Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dirty Kanza or Breck Epic...
Quote | Reply
Which would you choose and why? Friends trying to coerce me in to Breck Epic 2020 but trying to get in to DK 2020 seems more appealing. I live in CO so training/climbing is not an issue.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Last edited by: boilerup: Oct 30, 19 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza or Breck Epic... [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Dirty Kanza 200 back when it was somewhat smaller. Loved it. Nowadays, the field is HUGE. And the thought of compressing the population of a small town into a two-track gravel road is less than appealing to me. (Part of avoiding flats at DK is being able to pick your line. When you're in an elbow-to-elbow, wheel-to-wheel pack of riders, you don't get to choose your line.)

You've got to do DK once, I suppose. But since I did mine, I've sought out smaller gravel races with excellent organizations. They aren't "bucket list" destinations, but I find them more fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would choose DK. Largely because the elevation in Breckenridge does not suit me. I think DK is also more of a bucket list item so i would apply and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza or Breck Epic... [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does the field not thin out after awhile?
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza or Breck Epic... [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back then, it took about 20 miles for the pack to thin out. But that was about half as many racers. I don’t know how well it works today.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza or Breck Epic... [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe you need to be slower /pink

I’m going to try and get in to do DK this year just to do it. If not, lots of big gravel rides available
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did DK200 for the first time this year. FYI there I recorded over 9K of climbing and that is a combination of a whole lot of tough short climbs. Not sure what it was like up front as I seeded myself in the back at the start and pretty much stayed there. I understood they change the course every year and this year the first hour was nice gravel road so it was crowded to start but once we hit the double and single track it spread out real quick and by the first checkpoint it was wide open. It got real hot this year and I was part of the carnage that the heat brought so I am looking to upgrade my breakfast club membership in 2020;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced/finished DK twice...I enjoyed it 0 times. Between both years, there were probably about 20 minutes or so where I felt like I was having fun. I know that some people really like it. I love racing gravel, but for whatever reason I didn't catch the DK bug. The course is beautiful, so I'd definitely encourage you to venture out into the flint hills of Kansas to ride.... i just think the DK buzz led to higher expectations for me than what was delivered.

To me, the energy level at Landrun 100 is much higher. The course isn't as beautiful as DK, but I love the event itself.

I haven't done Breck and I don't do well at elevation, but I would choose Breck over DK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steamboat Gravel Race seems fun... Was thinking of signing up next year.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DK because it's my home town and a trip home. But I had friends do Breck Epic and they said it was great.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breck Epic because its in Breck, not Kansas.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza or Breck Epic... [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
I raced/finished DK twice...I enjoyed it 0 times. Between both years, there were probably about 20 minutes or so where I felt like I was having fun. I know that some people really like it. I love racing gravel, but for whatever reason I didn't catch the DK bug. The course is beautiful, so I'd definitely encourage you to venture out into the flint hills of Kansas to ride.... i just think the DK buzz led to higher expectations for me than what was delivered.

To me, the energy level at Landrun 100 is much higher. The course isn't as beautiful as DK, but I love the event itself.

I haven't done Breck and I don't do well at elevation, but I would choose Breck over DK.

I’m glad there are gravel bike races popping up all over the place so when one doesn’t suit you there are a ton of others to choose from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:

Well, that's not very encouraging! Seems like an "epic" but incredibly long and hard day.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza or Breck Epic... [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
Steamboat Gravel Race seems fun... Was thinking of signing up next year.

Yes, this too! Wanted to do it in 2019 but couldn't coerce friends to sign up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done one mountain bike stage race (Pisgah) and it was a blast.
Riding in Breck is also a blast.

Combining the two? An Epic Blast.

DK Does not appeal to me, personally.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza or Breck Epic... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having done gravel worlds (150 miles), I currently have a really hard time staying motivated after 100 miles, might be something to consider if rides start to become a real slog for you as you get up to the century mark. I can't imagine wanting to do 200 miles at this point, so for me DK, just sounds like it would be more tough than fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a new gravel race in 2020 in Bentonville, Arkansas, put on by the same folks that (now) run the DK and the Leadville series, Lifetime Fitness. Two distances, 50 & 107 miles. Supposedly the field will be limited to 750.

https://www.bigsugargravel.com/

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza or Breck Epic... [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
There's a new gravel race in 2020 in Bentonville, Arkansas, put on by the same folks that (now) run the DK and the Leadville series, Lifetime Fitness. Two distances, 50 & 107 miles. Supposedly the field will be limited to 750.

Saw this, agree it sounds great. Had a buddy who went to Outerbike this year in Bentonville, we may consider trying to get in!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
gary p wrote:

Saw this, agree it sounds great. Had a buddy who went to Outerbike this year in Bentonville, we may consider trying to get in!

A friend of mine puts on a gravel race in Bentonville every October. Hopefully his race doesn't get squeezed out by Lifetime fitness.

Northwest Arkansas is an amazing place to ride a bike. The mountain bike trails and gravel roads are some of the best I've ever ridden. Even the paved roads are great.

If you choose DK or something around Bentonville, make sure you choose a robust tire. The rocks are very very sharp. I've had great luck with the Panaracer (sponsor) Gravel King SK+ in both of those areas of the country. In most races I would prefer the regular SK, but the SK+ is great in Bentonville and Emporia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breck Epic here, just throwing in .02 -

Both events are fantastic, albeit very different from one another.

Neither race is going anywhere. Get yourself one of those two year Trapper Keepers, jot yourself a note right on the front in big semi-accusatory goal-statement bubble letters, and make a long term plan to do both!

Helpfully unhelpful (or possibly unhelpfully helpful) -
MikeMac

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
boilerup wrote:
gary p wrote:

A friend of mine puts on a gravel race in Bentonville every October. Hopefully his race doesn't get squeezed out by Lifetime fitness.

Northwest Arkansas is an amazing place to ride a bike. The mountain bike trails and gravel roads are some of the best I've ever ridden. Even the paved roads are great.

If you choose DK or something around Bentonville, make sure you choose a robust tire. The rocks are very very sharp. I've had great luck with the Panaracer (sponsor) Gravel King SK+ in both of those areas of the country. In most races I would prefer the regular SK, but the SK+ is great in Bentonville and Emporia.

Good to know, thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza or Breck Epic... [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
Breck Epic because its in Breck, not Kansas.

This
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breck, why suffer for 1 day when you can suffer for 6 in the Rockies, that’s where I am headed in 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza or Breck Epic... [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Word
Quote Reply