Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Usada treatment of the Nate Diaz positive
Quote | Reply
Maybe this should be in the LR, but it pertains to doping in sport.

Anyone else following the tainted supplement case of Diaz? Isn’t it a bit suspicious that usada is saying Diaz did nothing wrong and isn’t facing any sort of suspension? Other athletes who have had similar tainted supplement cases (like ostarine in salt supplements) have had to serve 6 suspensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Usada treatment of the Nate Diaz positive [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:

Anyone else following the tainted supplement case of Diaz? Isn’t it a bit suspicious that usada is saying Diaz did nothing wrong and isn’t facing any sort of suspension? Other athletes who have had similar tainted supplement cases (like ostarine in salt supplements) have had to serve 6 suspensions.

Definitely weird that they accepted tainted sample, and let it slide, even saying words to the effect that the amount found in his blood was too small to affect performance.

WADA also kinda-exonerated Contador for his positive by saying it was likely a contaminated supplement with clenbuterol, but that didnt stop them from taking over a year to grind through the case and also take away his Tour win.

Could it be tat how strict they are depends on the governing body of the sport?

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Re: Usada treatment of the Nate Diaz positive [guadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really. It's all about actually proving that the supplement is tainted. SMRTL tested more bottles from the same lot number and it was tainted.

Good on Nate Diaz for doing what he had to do...would like for him to sue this supplement manufacturer though.

Remember, most of the time, athletes who say their supplement is tainted do nothing to actually prove it was tainted.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Usada treatment of the Nate Diaz positive [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Not really. It's all about actually proving that the supplement is tainted. SMRTL tested more bottles from the same lot number and it was tainted.

Good on Nate Diaz for doing what he had to do...would like for him to sue this supplement manufacturer though.

Remember, most of the time, athletes who say their supplement is tainted do nothing to actually prove it was tainted.

question. let's say the manufacturer uses a cGMP lab. the AAF is trigged by a trace amount so small that the most likely explanation is that microscopic residue from the last batch, from whatever the manufacturer, or the batch before that, is the culprit. the manufacturer of the supplement is culpable how?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Usada treatment of the Nate Diaz positive [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the manufacturer is producing products in a NSF/GMP facility there should be zero contamination. That would be grounds for termination of certification. I wanted to state that as an Athlete I only take stuff that is manufactured in an NSF/GMP facility...but then I went and looked at a bunch of stuff we use...

Gatorade is not registered with NSF/GMP.

NSF's database is archaic seem searchable. But here's the Informed Choice/Sport list.

Hammer Nutrition is registered with Informed Choice/Sport for three products, but not their gels.
Gu is registered with Informed Choice/Sport.
SiS is registered with Informed Choice/Sport.
Nuun is registered with Informed Choice/Sport.

So we have some giants in the industry avoiding various programs that are meant to show consumers that their products are safe and drug free.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 26, 19 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Usada treatment of the Nate Diaz positive [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
If the manufacturer is producing products in a NSF/GMP facility there should be zero contamination.

yeah. you're right. but what if it happens? or more precisely, what about when it happens? i don't even know that informed choice requires manufactures to us cGMP labs. i don't know. do you?

TheStroBro wrote:
So we have some giants in the industry avoiding various programs that are meant to show consumers that their products are safe and drug free.

maybe they're avoiding "various programs" because they're not avoiding other programs. what does it cost to join the informed choice program? is that superfluous because of other safeguards in place? i don't know. you're pretty quick to throw brands under the bus. are you certain?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Usada treatment of the Nate Diaz positive [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:

Is that what USADA said? Their official statement Friday appears to just be this:

USADA wrote:
Following Mr. Diaz’s public comments on Thursday we can confirm that he has not been sanctioned or provisionally suspended by USADA. As the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping program, USADA always provides every athlete the presumption of innocence. If the athlete publicly speaks of a potential violation first, then USADA may choose to comment.

That doesn't say he did nothing wrong or that he isn't facing suspension.
I'm guessing what might have happened is Diaz was notified of a adverse analytical finding, and given the option to have his B-sample tested. Then Diaz went public. The above is USADA saying, yeah, he's not currently sanctioned and we don't sanction guys who are still in the process.

It only seems to be a backdoor admission that Diaz is somewhere in the pipeline. I would be shocked if Diaz didn't at least receive an official public warning at some point.

Though I'm still pissed at how USADA treated Floyd Mayweather's intravenous IV. Giving him a back-dated TUE was complete bullshit. I realize it was a tough situation with millions on the line, and not a hardcore doping violation. But it was bending the rules because of money, pure and simple.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 26, 19 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: Usada treatment of the Nate Diaz positive [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
If the manufacturer is producing products in a NSF/GMP facility there should be zero contamination.

yeah. you're right. but what if it happens? or more precisely, what about when it happens? i don't even know that informed choice requires manufactures to us cGMP labs. i don't know. do you?

TheStroBro wrote:

maybe they're avoiding "various programs" because they're not avoiding other programs. what does it cost to join the informed choice program? is that superfluous because of other safeguards in place? i don't know. you're pretty quick to throw brands under the bus. are you certain?

Am I certain that Gatorade isn't in Informed Choice? Yes, the link I listed is a PDF that was posted on 20 OCT 19. When I searched Gatorade on NSF it didn't come up.

Those are really the only programs that I know of in the Performance side of the supplement industry. There is also US Pharmocopeia, but that tends to be more on the herbal stuff. That one is expensive. For a Giant like Gatorade not seek certification they're failing the industry and their customer. They should be leading in this one IMO. Do they cost money? Certainly. But these smaller companies have obviously found value by doing it.

Based on what Informed Choice is stating here: https://www.informed-choice.org/gmp-auditing

It would a relatively safe assumption that certified products are being produced in NSF/GMP facilities. The products go through third party testing to maintain certification.

Quote Reply