Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAT auto-renew. You must opt out.
Quote | Reply
Went to renew my membership today and almost missed unchecking the box for this change

For your convenience, USA Triathlon offers auto-renewal. Unless you opt out, your membership will automatically renew on an annual basis unless you cancel or we suspend or terminate your membership. For recurring memberships, you must affirmatively cancel at least one (1) day prior to the last day of your current term to avoid being charged.

You may cancel a recurring membership at any time by calling 719-955-2807 or by canceling via Billing Details page on membership.usatriathlon.org. Membership rates are subject to change. For more details, please visit our Terms of Use.

For our "convenience". How kind of them. We have to opt-out. And of course, the only way you can undo it is to make a call. No way to do it online. It's like the Active.Com "advantage" scam.

Is this new? I sure don't remember seeing it before.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT auto-renew. You must opt out. [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this on the USAT website? I have never used anything other than race registrations to renew my license.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isn't new. And I've unchecked the box every time when registering. And it's not really a scam, it's basically similar to your auto-billing of your cable.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to nitpick, but what you quoted says you can cancel at the billing details page at membership.usatriathlon.org and as far as I can tell that is true. So there is an online option to cancel auto renewal.

Move on. Keep training. Be an adult.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT auto-renew. You must opt out. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
This isn't new. And I've unchecked the box every time when registering. And it's not really a scam, it's basically similar to your auto-billing of your cable.

I will admit I am liberal with the word "scam". And you are right on the billing page thing. I really need to read more carefully.

But to my mind, anything that automatically opts you IN to be billed is a scam. Across the board. It's one of the most cynical ploys out there. Someone is quite deliberately counting on the fact that you won't notice the checkbox and so will get automatically billed at least once.

Someone in marketing might say, "that's just marketing". But marketing people aren't really the place to look for a moral compass ;-)
Quote Reply