-list or D-list level races from a pro points perspective. Heck, there are a bunch of AG only races now.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next