Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ABQ Tri Scene?
Quote | Reply
Currently have an application in (might pull it) for a gig in Albuquerque. Before you ask why, it's an opportunity to get promoted.

So inquiring minds want to know... what's the tri scene like out there? Are there good/active clubs? Any decent local sprint/Oly races, or half-distance within a reasonable drive? I know the Denver area is a reasonable drive for a half, but I won't do Boulder 70.3.

I've been very lucky to have access to a good club and good races in NC, and a good club in Louisville, so contemplating how some aspects of the away-from-work life would stack up.
Quote Reply
Re: ABQ Tri Scene? [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been in Albuquerque for 2 years now and will be here at least through May 2020. It's a mixed bag though mostly good!

First the bad-

The local race scene is mediocre at best. We've got 3-4 local sprints/olympics but all but most of them are pool swims and not ideal courses. The closest half is Mountain Man in Flagstaff which is almost a 5 hour drive. My wife and I consider that an easy "local" trip at this point. Since we've lived here we have driven: 14 hours to Galveston to race, 11 hours to Indian Wells to race, 8 hours to Las Vegas for an olympic, and 7.5 hours to Lake Havasu, AZ for an olympic. We're driving 10 hours to Waco this weekend. This has just become normal so save money on flights and bike transportation.

A lot could be said about the crime but it is what it is. We've had our car broken into twice so far.

The good-

There are a few clubs in town. One mostly social club with probably 30-50 active members. 3-4 events a week though mostly targeted at more casual triathletes. A new one called WattsUp that has both an elite and non-elite group. This is more performance oriented. And then there are a few good running clubs and lots of cycling clubs around as well. You can absolutely find people to train with. I'll ride in the mountains with friends on the weekends but I do 90% of my rides on the trainer because drivers suck and its not worth it. Plenty of people who do all their riding outside though. The running is fantastic, whether down on the river or around the decent number of parks in the city. There is also a fantastic trail system in the foothills if thats your thing.

It's also cheap, which you probably knew. We pay $850 a month for ~1000sqft right next to the University. You could pay even less if you wanted to.

I'd be happy to answer more questions if you have any follow up!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: ABQ Tri Scene? [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I just purchased a house in Las Cruces which is only 220 miles away. By me moving to New Mexico from Texas I increased the triathlete population from 2 to 3!

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: ABQ Tri Scene? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is another triathlete in LC? Amazing, lol.

To the OP:
Traffic in NM sucks, ride at your own peril.
Your car probably will get stolen in ABQ ;)
There is a nice tri-club in Los Alamos, and I heard good things about Wattsup as well.
It will take a little bit to get use to the "high desert" weather but you'll get over it, you can easily ride outside 300+ days out of the year if you are brave.
Quote Reply
Re: ABQ Tri Scene? [DaniD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I am not there yet so the triathlete population in Las Cruces is still one.

But I understand El Paso has a decent triathlon club.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: ABQ Tri Scene? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea, sorry. El Paso does have some nice sprint races, a lot of people from Juarez comes over to race.
Quote Reply
Re: ABQ Tri Scene? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please tell me one of the races is called HeisenbergMan!!
Quote Reply