Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vasa trainer [karmatraining] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know if this can be done on a Suunto 9?
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa trainer [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should work with any ANT+ compatible watch/device/software. Here's an FAQ that may be of help:

https://vasatrainer.com/faqs/power-meters-ant/
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa trainer [bellau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents.

I have been struggling with swim for years, mainly because I am a very late comer to swimming. Also because of my schedule I would get to the pool 2-3 times per week max. In any case, I was stuck on roughly 1:45 min/100y pace for 3 years or so.

Last year I bought a Vasa ERG on CL from some guy who decided that he wanted to be a pro downhill biker. I started swimming on Vasa 3 days a week and going to the pool 1x a week to maintain the feel for water. At this point I am down to about 1:33 mins/100 yards as my cruise pace without kicking and my all out best pace is close to 1:18 min/100 yards. I know that it's far from being anywhere close to impressive, but I am seeing a steady improvement.

My workouts on Vasa are pretty straightforward. 500 yards w/u door 1, and then it's either a descent like 300/250/200/150/100/50 from door 2 to door 7 repeated 2x or 3x or 100s on door2/3/4/5 in blocks of 4.

I think that Vasa helps those who are time crunched or need work on the stroke mechanics. I wish that there was a way to capture the data from their computer, but that's kind of my only gripe.

By the way, Vasa is totally modular and if any part fails you can easily replace it using very basic tools. Their support is very helpful, although they are clearly a small team and things sometimes take time to turn around. Overall, this is probably my 2nd favorite training toy behind Kickr Snap.

Hope this helps.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa trainer [karmatraining] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karmatraining wrote:
I would love the Swim Erg v2 have a Bluetooth chip in addition to the ANT+ as well as an app (iOS or Garmin IQ) that allows for it to be uploaded as a swim workout.
This is pretty much pointless until Vasa / Dynastream / Garmin Canada create a profile for indoor swim workouts and then have the various platforms
(Garmin Connect / Strava / TrainingPeaks / …) support the new data for proper display (cadence/pace/power with expected units.) Without this support, any iOS / Android / IQ app would just be another kludge, like the current bike profile re-purposing.

Given the number of indoor workout profiles already present in the ANT spec (cycling / rowing / skiing / walking / running), it's baffling that there are still only two swim types (open water / pool.) Heck, even diving has twice as many sub-types defined in the spec (single gas / multi-gas / gauge / apnea.)
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa trainer [bradsinnerfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did he buy the Vasa ‘trainer’ or the ‘ergo meter’?

Thanks,
Tubs
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa trainer [Tubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has the Swim ERG with power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa trainer [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
karmatraining wrote:
I would love the Swim Erg v2 have a Bluetooth chip in addition to the ANT+ as well as an app (iOS or Garmin IQ) that allows for it to be uploaded as a swim workout.
This is pretty much pointless until Vasa / Dynastream / Garmin Canada create a profile for indoor swim workouts and then have the various platforms
(Garmin Connect / Strava / TrainingPeaks / …) support the new data for proper display (cadence/pace/power with expected units.) Without this support, any iOS / Android / IQ app would just be another kludge, like the current bike profile re-purposing.

Given the number of indoor workout profiles already present in the ANT spec (cycling / rowing / skiing / walking / running), it's baffling that there are still only two swim types (open water / pool.) Heck, even diving has twice as many sub-types defined in the spec (single gas / multi-gas / gauge / apnea.)

It’s not on Garmin to develop the new profile for such a small market sector. Vasa could pay up to join the ANT+ Alliance as a commercial developer and propose an indoor swim profile. I’m afraid there just isn’t a lot of technical development from this company. Workout libraries have never materialized with the erg on the market for years. Most knowledge of the erg seems to crop up here on ST from other users.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa trainer [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey folks, I know this is an old thread, but, does anyone use the non-erg version - the vasa trainer pro?

Is there much benefit to that one, compared to just using stretch cordz?
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa trainer [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an original visa-trainer (no erg).. I use it in the winter for short technique focused sessions and also use it for some functional strength training. As I have the old version, I guess I don't know what I am missing with the erg model:)
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa trainer [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you ever get an answer to your question? I just picked up the trainer pro for $150, and plan to start using to supplement 1 swim/week with 2 in the pool. Not a ton of resources for specific workouts on it, but it will be far and away better than the swim bands I was using and just bending at the waist.

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa trainer [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing really specific. I've used mine a few times, but I also purchased a leverage gym that I like using a lot too, including lat/back exercises, so use that instead of the vasa a lot of the time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next