Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
eye3md wrote:
I'm not going to read every response on this thread because it looks like there's a fair amount of bantering back and forth. But, isn't the reason these 400 wealthiest pay such low taxes is because most of it is taxed at the capital gains rate and not the federal income tax rate??? I'm not stating this as fact. I'm asking hoping someone can enlighten me

BINGO!!! I've argued this for years, especially when the Donkeys keep pushing for higher income tax rates. It's bullshit. For the vast, vast, vast majority of us, our "wealth" comes from our salaries. But, the truly wealthy obtain wealth from sources other than income. Team Donkey continues to ignore this and focuses primarily on payroll income tax rates. Foolish.

So, do the wealthiest really pay a lower tax rate than the rest of us? Not really. It's apples to oranges. On their payroll income, they pay significant higher tax rates than the rest of us. But, most of their "income" comes from other sources.

Bingo! This is bullshit. The fact that the rich earn income in a different way doesnt excuse this fact.

There are 12.8 million children living in poverty and here you are defending the capital gains tax rate....
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:

windywave wrote:
Heaven forbid only a quarter of their income went to taxes.

How many if those people now live in low(er) tax states? (Notice how your comrade had to group federal state and local taxes to get the desired narrative?)

And how many people have ever worked for a poor person? Those evil rich people that provide jobs.

I work for poor people. We all work for poor people. Consumer spending drives the entire economy (70+%). Very few of us don't work for poor people.
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But, the truly wealthy obtain wealth from sources other than income. Team Donkey continues to ignore this and focuses primarily on payroll income tax rates. Foolish.

Agreed. I am far more interested in effective rates and closing down the most common loopholes, rather than hypothetical marginal rates. I am also interested in the entire picture, which includes asset appreciation in lieu of income (the dreaded "wealth tax"). I am not on any "team", but I would guess that folks think that understanding all of the intricacies of the tax code is too difficult, so they fixate on raising already high marginal rates, which merely creates more incentive for tax avoidance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poor Barry the man-pussy is just minding his own bidness and you gotta get all stalky/troll on him
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [JacobB1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JacobB1111 wrote:
JSA wrote:
eye3md wrote:
I'm not going to read every response on this thread because it looks like there's a fair amount of bantering back and forth. But, isn't the reason these 400 wealthiest pay such low taxes is because most of it is taxed at the capital gains rate and not the federal income tax rate??? I'm not stating this as fact. I'm asking hoping someone can enlighten me

BINGO!!! I've argued this for years, especially when the Donkeys keep pushing for higher income tax rates. It's bullshit. For the vast, vast, vast majority of us, our "wealth" comes from our salaries. But, the truly wealthy obtain wealth from sources other than income. Team Donkey continues to ignore this and focuses primarily on payroll income tax rates. Foolish.

So, do the wealthiest really pay a lower tax rate than the rest of us? Not really. It's apples to oranges. On their payroll income, they pay significant higher tax rates than the rest of us. But, most of their "income" comes from other sources.

Bingo! This is bullshit. The fact that the rich earn income in a different way doesnt excuse this fact.

There are 12.8 million children living in poverty and here you are defending the capital gains tax rate....

Is English your second language? Serious question.

I have never defended capital gains tax rates and I am not doing so here. In fact, I have gotten into multiple arguments - the last one with Slowman - regarding payroll income tax rates vs. capital gains tax rates and why raising payroll income tax is not the answer.

I need you to go back and read the section I have highlighted above and try, with a straight face, to support your foolish assertion that I am defending the capital gains tax rate.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
JSA wrote:
eye3md wrote:

I have never defended capital gains tax rates and I am not doing so here. In fact, I have gotten into multiple arguments - the last one with Slowman - regarding payroll income tax rates vs. capital gains tax rates and why raising payroll income tax is not the answer.

I need you to go back and read the section I have highlighted above and try, with a straight face, to support your foolish assertion that I am defending the capital gains tax rate.

I'm sorry, I thought you were explaining why the status quo is acceptable. I agree, let's raise the capital gains tax rate.
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [JacobB1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JacobB1111 wrote:
JSA wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
JSA wrote:
eye3md wrote:

I'm sorry, I thought you were explaining why the status quo is acceptable. I agree, let's raise the capital gains tax rate.

Yep, we are on the same page now!

I don't think it is "right" that the rich pay a lower overall tax rate than "the rest of us." But, it is important to realize why this happens. I agree with oldandslow that it seems the "easy" and/or knee jerk reaction is to simply look at the tax brackets and argue for adjusting them. But, that doesn't really address the disparity and, in the end, hurts the people who have to rely primarily (or solely) on their payroll salaries to build wealth because those are not the people who really have "the wealth."

Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And how many people have ever worked for a poor person? Those evil rich people that provide jobs.

I got my job before the tax code changed. Go figure.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JacobB1111 wrote:
JSA wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
JSA wrote:
eye3md wrote:

Instead of raising capital gains tax rates, let's tax every dollar of income, from whatever source, at the same rate. And everyone pays whatever the rate is ultimately determined to be. Then we can eliminate all deductions, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Pound Sand wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
JSA wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
JSA wrote:
eye3md wrote:

Instead of raising capital gains tax rates, let's tax every dollar of income, from whatever source, at the same rate. And everyone pays whatever the rate is ultimately determined to be. Then we can eliminate all deductions, etc.

Why punish capital formation and income creation?
Tax consumption. Who cares how much wealth you have or income you have if you aren't spending it on limited resources that others might use?
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A consumption tax would be an excellant alternative worth considering. I prefer a tax system that requires everyone to pay the same %. The idea that half the country doesn't pay income tax is offensive
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
Poor Barry the man-pussy is just minding his own bidness and you gotta get all stalky/troll on him

You seem to be a very angry person.

Thank you for your valuable contributions.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
ironmayb wrote:

You seem to be a very angry person.

Thank you for your valuable contributions.

No thank you for your one line responses and your work out plans.

Valuable additions here.

Oh and the irrelevant Canada thing... nice touch.
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't even realize the two had commented until you quoted it.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Or just more Fake News?

Quote:
For the first time on record, the 400 wealthiest Americans last year paid a lower total tax rate — spanning federal, state and local taxes — than any other income group, according to newly released data.

Since then, taxes that hit the wealthiest the hardest — like the estate tax and corporate tax — have plummeted, while tax avoidance has become more common.

President Trump’s 2017 tax cut, which was largely a handout to the rich, plays a role, too. It helped push the tax rate on the 400 wealthiest households below the rates for almost everyone else.

The overall tax rate on the richest 400 households last year was only 23 percent, meaning that their combined tax payments equaled less than one quarter of their total income. This overall rate was 70 percent in 1950 and 47 percent in 1980.

For middle-class and poor families, the picture is different. Federal income taxes have also declined modestly for these families, but they haven’t benefited much if at all from the decline in the corporate tax or estate tax. And they now pay more in payroll taxes (which finance Medicare and Social Security) than in the past. Over all, their taxes have remained fairly flat.

The combined result is that over the last 75 years the United States tax system has become radically less progressive.

So these guys have used innovative ways to define tax burdens that would impress Enron.

The treatment of corporate taxes and the earned income credit is especially impressive

TL;DR the numbers are a farce

No don't have a link I read it at work.
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Or just more Fake News?

Quote:
For the first time on record, the 400 wealthiest Americans last year paid a lower total tax rate — spanning federal, state and local taxes — than any other income group, according to newly released data.

Since then, taxes that hit the wealthiest the hardest — like the estate tax and corporate tax — have plummeted, while tax avoidance has become more common.

President Trump’s 2017 tax cut, which was largely a handout to the rich, plays a role, too. It helped push the tax rate on the 400 wealthiest households below the rates for almost everyone else.

The overall tax rate on the richest 400 households last year was only 23 percent, meaning that their combined tax payments equaled less than one quarter of their total income. This overall rate was 70 percent in 1950 and 47 percent in 1980.

For middle-class and poor families, the picture is different. Federal income taxes have also declined modestly for these families, but they haven’t benefited much if at all from the decline in the corporate tax or estate tax. And they now pay more in payroll taxes (which finance Medicare and Social Security) than in the past. Over all, their taxes have remained fairly flat.

The combined result is that over the last 75 years the United States tax system has become radically less progressive.

Given that nearly all of our Congress critters are millionaires from their $143K-$200K salaries, is it any mystery who wrote the tax laws that made this storyline?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Or just more Fake News?

Quote:

The data is in: more fake news.
Quote Reply
Re: For the first time ever, the ultra-rich pay a lower tax rate than you and I. Thanks, Trump! [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are many loopholes that need to be closed.

QSBS if you meet certain conditions you do not pay any tax on the sale. Venture capital distributes all kinds of stock that is subject to qualified small business stock rules that are now billion dollar companies. You get to sell $10 million without any Federal capital gain tax. CA excludes 50% of the gain.

Carried interest is another great tax avoidance area for GPs of venture capital firms.

Opportunity zones is another great Fed program that you can defer or avoid capital gains. Places that are under-invested, like the land near the Boulder airport, is an opportunity zone. Unbelievable

Grantor Retained Annuity Trust - easy way to transfer assets to your children and not be subject to estate taxes

Vacation homes - put it in a trust and not subject to estate taxes. Almost every client I have with a second home has placed them in a trust to pass to their children estate tax free.

I could list another 10 ways to avoid taxes and that is a drop in the bucket.

Warren and others can raise taxes all they want but at the end of the day, I doubt the rich will be paying more than what they pay today. Qualified dividend income will likely go higher but not by much.
Quote Reply

Prev Next