Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Smart Trainer Advice - Best Feel...features not a must...budget not restricted
Quote | Reply
I've been using the old Lemond direct drive trainer for years and I love it to this day in terms of the closest feel I've had and I bought and then sold the Tacx Neo a few years back after being disappointed with how it felt vs the Lemond.

I want to get with the times and start using Zwift and am looking for what is the closest thing I can find to the Lemond feel but that is in the 21st century of new trainers. And my wife is fed up with the noise of the Lemond !

I don't really have a budget restriction and am more focused on the one that simply rides the smoothest and closest to road feel. I don't need all the bells and whistles feature wise other than giving power and being compatible to the various software apps I may want to try in the future.

Any recommendations welcome. There seems to be so many options now.
Quote Reply
Re: New Smart Trainer Advice - Best Feel...features not a must...budget not restricted [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much any wheel off trainer on Saris' new MP-1.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: New Smart Trainer Advice - Best Feel...features not a must...budget not restricted [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Can you comment if its feel or why you think its a good option?

I said noise reduction is a factor but reality is most of them now aren't noisey and the lemond I love is is like a full on wind turbine which is why I mentioned that.......my first priority is one that feels as close to the Lemond free flowing that can simulate riding on a flat road the best. I appreciate when you want to simulate incline it will invariably not feel quite the same with how they need to make that resistance work.

The tacx neo I did not like just felt like it was not smooth for lack of better description. I found some old school cheap trainers felt better than it in regards to that.
Quote Reply
Re: New Smart Trainer Advice - Best Feel...features not a must...budget not restricted [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New Smart Trainer Advice - Best Feel...features not a must...budget not restricted [gaukler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. this is a great summary.

If I'm reading this right it does sound like the Saris is going to be the closest to a smooth road feel ride if I'm not too concerned with the quietest or has every bell and whistle.

I'll do some homework on that, but its looks to be the one for what I want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

DC Rainmaker says great things about it also. I've never seen one in the wild, but if money was no object Ray has never steered me wrong.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: New Smart Trainer Advice - Best Feel...features not a must...budget not restricted [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The legs on this thing looks like at the max sway point, it lifts off the ground--seems the legs should stay on the ground if it was heavy/stable enough. I'd be concerned of the legs coming off the ground like that. Then again, my entire Performance Mag Trainer for $99 does come off the ground like that too--I just don't get up and sprint very hard or I'd end up on my side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't go wrong with a Kickr, and it's the only one that works with the new E-flex platform.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...essory-hands-on.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey—
I had been on a Lemond for about 7 years. In September I got an H3 Hammer (saris). I did so because of the heavier flywheel and hoped it would feel close to the lemond...which in turn feels close to the road...
I am happy with the hammer in comparison to the lemond. It’s pretty close. I haven’t ridden a kickr or an elite. So I can’t say whether it is better or worse. But it is a lot quieter than the Lemond (my wife can actually talk with me now when I’m riding), and it has good “road feel.”
It also just works without glitches...feels robust and gives consistent power numbers compared to my assioma duos.
Quote Reply
Re: New Smart Trainer Advice - Best Feel...features not a must...budget not restricted [Hesiod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. This is exactly the comparison I was looking for. Sounds close enough to the Lemond. I'll give the Saris a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Lemond Revolution. I still own two... although I don't know why. They have no thru-axle support.

Anyhow, short and sharp from me: The Kickr18 with the larger flywheel has to be the closest to the Lemond I've come across.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you already nixed the Neo, then get a KICKR 2018. The Neo and KICKR are the two gold standards that define the top end. The others generally end up starting in 3rd for most reviews. I had a KICKR 16 and now have a Neo 2. There is really nothing to dislike about the KICKR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing is as good at real world feel as a wind trainer. I think if you tried and hated the Neo that much then you won't find any current product that meets your goals. The Neo is about as good as it gets.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: New Smart Trainer Advice - Best Feel...features not a must...budget not restricted [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Nothing is as good at real world feel as a wind trainer. I think if you tried and hated the Neo that much then you won't find any current product that meets your goals. The Neo is about as good as it gets.
He could try a very large inclinable treadmill installed on a turntable, in a wind tunnel, combined with his normal bike equipped with a power meter. Automated baffles and turbulators to simulate wind gradients, turbulence and gusting effects. Then it's down to the quality of the treadmill surface to maintain the standards we're striving for.
Quote Reply
Re: New Smart Trainer Advice - Best Feel...features not a must...budget not restricted [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey gplama,
I like your reviews. Good job. Would you put the 2018 kickr over the h3 the. For road feel only. Not any other bells and whistles?

Also...your review of the kickr bike is great. Makes me almost want one. Just for the electronic shifting under load. Would be a bonus on zwift. But I think the top tube is too wide. And savage my knees on it...
Quote Reply
Re: New Smart Trainer Advice - Best Feel...features not a must...budget not restricted [Hesiod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hesiod wrote:
Hey gplama,
I like your reviews. Good job. Would you put the 2018 kickr over the h3 the. For road feel only. Not any other bells and whistles?

Cheers! For me, the Kickr is my go-to for 'just riding along' or hard race-like efforts indoors. This isn't to say the others are bad, most of them are fine.

There's an untapped rabbit hole I haven't gone down which is how different trainers respond to the same effort/acceleration in the same gearing. They're all slightly different, or very different.... A 50kg rider accelerating on a Kickr would have a different experience to a 90kg workhorse doing the same effort. I suspect this is why some people prefer one trainer over the other for 'feel' (something that's not quantified on the spec sheet). This only relates to trainers with weighted flywheels as the Neo range and most of the new Smart Bikes take into account user weight and adjust their settings based on that. Hmm... Always try before you buy I guess.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply