Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

100 miles
Quote | Reply
So I am at the lowest levels of fatness and out of shapeness. Star Jones just beat me in a sprint to the last snickers at walmart. Meatloaf just asked when I was due. I mean fat!

So there is a century I want to do in August. What is the best way for me to get ready for it? Lots of miles through out the week or wekly long rides? How do I mix runs into this? I have a half marathon in November and want to move my cycling fitness into the run.

I am not looking to do anything more than finnish strongly. 2004 will be my get back in year. 2005 will be the year of triathlon domination.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 miles [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your first century is quite daunting. The best way to prepare for it is to get out and ride a lot. I'd suggest joining a roadie group and ride with them three times a week, your Sunday morning ride being the long ride of three hours or so. When you do your first century do it with the roadie group, not solo. This way you have motivation/support from them and the advantage of the draft within the group. You may also wish to try a metric century (100 kms, about 66 miles) first. Suggest it as a Sunday ride to the roadie group.

Our club does a century a couple of times a year. It usually splits into three groups. The slower group is more sociable and takes more rest stops but still clips along well. When doing a century you can usually find a group that rides at a comfortable pace for you.

You'll enjoy your first century. Completing the first one is a badge of honor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to ride for about an hour at least 3 days during the week and then a long ride of 2-4 hours on the weekend. Same with your running. 3-4 miles at least 3 days during the week and then a long run on the weekend building to 12-14 miles after several months.

I remember my first century. I thought it was fun. I had been riding between 100-150 miles weekly but had never gone more than 60 at one time. I remember my second century too. I did it the day after my first century. Got a bit tired toward the end because of a very steep, long climb about mile 85.

The year I started biking lots I lost more than 50 pounds. I often think how much easier it is to go uphill without all that weight and how hard I must have worked.

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh ye of little faith. Looketh upon the "beginner's training" at Slowtwitch. Therein find the "not so beginner's training" section. Rideth at a pace you can talketh with nearly full breath. Returneth home before maximally tired. Resteth much, at least as much as you exerciseth. Once per week ride half as far but sprint short bursts between easy riding. 100 miles just looks like a big number. You will be fine.

I began riding a year after pneumonia almost killed me, just 2 minutes 2x per week. That was my limit. All I could do. (Walking by itself had not helped much.) Gradual progression from there. Took a year to get into good shape another to get into great shape. Started running after a few months of riding, probablly better if I had started running sooner.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should cut your losses and retire from the fitness scene.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to worry Mr. Tibbs!! You've got plenty of time to get ready for a century!

Speaking from my experience only (I'm no expert, as seen from my name), I would suggest that you slowly work up to a long ride of about 70-80 miles 2 weeks before the century ride. Just start with what you can do without killing yourself and work up from there. Increase the mileage each week (for 3 or 4 weeks and then do a recovery week) very gradually (no more than 5%-10% -- that's what the experts say). IMO, the long ride on the weekend is the most important part of the training. If you have the time, definitely ride both weekend days (I did several weekends nearer to the event where I rode 100+ miles in the 2 days -- maybe 60 & 40 or 70 & 30 or 65 & 45, etc.).

During the week, I wouldn't worry about miles as much as just riding -- I usually only had time to ride on the trainer for 45-minutes to 1-hour a couple times a week -- make these workouts some intervals or hill climbs, or you could also try a roadie group ride or spinning classes. These would be your speed-building workouts (I've heard they work, but for me .... again, my name says it all). With only a couple of bike workouts during the week you should have some time for your running. If your time is really limited, you could probably substitute some of the shorter bike sessions for some running. Once your century is but a mere memory you can turn your attention to building the mileage for that 1/2 marathon -- you should have plenty of time to prepare for that as well.

The things that were the toughest for me -- toughening up my butt/saddle comfort (finding a saddle, shorts, lube, standing frequently, etc.), hot spots/foot comfort (added thicker insole, adjusted cleats) and eating/drinking enough. If you've already got these things figured out you're home-free...

...you can do it!! Just get your ass in the saddle Mr. Tibbs!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 miles [way2slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to worry Mr. Tibbs!! You've got plenty of time to get ready for a century!
...you can do it!! Just get your ass in the saddle Mr. Tibbs!!!

Yes, I agree! Just f'ing ride. Getting your crotch in shape is the most important thing. The rest will fall into place. Mr. Tibbs on the road! WOO!!!!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply