Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smart bike shootout!
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bike shootout! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray’s reviews are really great. I’m not even in the market for a smart bike as I already have the Tacx bike but I read every word.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bike shootout! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here - no interest in buying, but I'm interested in where this segment of the market is heading. I use a smart trainer with a spare road bike 'permanently' attached (as in, I don't ride this bike except on the trainer). That allows me to 'hide' this extra bike from spousal disapproval (the bike is totally ride-able, if old - an older Cannondale road bike). If I replaced my current setup with a smart bike, I'd need to hang the old Cannondale in the garage and answer questions about this 'other bike'. And, in terms of flexibility and expense, a smart trainer + spare bike (even if you need to buy a cheap used one) can be less expensive, right now, at least. And you get the advantage of an extra bike, if that's something of value - maybe a town bike, gravel bike. If you're just getting into tri, maybe you 1st/not expensive TT bike... But, from a convenience POV, I get it. Set it and forget it. Built in storage, a way to attach the screen, Move the whole thing around. If you're not already training on a bike, these smart bikes make sense. I do wonder two things - how many will buy, thinking that this is a Peloton substitute and not realize the lack of 'programming' and who will be the first to offer a Peloton-like ecosystem for these bikes (i.e. similar programming, but usable on any smart bike).
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bike shootout! [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And these bikes are silent.... and even tho I use the Neo, the peloton is SO quiet in comparison

And maybe no messing w cables, chain, grease, pumping up tires, etc. all occasional tasks, but I believe go away completely

Is it worth the $$$? Not for me, but for non “cyclists” I betcha it’s appealing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm clearly not the target market since I don't get this.

Why would I drop $3k on one of these when I could throw $1k on a top notch trainer and get a $2k bike for the same price and then also be able to ride it outside?

I don't understand. Maybe if the price was closer to the price of a standalone trainer, but it'd have to be less than the cost of trainer + bike I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bike shootout! [cujo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't read DC's review, but I'm guessing a couple advantages:

1. Easy to adjust and try different positions for fitting, etc.

2. Because of #1, easy to share bike with multiple people.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bike shootout! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah right. I imagine #2 is the key there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I have to admit I don't quite get this category, (I'd rather upgrade to a better trainer, get a dedicated gaming computer and nicer screen if I'm going to spend $$), I can see the appeal for those that want the most in convenience and don't mind spending ~$3K to get it. But for the serious cyclist, the wide frame members makes some of these bikes pretty much a nonstarter. Can't imagine riding with the wide top tube of the Wahoo bike, but I do think its integrated climbing feature does point the way towards where this segment could go. Put in climbing, rocking/leaning motion but perhaps with some sort of electronic enhancement, steering that's tied to proprietary game features, and you'd have a much more compelling offering.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bike shootout! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple other advantages would be less maintenance (no, chain, cassette, cogs, wires) and they are quieter. Depending on the model there are some other neat little features as well.

I’ve got a new baby at home and as such more of my riding is shifting indoors. Some while she is sleeping in a bassinet in the trainer room. I am really intrigued by these - particularly the Wahoo Bike given the extra features it has. That said I don’t think I’ll be jumping on one quite yet. I’m definitely not an early adopter type of person (got burned the one time I was) as I like to hear from other people who have purchased before as well as see kinks worked through.

But if the Wahoo Bike was at the Watt bike price is probably have my mouse hovering over the purchase button. Ray talked about one of the reasons for the high cost is that shipping (and return shipping if something needs to be fixed/warrantied) has to be built in. They are large and heave so I imagine each time something is shipped it costs a few hundred dollars

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wouldn’t. You probably aren’t the (primary) target audience. The target is more people that don’t even want to cycle outside. My wife is begging me for one of these but she has very little interest in outdoor riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bike shootout! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
You wouldn’t. You probably aren’t the (primary) target audience. The target is more people that don’t even want to cycle outside. My wife is begging me for one of these but she has very little interest in outdoor riding.

Or people who are tired of taking their bike on and off the trainer

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that’s a very small population who would spend that kind of money to avoid that minimal hassle. But, I’m sure there’s a few like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, considering that it's less expensive to get a smart trainer and an inexpensive bike to go on it full time, I'd say that "taking the bike on and off" isn't really a big deal. My TT bike lives on the trainer all winter. In the summer last year it came off and the road bike went on. and I have a spare bike that just needs a couple of parts to become a full time trainer bike.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bike shootout! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These look cool, but pricey obviously. For me, the benefit does not seem to outweigh my current setup of road bike and Hammer. I went with the hammer because a wheel on trainer was a pain with a powertap wheel (needing to swap tires to ride indoors because in my experience road tires spray a lot of residue). taking the bike off and getting the wheel on takes a min at most.

I'm sure my wife would like one of these with the fit adjustability, but smart bikes appear to be totally impractical for more than one user at this point, especially for people like my wife who go to spin classes because there's no messing around with apps and settings (although you do have to adjust spin bikes every time I guess)

But still curious how this market evolves, it's never a bad thing to give folks a better indoor experience if it gets people more active.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Or people who are tired of taking their bike on and off the trainer

+1, my wife and I are too practical to have two trainers so we switch out. She also is too practical to allow us more than 2 bikes each in the house (can store commuter outside) so a smart bike does make sense for us but I will wait until more features like those mentioned by another poster (climbing, rocking, steering) are added

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bike shootout! [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you never train at the same time?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bike shootout! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Do you never train at the same time?

We prefer to heckle each other on indoor rides. Including, but not limited to, drinking wine and eating bacon whilst the other suffers.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why not a peloton or something else indoor specific. I wouldn't think the "road bike experience" would be that important to someone who doesn't want to ride outdoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the price you can buy a bike and never take it off the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, that is what she wants specifically. I know there are differences but I put them in the same general category.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the integration and the all in one system. I don't think I'd want to buy another Kickr. I have a Gen 2 Kickr and can't use the Climb. I'd rather save up for an Kickr bike. I understand I'm in the minority though.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's also the reduced maintenance and ability to adjust position easily. I use both ny TT and road bike on my trainer. I'd love to be able to easily swap between the two while still having a dedicated trainer bike.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bike shootout! [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you should mention fit. I said to my wife, why would I want to buy a bike when I have two (road and tt) that fit me perfectly after a professional fit??? But I also spin somewhat regularly at the gym so I understand what you are saying.
Quote Reply