Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0)
Quote | Reply
Please delete if it was posted already, but I don't remember seeing it over the last couple of days.

Bicycle Rolling Resistance tested the new Schwalbe Pro One TT TLE and it's their new #2 fastest tire ever tested - https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...walbe-pro-one-tt-tle.

I'm curious if the tread might be a bit more aero than the Corsa Speed 2.0 and give it more of an advantage. One other thing to note is the wider tread of the Pro One TT TLE. Both tires measured 27 mm wide on the tester's rim, but the Schwalbe has a tread measuring 32mm vs the Vittoria's 25 mm. One of my (many) flats on Corsa Speeds was on the edge of the tread. Nary a mark on the tread, but it punctured the casing/sidewall and wouldn't seal. It's no secret that ultra thin and flexible sidewalls are needed for low rolling resistance, but having a little bit less of them exposed in the Schwalbe seems like a plus.

Thank you BRR for the continued testing!
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:

I'm curious if the tread might be a bit more aero than the Corsa Speed 2.0 and give it more of an advantage.

Historically, the Pro One TLE has been a solid aero performer. If that translates to this new variant, it seems we may have a new King of the Mountain.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 29, 19 12:58
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info!

Looking forward for feedback in the next months from users to confirm advertised puncture protection/durability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless they make a 23mm version I doubt this will be the new sheriff in town...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Unless they make a 23mm version I doubt this will be the new sheriff in town...

I'll stick to my 23c GP5000 đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know. The lower puncture resistance doesn’t reassure me
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:

Yeah. Half the tyres that get discussed in ST aren't suitable for triathlon and were never designed for anything more than 40km TT on perfect roads that have been swept free of debris the day before as opposed to 180km on some shitty road in bum fuck Idaho.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:

Slower than a corsa speed... and less puncture resistance. The casing will be too thin to get any kind of meaningful aero trip for aero. So i doubt it will be an aero hero either.

Pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
iamuwere wrote:

Yeah. Half the tyres that get discussed in ST aren't suitable for triathlon and were never designed for anything more than 40km TT on perfect roads that have been swept free of debris the day before as opposed to 180km on some shitty road in bum fuck Idaho.

this is the tire kienle's ridden all year long. i can't say he's ridden it in every race, but i haven't seen him in a race this year where he wasn't riding it. if it's gumwall, it's the pro one TT:

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
zedzded wrote:
iamuwere wrote:

this is the tire kienle's ridden all year long. i can't say he's ridden it in every race, but i haven't seen him in a race this year where he wasn't riding it. if it's gumwall, it's the pro one TT:

We’ve got one in for testing and I’m hoping to put it in the tunnel against the Corsa Speed as well as the Crr test. It’s really light and thin but given that it’s tubeless I suppose that’s not so much of a problem compared with a clincher only tyre

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:

We’ve got one in for testing and I’m hoping to put it in the tunnel against the Corsa Speed as well as the Crr test. It’s really light and thin but given that it’s tubeless I suppose that’s not so much of a problem compared with a clincher only tyre

I'm not so sure Xav, the times that I have punctured racing the TT bike its been hitting stone/rocks on the road or an edge of a pothole, rather than simple small object.

Those bigger slash style punctures just don't seal with tubeless the way the small holes do. The use of thinner sidewall and tread seems to me to move towards that style of blowout puncture.

The GP5000 seem to me to be slightly thicker with that latex coating over the no tubeless version. Not sure how much extra protection that would give against the bigger style puncture.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
Xavier wrote:

I'm not so sure Xav, the times that I have punctured racing the TT bike its been hitting stone/rocks on the road or an edge of a pothole, rather than simple small object.

Those bigger slash style punctures just don't seal with tubeless the way the small holes do. The use of thinner sidewall and tread seems to me to move towards that style of blowout puncture.

The GP5000 seem to me to be slightly thicker with that latex coating over the no tubeless version. Not sure how much extra protection that would give against the bigger style puncture.

Personally I’ve had a good experience with the Corsa Speed, although I change them regularly as there’s a tipping point with their Crr where they get suddenly worse.

The GP 5000 TL is extremely thick isn’t it compared with the clincher - I’ve used them for training over the winter since last November on a training bike and been very happy with them, no punctures either. I did puncture one in a TTT in June but it sealed instantly and we carried on - a good advert for tubeless I think.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Personally I’ve had a good experience with the Corsa Speed, although I change them regularly as there’s a tipping point with their Crr where they get suddenly worse.

Hmmm, that's interesting because I was using them for as long as they lasted under the assumption that the Crr got better with wear similar to my Conti Supersonics.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:

Oh yes, please tell us more :)

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Xavier wrote:

Hmmm, that's interesting because I was using them for as long as they lasted under the assumption that the Crr got better with wear similar to my Conti Supersonics.

