Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Free testing of the Aero - Cda & Crr estimate app! Feedback is appreciated :)
Quote | Reply
Hi, Slowtwitchers!

I just wanted to inform that there is free testing of the Aero - Cda & Crr estimate app out the year. You can use the promo code "Aero2019" in the Android app at the bottom of the subscription page to active. No need to start a subscription and you will get 5 weather calls each day.

To get this up and running you will need to:
  • Download the Android app
  • Download the Connect IQ app
  • Have a power meter on your bike (preferable a dual sided)
  • You would also need to connect the Garmin device to the Android phone through the Garmin Connect app
The main purpose of this app is being able to calculate the aerodynamic drag (Cda) and the rolling resistance (Crr) on the fly while cycling outside. Thereby the ability to test equipment and see improvements out on the open road.

Check out my blog to read more about the Cda and Crr estimations of the World Tour Riders Time Trials. The estimations you see in the blog are exactly the same estimations you would have seen live outside.

Your comments and feedbacks are highly appreciated! If you have some ideas, problems with the app or feature requests feel free post them below or at the Google Groups forum. Have fun testing :)
Quote Reply
Re: Free testing of the Aero - Cda & Crr estimate app! Feedback is appreciated :) [Sandcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had a Garmin head unit I'd try this out (but I don't).

Best of luck with this.

How/where did you get the DQS power data files?
Last edited by: RChung: Oct 30, 19 10:47
Quote Reply
Re: Free testing of the Aero - Cda & Crr estimate app! Feedback is appreciated :) [Sandcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will this work with wahoo element bolt, iphone and garmin 935?
Quote Reply
Re: Free testing of the Aero - Cda & Crr estimate app! Feedback is appreciated :) [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Free testing of the Aero - Cda & Crr estimate app! Feedback is appreciated :) [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Will this work with wahoo element bolt, iphone and garmin 935?

You are currently out of luck, but if this app seems to work well for the Android users and there is a demand for an iPhone app I will develop the iOS app :) Regrading Wahoo they don't currently have a platform for building apps, but I will make the app if they open up their platform.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would have loved to try this out but outdoor riding season is mostly over here (definitely over for TT bikes) so it will have to wait until spring for me. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sandcake wrote:
The main purpose of this app is being able to calculate the aerodynamic drag (Cda) and the rolling resistance (Crr) on the fly while cycling outside. Thereby the ability to test equipment and see improvements out on the open road.

I wish it was that simple...
Quote Reply
Re: Free testing of the Aero - Cda & Crr estimate app! Feedback is appreciated :) [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I wish it was that simple...

I wish that too! Hopefully, the estimations will give decent numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can it work with previously recorded rides ?
Quote Reply
Re: Free testing of the Aero - Cda & Crr estimate app! Feedback is appreciated :) [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
How/where did you get the DQS power data files?

Four of the DQS had their data on Strava. Used a 3rd-party tool to download it :)
Quote Reply
Re: Free testing of the Aero - Cda & Crr estimate app! Feedback is appreciated :) [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

I have not technically "released it", but yes you can import rides ;) You need to have the files locally on the Android phone (for example in Google Disk) and it only works with .fit files. Then you press the file and click share with and select the Aero app. I have not yet been able to find out how you can share files directly from the Wahoo Elemnt app (I have sendt a mail to the devs, but still no reply). Just be aware that the ride import may take some time, since it's estimating the Cda and the Crr for every second of the ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sandcake wrote:
Just be aware that the ride import may take some time, since it's estimating the Cda and the Crr for every second of the ride!

2 hour ride with some wind, elevation change...all aero poistion..

it's loading,....
Quote Reply
Re: Free testing of the Aero - Cda & Crr estimate app! Feedback is appreciated :) [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why people still think that this will give any kind of reliable data is beyond me.

When you look at all the assumptions and error accumulation then really, whats the point?

Pointless waste of time. Just yet another way to fleece some money from people who should know better!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Free testing of the Aero - Cda & Crr estimate app! Feedback is appreciated :) [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
Why people still think that this will give any kind of reliable data is beyond me.

When you look at all the assumptions and error accumulation then really, whats the point?

Pointless waste of time. Just yet another way to fleece some money from people who should know better!!!

Having analyzed hundreds and hundreds of rides I have a pretty good idea of what will work and what won't. But it's always interesting to see how people do things.

Who knows, maybe a good idea will come out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sandcake wrote:
marcag wrote:

I have not technically "released it", but yes you can import rides ;) You need to have the files locally on the Android phone (for example in Google Disk) and it only works with .fit files. Then you press the file and click share with and select the Aero app. I have not yet been able to find out how you can share files directly from the Wahoo Elemnt app (I have sendt a mail to the devs, but still no reply). Just be aware that the ride import may take some time, since it's estimating the Cda and the Crr for every second of the ride!

So if I understand correctly it relies entirely on local weather station data ? I am not sure how it finds/configures a source for this data. The ride was done in Canada.

Can I export the analysis ? Numbers "are all over the place", without weather station data and a little painful to analyze on a small screen.
Quote Reply
Re: Free testing of the Aero - Cda & Crr estimate app! Feedback is appreciated :) [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:

I used to think like you do now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Sandcake wrote:
Just be aware that the ride import may take some time, since it's estimating the Cda and the Crr for every second of the ride!

2 hour ride with some wind, elevation change...all aero poistion..

it's loading,....

Haha, thats 7200 datapoints, will probably take some time 😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:

Good question. Estimating is quite difficult, especially when some of the datasets are off. Therefore, it's important to try to do the Aero testing in "optimal" conditions, with no wind, high speeds etc. to factor out some of the errors. Also I think the traditional velodrom testing don't replicate the outside conditions that good, since the body position on the bike changes a little bit with the terrain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sandcake wrote:
Mario S wrote:

Good question. Estimating is quite difficult, especially when some of the datasets are off. Therefore, it's important to try to do the Aero testing in "optimal" conditions, with no wind, high speeds etc. to factor out some of the errors. Also I think the traditional velodrom testing don't replicate the outside conditions that good, since the body position on the bike changes a little bit with the terrain.

or to use sensors able to measure wind, accurate elevation changes, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Sandcake wrote:
marcag wrote:

So if I understand correctly it relies entirely on local weather station data ? I am not sure how it finds/configures a source for this data. The ride was done in Canada.

Can I export the analysis ? Numbers "are all over the place", without weather station data and a little painful to analyze on a small screen.

I am not sure where DarkSkys weather stations are located, but yes (it's based on your current location). From reading online DarkSky seemed to have the best accuracy in general around the world. I thought about giving the user the opportunity to choose between multiple weather providers in the app. If you know about any reliable weather providers in Canada, send me a message!

All the activities are stored as a .csv files under the sdcard/Aero folder on the Android phone. You should also have some of the data available on the Garmin Connect website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sandcake wrote:
marcag wrote:
Sandcake wrote:
marcag wrote:

I am not sure where DarkSkys weather stations are located, but yes (it's based on your current location). From reading online DarkSky seemed to have the best accuracy in general around the world. I thought about giving the user the opportunity to choose between multiple weather providers in the app. If you know about any reliable weather providers in Canada, send me a message!

All the activities are stored as a .csv files under the sdcard/Aero folder on the Android phone. You should also have some of the data available on the Garmin Connect website

Can I save the analysis to a CSV after I take a file from google drive, send it to the app, press "calculate CDA and CRR" ?
Will it use historic data data from DarkSky in this case ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Sandcake wrote:
marcag wrote:
Sandcake wrote:
marcag wrote:

Can I save the analysis to a CSV after I take a file from google drive, send it to the app, press "calculate CDA and CRR" ?

Yes, the analysis is automatically saved to a CSV file when the calculation of the CDA and CRR is finished. It will use historic weather data from DarkSky in this case 😄
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sandcake wrote:
marcag wrote:
Sandcake wrote:
marcag wrote:
Sandcake wrote:
marcag wrote:

Yes, the analysis is automatically saved to a CSV file when the calculation of the CDA and CRR is finished. It will use historic weather data from DarkSky in this case 😄

It doesn't create the CSV. It does create a temporary index file, and it does give results in the form of charts.
The values seem a little "all over the place" ie CDAs vary from .19 to .40.

I have pretty accurate wind, elevation and CDA data for the ride which is why I wanted to get it to run to compare. I am curious to see how weather station data will compare.

The Darksky stuff says I get 5 calls per day but it seems to use them all up after one analysis.

Once I go in the analysis of the ride, with the charts, there is no way to get out of that page. The "back arrow" just bails out of the app.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Sandcake wrote:
marcag wrote:
Sandcake wrote:
marcag wrote:
Sandcake wrote:
marcag wrote:

It doesn't create the CSV. It does create a temporary index file, and it does give results in the form of charts.
The values seem a little "all over the place" ie CDAs vary from .19 to .40.

I have pretty accurate wind, elevation and CDA data for the ride which is why I wanted to get it to run to compare. I am curious to see how weather station data will compare.

The Darksky stuff says I get 5 calls per day but it seems to use them all up after one analysis.

Once I go in the analysis of the ride, with the charts, there is no way to get out of that page. The "back arrow" just bails out of the app.

I have programmed it to store the CSV file, but it might be dependent on the Android device. If you open the mobile app and go to the sidemenu and click on activity history, can you see your imported rides there?

Yes, its extremely important to get the wind speed right in the estimations. From my experience the reported weather station wind speeds tends to be a lot more than the wind speed you actually receive out on the road (especially in urban environments). Therefore, you can disable the usage of weather station wind speed in the app. I have been thinking about adding some sort of scaling factor of the reported weather station wind speed. I have also thought about adding a customized weather parameters option, where you can specify the parameters yourself. What do you think?
Last edited by: Sandcake: Nov 2, 19 6:09
Quote Reply