Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School Me on Aero-Bar Extensions
Quote | Reply
I have been out of triathlon for about three years and looking to get back into a few races this summer including a 70.3 race. Just for background, I'm a middle-of-the-pack 47 year old who has done one IM (Frankfurt 2015), one 70.3-distance (BerlinMan 2014) and a slew of Olys and Sprints. My tri bike is a 2014 Felt B14. The stock Felt F-Bend aero-bar extensions have never been particularly comfortable for me in my wrists and I am looking to replace them. I'm currently considering the Profile Design 35a, 50a, or 4525a extensions and am looking for feedback from the group. At this point in my triathlon journey, I value a comfortable ride over speed. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Aero-Bar Extensions [Snapper10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO, extensions are mostly a comfort thing. I didn’t like my Felt extensions either. I got Profile Carbon T1 extensions because I like high hands. I also run about 10° of tilt.
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Aero-Bar Extensions [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finding right aero bars are tricky because they are not something you can easily install on your bike and try. I went to a local bike store that carries a lot of Tri bikes and tried aero position grabbing the bars. I didn’t get on the saddle, just by standing side of the bike. I ended up buying Devox aero bars that were new take off from Felt IA. It’s short, light and bend was perfect for me. Before that I tried Profile Design T4 which came with my bike and T2 Carbon. I didn’t like both.
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Aero-Bar Extensions [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s only asking about extensions; they are super easy to swap out and try lots of different varieties. Personally, I have probably tried just about every major variation in the marketplace. It’s really a personal choice what you prefer.
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Aero-Bar Extensions [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant having access to all the different extensions. You can’t buy all those and try. Go to a bike store and see what you like. Ski bend, s bend, f bend are there and definitely I didn’t like ski bend.
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Aero-Bar Extensions [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
You can’t buy all those and try.

Why not? That’s exactly what I have done. Alloy extensions are quite inexpensive and you can buy used and resell the ones you don’t want.
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Aero-Bar Extensions [Snapper10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take your extension out and put the bike on the trainer. Get on the bike with your arms on the pad and Then use something like a metal coat hanger to figure out the shape that will put your hands in a relaxed position. Then either measure the angles and find the after market bar that is closest or get a tubing bender and make your own.

I have bent up some really weird bars, but they are much more comfortable than what I can buy.
Quote Reply