E

Yeah I wouldn't keep running them past the tipping point (it doesn't turn them into Gatorskins but they do become slower). At some point I'd love to put exact numbers on it but it's a lot of work - for the time being we just recommend to swap every 4-6 months and/or always put brand new tyres on before an important race.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're going to have to pry my Conti Supersonics out of my cold dead hands. I have used the same pair in races since 2016 :)

ericMPro wrote:
Xavier wrote:

E

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
we just recommend to swap every 4-6 months and/or always put brand new tyres on before an important race.

So the loss is age-related and not treat-wear-related? On outdoor track usage, I've worn 4-5 tires down to the casing over the past couple of years. Next time I do I'll measure Crr vs. new to try to corroborate.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 30, 19 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying Pro One TT have less puncture resistance than Corsa Speed? where did you obtained this information?
If that's the case these tires would definitely be a no for me. When I had Corsa Speed tubeless they lasted at most 100-200kms.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The puncture testing/rating is in the link from the original post.

The point I was trying to make in that post is that having more tread width is going to make a tire more puncture resistant. The tread on the Corsa Speed is pretty narrow and it's easy to cut the sidewall when it's so exposed. While the tread on the Schwalbe is a lower 'puncture rating' it's still higher than that of the sidewall on the Corsa Speed tires.

When Specialized made their 'Hell of the North' tire, it was basically a wider Turbo Cotton with tread that went up 4 mm more on each side (leaving less sidewall exposed for easy punctures). This new Schwalbe has tread going up 3.5 mm more each side than the Corsa. It's fairly unscientific, but I would think that there's a chance the Schwalbe could have better real-world puncture protection since they won't have as much fragile sidewall exposed.

Like others, I'll probably stick with the latex tube and 23 mm GP5000 up front.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Xavier wrote:
we just recommend to swap every 4-6 months and/or always put brand new tyres on before an important race.

So the loss is age-related and not treat-wear-related? On outdoor track usage, I've worn 4-5 tires down to the casing over the past couple of years. Next time I do I'll measure Crr vs. new to try to corroborate.

Sorry I should have been clearer - it's tread wear rather than age, I just meant 4-5 months of TT racing.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
Are you saying Pro One TT have less puncture resistance than Corsa Speed? where did you obtained this information?
If that's the case these tires would definitely be a no for me. When I had Corsa Speed tubeless they lasted at most 100-200kms.

Refer to the bike rolling resistance site puncture data.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Xavier wrote:

I don’t have an answer, however brr.com is doing a long term test of the gp5000 to see how crr changes over time. The assumption that tires are faster as they age (thinner) is not a good assumption, but is likely true for some Tires (presumably nobby tires as knobs wear down). We know tires can become less aero as they wear. Crr changes likely depend on materials, and are tire unique.

my armchair logic says Corsa speeds should not significantly change aero properties in time as they are too thin to have meaningful shape changes due to tread wear. They will puncture first.

The gp5000 fell off quickly in crr if i remember brr.com info correctly. I think smarter minds have made assumptions that certain compounds, or maybe even thin surface coatings/rubber that lowers crr initially, may quickly wear off in the first 500-1000kms. We are waiting on data for larger miles and how they effect crr of the tire. Fascinating stuff... but again, likely unique to each make/design of tire.

My armchair logic says Uniformly harder rubbers will likely suffer the least over time to declining crr. Compounds with “fast” surface layers of rubber will taper off quickly.

There are really a lot of unknowns, and the answer of “which tire is fastest” is likely far
More complex than we can imagine. Tire age/compound likely has a part in it.

In the race car world, the high performance sticky race rubber hardens (loses grip) just by sitting around. All tires do this, but the higher performance/sticky stuff does it faster. They can also “heat cycle” out. But they see much higher temps than bike tires, so it is a different ballgame.

Long story short, i think the “replace them frequently” approach of aerocoach is likely spot on if you want optimal performance.

This type of tire flys pretty close to the sun to be as fast as it is. “How fast do you want to go? How fast do you want to spend?” Is the car mantra.

I still think the gp5000 is the best all round performance tire, balancing speed, aero, and durability. If it turns out to be a hot tire only for the first few hundred kms... i might start thinking about other options... but they may suffer similar fates.

The more we know, the more we realize what we do not know.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Nov 1, 19 6:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Xav, have you been able to test the tire in the wind tunnel yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT-TLE roller tested (within half a watt of the Corsa Speed 2.0) [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guillermoD wrote:
Hey Xav, have you been able to test the tire in the wind tunnel yet?

Not yet - perhaps in a couple of weeks we might be able to fit it in (I’m pushing to get it done!)

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply