Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

rear bike light suggestions- that has a night time group ride friendly mode
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to get rear bike light suggestions with the following requirements:

Compatible for a road bike with aero seatpost. It does not need to fit around a TT seatpost.

Minimalist design and light weight.

Rechargable

Lumens- it does not need a daylight mode or be super bright- but I need a night time group ride friendly mode(s)- such as 30 lumens or less.

Battery life- 5 hours or longer on group ride friendly mode(s).

I already have a very bright rear light for solo riding.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Oct 25, 19 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: rear bike light suggestions- that has a group ride friendly mode [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By "really bright" do you by chance have a Bontrager Flare R?

It has a night mode that would probably meet your day group ride requirements. However, the group I ride with almost all have the flare R running in daytime mode and no one is bothered.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: rear bike light suggestions- that has a group ride friendly mode [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have the Flare R, but will take a look at it. I also updated my post- as I want a *night time* group ride friendly mode. Sorry about not including that on the first go around.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Oct 25, 19 12:30
Quote Reply
Re: rear bike light suggestions- that has a group ride friendly mode [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO the best strategy for riding with people at night is to put the light into solid, non-flash, mode.
Much less distracting to other riders.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: rear bike light suggestions- that has a night time group ride friendly mode [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are your riding buddies complaining about the rear light? some people on my morning rides will have a ridiculously bright light on, but we just grin and bear it in the interest of safety. when the sun comes up it becomes less noticeable right away
Quote Reply
Re: rear bike light suggestions- that has a night time group ride friendly mode [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin Varia RTL510. Light with a bright day mode and night mode (both flash and solid). Most importantly also rear radar in both night and day. Fits on round or aero post. Rechargeable and 6 hours even with the radar. Once I got one I can't believe I ever rode without one before.
Last edited by: bet: Oct 25, 19 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: rear bike light suggestions- that has a night time group ride friendly mode [bet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bet wrote:
Garmin Varia RTL510. Light with a bright day mode and night mode (both flash and solid). Most importantly also rear radar in both night and day. Fits on round or aero post. Rechargeable and 6 hours even with the radar. Once I got one I can't believe I ever rode without one before.

This. End thread.
Quote Reply
Re: rear bike light suggestions- that has a group ride friendly mode [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Bontrager Flare R"
--------------------------
X 3 (I think). I love this light. Works great day and night.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got the Lezyne LED KVT and seems like it would meet most of your requirements.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Varia. It’s not even a discussion. Spend the money.
Quote Reply
Re: rear bike light suggestions- that has a night time group ride friendly mode [2lazy2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t have a Varia but I ride with a buddy who does and it’s awesome. I’ll be getting one at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: rear bike light suggestions- that has a night time group ride friendly mode [2lazy2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. And in group rides it can connect to multiple garmins for the alerts
Quote Reply
Re: rear bike light suggestions- that has a night time group ride friendly mode [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
bet wrote:

This. End thread.

+1

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: rear bike light suggestions- that has a night time group ride friendly mode [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
are your riding buddies complaining about the rear light? some people on my morning rides will have a ridiculously bright light on, but we just grin and bear it in the interest of safety. when the sun comes up it becomes less noticeable right away

Yes, The brighter lights, during the darkness, get grumbling from others. Thanks all, to the suggestions!
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Oct 25, 19 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycliq Fly 6.
Has solid as well as blinking nodes, as well as dimming modes.
Probably bigger and heavier than what you are thinking, but you get video as well.
In group rides, I find a slightly dimmed slow pulse or solid taillight to be best.
Quote Reply