Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you, how was your week, and what are you doing for Halloween?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dr TC. Thanks for getting us started - how was your weekend away? How did your cousin get on?

Travel last week kicked my butt. I had two consecutive days off which meant a little shuffling to get things in. I landed up at 3 swims, 2 bike rides, 2 runs and 2 short strength sessions. I also tried my best to avoid getting caught up in conflict between my father and sister (aaaaaaargh).

This week. I'm on call for overnights and the weekend so fingers crossed it's not too hectic. I'm not into Halloween so at most I'll join the department neighbourhood patrol; otherwise the plan is to hide away in the basement.
M: run + swim (both done)
T: bike + strength
W: run + swim
Th: bike + strength
F: run + swim
S: bike
S: rest. Maybe I'll make a pie.

Hope the womens are doing well.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik. I forgot to chime in last week but I'm still puttering along, finishing my old job, getting ready for me new job, and uprooting my life of ten years here in SoCal for the PNW.

Last week I ran four times, did a lot of climbing on my bike over four rides, swam twice, and didn't do any yoga. This week I'm headed home to New York so I'll mostly run trails, do yoga, and hangout with my fam. My offseason is perfectly timed with this life tornado.

Hoping everyone finds some good vibes and has a Happy Halloween and training too 🎃

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good morning ladies,

Thanks for getting us going, Dr. TC! I hope that you're doing well and holding onto your healthy coping when it gets tough.

Last week kinda muddled along, much like everything else at the moment. My major win for the week was completing a piece of schoolwork that I'd been putting off for at least a month, and getting it back with lots of nice comments from the grader. It was a healthy reminder that I am more capable than I give myself credit for sometimes.

On Friday I played hooky from life - told my husband I was going to work and work I was staying home sick, and drove up to Sebago Lake to take pictures and dip my toes in the water. It was glorious and I loved all the minutes of wandering carefree. I also managed to get out in the glorious fall weather on Saturday and meander my way through 30 bluebird miles without any pain or discomfort, which considering the last time I threw my leg over a bike was over a month ago, I was very pleased with. I rode 2:30 for an elapsed time of 4:35, so I did a lot of stopping and smelling the... well, the fresh, crisp air.

On the actual fun side, I did get to take part in a trivia bee with a couple of friends. It was a stellar time, and we helped raise over $10K for a local neighbours-helping-neighbours charity. I feel particularly attached to this charity given that a) I used to share office space with them and b) when I was unemployed last winter they filled my oil tank up so that we didn't freeze to death. They're good people.

Plan for this week is to keep on keeping on. Try and stay in a decent headspace. Not smother my husband. I don't know if there will be another opportunity to ride, but if there is I intend to take it. Still embracing the crap out of my non-prescribed-training period.

I hope y'all have a great week, and Scheherazade..... I'll be over for pie on Sunday ;o)
Last edited by: UK2ME: Oct 29, 19 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy ::checks calendar:: Tuesday Ladies!

Dr. TC- I hope you enjoyed DC! Sorry we couldn't make schedules work, and also sorry for the shit weather on Sunday. Hope your cousin had fun splashing in the puddled at MCM!

Sher- SAVE ME A PIECE. Be right there! Are you getting any of the smoke up there from the Cali fires?

UK2ME- I need to take a master class from you on playing life hooky. That sounds glorious.

Socal- I hope your trip home is more relaxing than your tornado that is happening!


Last's week goal was Chicago and yes, I Chicagoed. It was awesome. 10 miles of running, about 20 miles of meandering, an fish tank the size of Shedd Aquarium of adult beverages were consumed and my beloved Bears were booed off the field because they suck. I also saw a dear friend from college and it's always amazing to me how you can go months or years at a time out of constant contact and still pick up like nothing happened. I also got swept up in a massive event happening in the city yesterday- if you watched the news at all, I'm sure you know what this is ;) Getting home at 11 last night was brutal. Worth it though.

This week's goals- back to the somewhat grind

M- fun day, and I called my 10 miles of walking my "fun" day :)
Tu- 1700yd swim and strength (nailed it)
W- 70min Zwift and conditioning
Th- 45min of run intervals
F- 2400yd swim and strength. My tri team starts its "off season diet bet" this day. Hold me. I'm also seeing Nick Offerman at the Kennedy Center, which will be amazing.
Sa- 8mi run and strength (there's a lot of strength this week)
Su- yoga!

L1 USAT Coach | L3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot
Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
2022: Who freaking knows except it's Déjà vu all over again.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My cousin had a blast! I had a lot of fun too. The only bad part was not making the schedules work so I could meet you. Next year, or in Maine!
What's the "off season diet bet"?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals this week are to swim MTW (today's done), and have a good weekend - I fly to New England on Wednesday afternoon to spend Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun with my cousin and her family. She's running MCM. Hopefully I can meet Dr. Cupcake!

goals met except Dr. C and I didn't get to meet up. My cousin had a really fun first marathon and was happy with her 5:37 finish. I had a really fun weekend in the city (and traveling with she, her wife, and their two kids to the race).

M: 8.6 mi run + 1075 yd swim
T: 7 mi run + 425 yd swim
W: 7.3 mi run + 475 yd swim
T: 4 mi run
F: 7+ mi run
S: "off" (walked all over DC)
S: 9.5 mi run

This week's goal: get back on top of the glute/hamstring PT exercises, do stuff that makes me faster AND HEALTHIER, ride the freshly-tuned up bike that I should be able to collect tomorrow :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
My cousin had a blast! I had a lot of fun too. The only bad part was not making the schedules work so I could meet you. Next year, or in Maine!
What's the "off season diet bet"?

Definitely! Or in Maine! :)

We're doing a "hold it for the holidays" pool. Pay to play by 10/31, weigh-in on 11/1, Weight out on 2/1. The goal is to not gain at all during the holidays, and if you manage you get your money back and a $25 for team services (anything from a one on one session with coach to cryotherapy). We're also getting coached through this from our team's RD, who is pretty awesome.

L1 USAT Coach | L3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot
Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
2022: Who freaking knows except it's Déjà vu all over again.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool!
I just did a health checkup thing at work that gets -$10 on my health insurance per month. I have some *~issues~* and don't like being weighed - so the woman was like "you can put anything you don't want weighed on that chair over there" so I sat down in the chair :D I win*.





*then they told me they needed a number to put in the computer so I said "try pi". We eventually negotiated something that won't result in alarm when the results get sent to my doctor.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
My cousin had a blast! I had a lot of fun too. The only bad part was not making the schedules work so I could meet you. Next year, or in Maine!
What's the "off season diet bet"?


Definitely! Or in Maine! :)

So, um, if you do this in Maine, I want in. I'll even buy a round ;o)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
cool!
I just did a health checkup thing at work that gets -$10 on my health insurance per month. I have some *~issues~* and don't like being weighed - so the woman was like "you can put anything you don't want weighed on that chair over there" so I sat down in the chair :D I win*.





*then they told me they needed a number to put in the computer so I said "try pi". We eventually negotiated something that won't result in alarm when the results get sent to my doctor.

One of the reasons why I completely burned it all down when I left the first endo that "treated" me when I was first experiencing the menopause symptoms was that she insisted on weighing me herself when she didn't believe the numbers on the chart, and then every time I saw her thereafter she did the same and would say the number out loud, when I vehemently protested her doing that EVERY TIME, because I hate hate hate being clinically weighed (always have, really long story best saved for being in the presence of a leather couch and a lot of alcohol). I was like, look bitch, I'm suicidal, I'm miserable, and I've told you to NOT do this because it's not helping my headspace. She didn't listen. Thankfully the practice manager did.

L1 USAT Coach | L3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot
Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
2022: Who freaking knows except it's Déjà vu all over again.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
Quote:
My cousin had a blast! I had a lot of fun too. The only bad part was not making the schedules work so I could meet you. Next year, or in Maine!
What's the "off season diet bet"?

Definitely! Or in Maine! :)
So, um, if you do this in Maine, I want in. I'll even buy a round ;o)

You bet!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
cool!
I just did a health checkup thing at work that gets -$10 on my health insurance per month. I have some *~issues~* and don't like being weighed - so the woman was like "you can put anything you don't want weighed on that chair over there" so I sat down in the chair :D I win*.





*then they told me they needed a number to put in the computer so I said "try pi". We eventually negotiated something that won't result in alarm when the results get sent to my doctor.


One of the reasons why I completely burned it all down when I left the first endo that "treated" me when I was first experiencing the menopause symptoms was that she insisted on weighing me herself when she didn't believe the numbers on the chart, and then every time I saw her thereafter she did the same and would say the number out loud, when I vehemently protested her doing that EVERY TIME, because I hate hate hate being clinically weighed (always have, really long story best saved for being in the presence of a leather couch and a lot of alcohol). I was like, look bitch, I'm suicidal, I'm miserable, and I've told you to NOT do this because it's not helping my headspace. She didn't listen. Thankfully the practice manager did.

Well done Dr TC. And a huge BOO to your doc Dr. C

When you are pregnant you get weighed all.the.time. at the doctor's office. My doc didn't care about my weight other than to remind me that "whatever I gained, I would have to lose". I'm not sure why the early pregnancy weighing is still standard. The late pregnancy weighing is so they have information if they need to do emergency surgery/c-sections.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When you are pregnant you get weighed all.the.time. at the doctor's office. My doc didn't care about my weight other than to remind me that "whatever I gained, I would have to lose". I'm not sure why the early pregnancy weighing is still standard. The late pregnancy weighing is so they have information if they need to do emergency surgery/c-sections.


What an awful thing to say. You don't have to do anything :-) what a way to put even more pressure on moms with newborns to "get their body back."

Fortunately, my PCP is super understanding, and I have her nurse trained that she doesn't even ask me to step on the scale anymore. That took some work - the first time, I politely declined, and she said "We need weight for some medications." I explained "I'm not on any meds that are weight dependent."

The reality is I really like my doctor and might actually be willing to be weighed if she pushed it, but she's happy to believe me (I have no problem weighing myself, just something about other people doing it... the result of years of the trauma of weight-related illness)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Oct 29, 19 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
Quote:
cool!
I just did a health checkup thing at work that gets -$10 on my health insurance per month. I have some *~issues~* and don't like being weighed - so the woman was like "you can put anything you don't want weighed on that chair over there" so I sat down in the chair :D I win*.





*then they told me they needed a number to put in the computer so I said "try pi". We eventually negotiated something that won't result in alarm when the results get sent to my doctor.
One of the reasons why I completely burned it all down when I left the first endo that "treated" me when I was first experiencing the menopause symptoms was that she insisted on weighing me herself when she didn't believe the numbers on the chart, and then every time I saw her thereafter she did the same and would say the number out loud, when I vehemently protested her doing that EVERY TIME, because I hate hate hate being clinically weighed (always have, really long story best saved for being in the presence of a leather couch and a lot of alcohol). I was like, look bitch, I'm suicidal, I'm miserable, and I've told you to NOT do this because it's not helping my headspace. She didn't listen. Thankfully the practice manager did.

Yeah, that's not ok. Good on you for going higher up. Hopefully it helped other people who are nutty like us ;-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got weighed EVERY DAY in college 🤦🏻‍♀️ It was a hard habit to decondition and took a long time. Now I weigh myself annually at the doctor and flex like a posing bodybuilder while standing on the scale to make the nurses laugh. Self-deprecating humor is my defense mechanism but YMMV.

I try to remember that weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object and mass is a measure of an object's matter but neither matter for my mood, running ability, confidence, or self worth.

Thinking of you.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Self-deprecating humor is my defense mechanism but YMMV.
Mine is making jokes (often inappropriate or irreverent ones) and showing off my intelligence...

Quote:
I got weighed EVERY DAY in college 🤦🏻‍♀️ It was a hard habit to decondition and took a long time.
I assume that had to do with college running? If you don't mind my asking what years were you in college? Hoping they don't subject people to stuff like that now.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's fairly unusual now but 20 years ago (gosh) a weid obsession with "race weight" was more common.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
When you are pregnant you get weighed all.the.time. at the doctor's office. My doc didn't care about my weight other than to remind me that "whatever I gained, I would have to lose". I'm not sure why the early pregnancy weighing is still standard. The late pregnancy weighing is so they have information if they need to do emergency surgery/c-sections.


What an awful thing to say. You don't have to do anything :-) what a way to put even more pressure on moms with newborns to "get their body back."

Fortunately, my PCP is super understanding, and I have her nurse trained that she doesn't even ask me to step on the scale anymore. That took some work - the first time, I politely declined, and she said "We need weight for some medications." I explained "I'm not on any meds that are weight dependent."

The reality is I really like my doctor and might actually be willing to be weighed if she pushed it, but she's happy to believe me (I have no problem weighing myself, just something about other people doing it... the result of years of the trauma of weight-related illness)

Actually, I really liked that attitude. Lots of women get pressure from their doctors to "not gain too much". HA. My body had a mind of it's own when I was pregnant. She wasn't saying I HAD to lose the weight, just to be mindful that it might require some work on the other end. She's been my dr since university - so we have a history. She definitely gets me.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gah, I'm late to this party. But y'all, the stories about weight are appalling. It's interesting to hear that some of us resist being weighed at the doctor's office. I'd never thought about it before, but I'm totally going punk rock and doing it next time...

Everything's fine here. I did all my workouts last week except like half the planks. I think we're just going to need to do something different than planks every day. I also was getting a migraine when I started my strength and had to stop midway.

This week I have 4 bikes, 2 runs, 1 swim, and 1 strength. I'm on the ball so far. This weekend, I'm heading to the big, national conference for my profession and I'm booked solid from 7 am to 10 pm every day. It's a lot of work, but honestly, since what I do is very nerdy and very specialized, it's mostly just hanging with my friends. I'm looking forward to it. For working out, my coach is letting me be a bit more chill, just 45 minutes each, and one of the workouts is just to play with the hotel's Peloton bike.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GiantNewb wrote:
one of the workouts is just to play with the hotel's Peloton bike.
That sounds like fun! You'll have to tell us what you think.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
Quote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
When you are pregnant you get weighed all.the.time. at the doctor's office. My doc didn't care about my weight other than to remind me that "whatever I gained, I would have to lose". I'm not sure why the early pregnancy weighing is still standard. The late pregnancy weighing is so they have information if they need to do emergency surgery/c-sections.

What an awful thing to say. You don't have to do anything :-) what a way to put even more pressure on moms with newborns to "get their body back."

Fortunately, my PCP is super understanding, and I have her nurse trained that she doesn't even ask me to step on the scale anymore. That took some work - the first time, I politely declined, and she said "We need weight for some medications." I explained "I'm not on any meds that are weight dependent."

The reality is I really like my doctor and might actually be willing to be weighed if she pushed it, but she's happy to believe me (I have no problem weighing myself, just something about other people doing it... the result of years of the trauma of weight-related illness)
Actually, I really liked that attitude. Lots of women get pressure from their doctors to "not gain too much". HA. My body had a mind of it's own when I was pregnant. She wasn't saying I HAD to lose the weight, just to be mindful that it might require some work on the other end. She's been my dr since university - so we have a history. She definitely gets me.

that's a perspective I obviously hadn't considered. As long as it worked for you! glad you have an MD that gets you... so important.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply