Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Noob question on prise purses: Can an AGer earn the same prise if he(she) comes in the top ranks ?
Quote | Reply
Just a question I'm asking myself. As I often see some good AGers with top 10 results overall in races.
Can they access the prise purses or because they didn't have the same start time, they are ruled out of them ?
That brings me to question why do top young AGers don't race as "pros", to at least go for a few bucks and reimburse a bit of their expenses ?

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Noob question on prise purses: Can an AGer earn the same prise if he(she) comes in the top ranks ? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the total prize purse is less than $5000 all athletes are eligible.

It seems like a lot of top AGers don't race pro because they want to race Kona, or other championship events. It can also be a much lonelier race in the pro ranks, which can make it a less enjoyable racing experience. And there isn't just that much prize money available to really make it worth it, even at most Ironman races where money can get pretty slim beyond the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: Noob question on prise purses: Can an AGer earn the same prise if he(she) comes in the top ranks ? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe if the prize purse is under $5k, then the RD can dole it out however they want, so AG'ers can win it too. But above that, you have to race head to head in the pro field, for obvious reasons( I presume they are obvious).

And there could be a ton of reasons for some folks to not go pro having made the standard. But most young people in this position probably give it a lot of thought, and probably most take a pro card to test the waters..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually those athletes aren't going to be getting the same position of out of the pro ranks for starters so there really isn't any money to be had. Obviously athletes make the jump but they are few and far between and they tend to come from either a swim background or are real powerhouses on the bike/run. Regardless Pro triathlon keeps thinning out, this was by far the weakest year I have seen NA pro races in quite some time. I expect this trend to continue as there is less and less value out there as professionals and I am actually seeing more and more as an age-grouper. But people have different reasons for things. There have been pros and they went back to amatuer too. They just didn't like pro racing, it can be quite a bit different from both an ego perspective but also tactics/racing perspective. Remember if professional racing was steady-state we would see faster times and more consistent times, but it isn't. It really is racing especially early on the swim and bike legs.

Also, Top 10 isn't money. Some races are Top 5, 6, 8.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember age grouper Kendra Lee having the fastest overall female time at Ironman Canada in 2012 but not getting any $$.

Earlier that year Drew Scott had the fastest overall time at Buffalo Springs 70.3 as an age grouper

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s rent seeking/barrier to entry depending on your POV.

That said, IMO if you don’t start in the same wave and aren’t under same rules then it’s not racing and therefore not eligible.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply