Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Florianopolis 70.3 2020 - Race InfoNeeded
Quote | Reply
I just entered the Ironman Florianopolis 70.3 for 2020 and am interested to see if anyone has info about the race from last year, water conditions (surf/fog/etc.), and places to rent a bike on the island. I've seen horror stories about bikes not making it to the venue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Lane
Rohnert Park, CA
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Florianopolis 70.3 2020 - Race InfoNeeded [Jim.Lane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim.Lane wrote:
I just entered the Ironman Florianopolis 70.3 for 2020 and am interested to see if anyone has info about the race from last year, water conditions (surf/fog/etc.), and places to rent a bike on the island. I've seen horror stories about bikes not making it to the venue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, Jim.

It's a nice race, not as nice as the full IM, though.
The 70.3 is held at Praia dos Ingleses and the full is at Jurere. They are really close to each other, but Jurere is the "richest" beach on the island.

Water conditions are usually calm, eventually some surf but you shouldn't expect anything major.
99% chance it will be wetsuit legal for AGers. Hell, 100% even.

I would strongly suggest you bring your own bike. I've never heard of anyone renting bikes there, and even if you do find one, it's probably gonna be a very simples bike. You will definitely have a harder time finding a bike to rent than traveling with your own bike.
The bike is relatively flat, with some short hills. You can expect a fast bike.
The run is 100% flat.

IIRC it is held in April, around 1 month before the full IM, so conditions will probably be similar. You can expect cool to mild temperatures, having a hot day would be rare.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Florianopolis 70.3 2020 - Race InfoNeeded [Jim.Lane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've raced there last year and it's a nice and easy course, although it was a hot run.

I would say that you have no option then to bring you own bike. Don't think otherwise.
The problem you said about bikes not making to the venue happened last year for the IM Brazil. During that week happened a massive truck driver strike who basically stopped the country. A lot of people had sent their bikes by truck instead of flying them. That´s why. So don't worry.

There a lot of flats available at this beach so you can rent a nice one for an affordable price.

And If want want the files of the race just pm me.
Quote Reply