Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road wheelset recommendation...
Quote | Reply
Thank you to those who have helped me with titanium road bike recommendations. I finally settled with a Lynskey Helix Pro. Waiting for the frameset to arrive...super excited!!

I am looking for wheelset and have narrowed down to three options. It is rim brake.

1. Hed Ardennes Plus Black
2. Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST Clincher
3. Hed Jet 4 Plus Rim

What would you recommend pls? i have no experience with any of the three unfortunately.

thanx in advance again..
Quote Reply
Re: Road wheelset recommendation... [GHY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would add another one to the list: HED Jet 5+ for $800 from mybikeshop.com. Slightly more aero than the Jet 4+ and I believe a lot cheaper under this deal. I'm about to buy a set for a road bike that I'm building up (Specialized Allez Sprint).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! You'll love the ride!

I have had many pairs of both Hed and Mavic wheelsets over the years. The Hed's I've owned/used have always been very durable. I mostly had Mavic's on my road bike (Ksyrium and Cosmic) and like the way they feel and react to the road. I don't think you can wrong with any of your choices, so I'd say get what you like the most.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I abso-freakin-lutely love my HED Ardennes Black wheels. I bought them because I was amazed at braking performance of my Jet Black wheels on my TT bike. I chose the Ardennes because they were the lightest wide profile wheels I could find. And, I really loved the Black brake tracks.

The Ardennes replaced a set of very light performance wheels I had on the road bike before, so weight was a priority for me. I debated going with Jet 4 or Jet 5 wheels, but settled on the Ardennes because of the lower weight and all-around bomb-proof nature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED.

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big fan of your choices, never going below 21mm internal for a new wheelset if I can help it.

If you are considering the Ardennes, can also consider custom HED Belgium's which may be cheaper and can also be tailored to your planned use. My understanding is its the same rim as the Ardennes (regular brake track) but labeled as Belgium when sold/laced by a third party wheelbuilder (does have a slightly different sticker). I love my pair of Belgiums/DT350s 24/32. Bombproof monstertruck rim brake gravel training wheelset. Were a steal at coloradocyclist.com. https://www.coloradocyclist.com/...-road-bike-wheelsets.

Arrived perfectly true, there really is nothing like a hand-built custom wheelset if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option would be to go with the AForce AL33's built up with some nice White Industries hubs. Good compromise of a semi aero rim, wide internal, tubeless compatible, and external nipples for easy maintenance as compared to the HED Jet wheels which have internal nipples.

I've never used the Ardennes Black wheels, but their brake track is probably superior. If you want to do a lot of technical descending, and possibly in the wet, you might want to go with those, or the Jet 5 Blacks if you want to go deeper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the HED Ardennes on my Lynsky. I love them - durable, true, and comfortable. Not the lightest but they'll last forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another for HED Ardennes Black... unless you REALLY care about aero on a road bike which I never have; then Hed 4 or 5. But then you can't hang your wheels, water gets inside the fairing, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a set of Belgiums and a set of Belgium+ rims, both with Powertaps (the same as the Ardennes, just not built by Hed) that serve as my all purpose riding and training wheels. They are absolutely bombproof, handle well, weren't terribly expensive, and look good on almost any bike. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go this route.

I also have a set of Jet 4 and a set of Jet 6 wheels, also with Powertaps, which are great wheels as well, but (in my opinion) not as ideal for everyday wheels. As said, they're not as tolerant of rough handling, a LOT more expensive, and not as essential for use outside of racing, at least not to me.

No experience with the Mavics, but of the others, I'd highly recommend the Ardennes, unless you're racing on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only really good road wheels (not deep) I've bought are the HED Ardennes and I really like them.
Quote Reply