Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clearance requirements for Di2 external battery
Quote | Reply
All,

Have a vintage bike frame and want to put an external Di2 battery on it without losing a bottle cage. I am trying to figure out the clearance requirements for the BM-DN100-L, which is this one: https://bike.shimano.com/...-di2/BM-DN100-L.html

What amount of vertical space is needed to fit that under a bottle cage on the seat tube? The installation indicates that 108 mm is needed along the down tube, which I can accommodate.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Clearance requirements for Di2 external battery [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure what exactly you’re asking, but I think this is the same battery that I have. Here are the measurements on my bike (overall length=3.75" and overall height=1.5"). Let me know if you need any other measurements. I took pictures but cannot get them to upload. If you message me your email address, I will email them to you.
Last edited by: anitan1: Oct 26, 19 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Clearance requirements for Di2 external battery [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackattack wrote:
All,

Have a vintage bike frame and want to put an external Di2 battery on it without losing a bottle cage. I am trying to figure out the clearance requirements for the BM-DN100-L, which is this one: https://bike.shimano.com/...-di2/BM-DN100-L.html

What amount of vertical space is needed to fit that under a bottle cage on the seat tube? The installation indicates that 108 mm is needed along the down tube, which I can accommodate.

Thanks!

I would recommend you take a look at using the external internal battery mount. It is much lower profile than the original external battery.

See here: https://bike.shimano.com/...050-di2/SM-BTC1.html

Besides low profile this adapter also includes a six port junction b inside which might clean up your vintage install if routing most wiring external.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just put it on the downtube and not the seat tube. I felt the long cage moved the bottle cage mount too far on the seat tube for my road bike on a 54cm frame Supersix Evo. Here is my setup:

I am running the exact same battery mount you are referring to the latest BM-DN100-L that is compatible with Syncroshift and Bluetooth adapter. But I don't use either on my road bike and prefer the manual control for shifting.

For reference there is a 25oz bottle in the pic I posted.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Oct 26, 19 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: Clearance requirements for Di2 external battery [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m trying to use the BM-DN100 so that I can get all the advanced features.

A link here to pics of the space I am working with: https://www.flickr.com/gp/185207832@N04/cbkw0F

I don’t think it will fit without removing one of the bottle cages. Concur?

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackattack wrote:
I’m trying to use the BM-DN100 so that I can get all the advanced features.

A link here to pics of the space I am working with: https://www.flickr.com/gp/185207832@N04/cbkw0F

I don’t think it will fit without removing one of the bottle cages. Concur?

What do you mean by advanced features? If this is Bluetooth capable both the external and internal battery installations support the feature.

My guess would be that fitting the external battery mount in there won’t work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow...you how much less room than I expected. I think you should look into using an internal battery or that other one that allows use of an internal battery externally.

It's actually pretty easy to route wires for internal seat post battery actually. My setup I pictured I easily could of if I wanted to but went external because I got the batteries so cheap on eBay.
Quote Reply
Re: Clearance requirements for Di2 external battery [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - synchro shift and Bluetooth connection. I need the BT-DN110 battery and the external mounts for an internal style Di2 battery doesn’t explicitly list compatibility with this newer version. So I am not sure if it works.

Does anyone know?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s a small frame.

I can route internal, but I’ll need to drill the frame. Is that what you mean?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically the under bottom bracket cable guide there is an opening you can use to run the di2 wires into the frame without drilling. For my Supersix for example a plastic cable guide was just a pop fit to an hole made for that. I've seen on other frames it can be metal and has a threaded hole.

Like this for example

I put an under bb Junction B there and then ran Di2 cables through another opening for the front derailleur cable which exits behind the chainstay to a 2nd opening. Both my front derailuer and external battery mount.l.cables are run through this routing. I could have easily ran the battery cable instead through the entry point under the BB and up the seat tube or even the downtube if I wanted.

But looking again at your pics you might not have enough room in there to route the di2 cable behind the bottom bracket. My frame has plenty of space in there since it is a carbon frame.

Another way you could set it up is instead get a short mount version of the DN-100 and zip tie it under your saddle between the rails. Run the cable accordingly to get to the junction A or B. I mulled this idea when figuring out how to route the wires on my Tri bike.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Oct 26, 19 19:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve looked at getting inside the frame before and there isn’t any direct access.

Under the seat is an option, thanks for the suggestion.

Doing a little digging on the external mount for the internal battery, this link says the SM-BTC1 is compatible with the BT-DN110: https://bike.shimano.com/...050-di2/SM-BTC1.html

The only uncertainty I have is that this mount is made for XTR. It sounds like the junction boxes for XTR and Di2 are probably the same, but I haven’t confirmed yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All junctions are compatible with both XTR and Di2 with the exception of the first gen Di2 (same with batteries). Only thing you can't mix and match is derailleurs. For example an XTR front won't work with an Ultegra rear.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Oct 27, 19 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackattack wrote:
Yes - synchro shift and Bluetooth connection. I need the BT-DN110 battery and the external mounts for an internal style Di2 battery doesn’t explicitly list compatibility with this newer version. So I am not sure if it works.

Does anyone know?

Yes. I know. I have a couple of the newer BT internal batteries and they work fine. The external mount has no relevance as the connections are all dumb and it doesn't have a CANBUS chip. The only difference between using internal and external is that most use an external charger for the external battery while with the internal battery you will need a Junction A that includes a charging port and the internal battery charger.

You can go here to get compatibility questions answered: https://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/

Here is the latest compatibility chart from this page: https://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/...M-CC.3.4.3-00-EN.pdf
Quote Reply