Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

use c2 ergometer w/o hurting back, form tips?
Quote | Reply
I have access to a rowing ergometer at work and it seems like a perfect lunchtime workout that will help me get ready for xc ski season.

I have watched a lot of videos, but I'm still getting a little low back pain which would suggest I'm doing something wrong with the drive. My hips are pretty tight, so I can only slide so far forward. My heels are set pretty low (i'm 6 feet tall).

Are there some drills or things to think about that would help me? I have been rowing on level 1 and trying to get the force curve to move to the left. On my erg, I need to go all the way to 7 to get a drag of 140, will more drag cause me more issues if my form is poor? My stroke rate for steady work is mid 20's with a speed seldom faster than 2 mins/500, so no calls from the national team as yet.
Quote Reply
Re: use c2 ergometer w/o hurting back, form tips? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drag of 140 is way to much if you are beginner. That could be pretty much the cause of the pain. 2 mins/500 is also not that slow. It seems to me you are pushing too much.
You should also take a video of yourself rowing (maybe from couple of angels) and see if it is good - similar to technique videos you are watching.
Quote Reply
Re: use c2 ergometer w/o hurting back, form tips? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really hard to give advice without some kind of video. Does the pain happen in a particular part of the stroke?

The inability to slide "so far forward" - what does that mean? The ideal forward position is with the shins vertical. Don't try to go farther than that. Ideally you'd have the shoulders forward of the hips in that position.
Quote Reply
Re: use c2 ergometer w/o hurting back, form tips? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will ask someone to take a video of me at the gym
Quote Reply