Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Archilles heel...
Quote | Reply
OK. Finally got myself fit enough for sprints. 6th 1km sprint in and... A weird stabbing pain came in at the back below my calf, but then went away after 400m. So I finished.

Rested. Went to go for number 7 and whoah doggy. No way.

Now its 2 days later and yet again, I've had to miss my two long sessions

Im 8 weeks out from 70.3 taupo

How long should I rest? Any hacks other than ice?
Quote Reply
Re: Archilles heel... [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you got any way of getting a medical assessment or even a scan? Without that you have to go by how you feel.

The trouble with icing is that you slow the blood flow down and injuries need blood flow to heal. So you don't want to do that for too long. Obviously it has it's place and if the injury is swollen or painful then don't stop because of what this. But maybe, if you can't see a professional, read an online diagnostic of when to use cold, heat or contrast therapy.

At some stage contrasting warm/cold might be better because of the blood flow. At that stage I've also tried air writing the alphabet with my toes so there is some movement and blood flow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to do eccentric heel drops. Both straight and bent legged. 30 reps 3x/day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a decent amount of evidence that suggests concentric and eccentric loading exercises will help with achilles tendinopathy, if that is what you have. This article is a good place to start. I also agree with the poster above about the ice. Ice will help with pain, but it slows healing and pain isn't your problem. Pain is the result of the problem. Proper loading protocols will treat the problem a lot of the time. Good luck.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Archilles heel... [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the trick here is knowing what the injury is and at what stage. A lot of Achilles issues are gradual onset as the tendon weakens through not enough recovery/blood flow and too much exercise damage. I can't read enough in the OP's post to know if this is a sudden (hopefully small) tear or the moment gradual degeneration shows up as symptoms. The exercises are absolutely the right thing to do for classic Achilles tendon issues the only question I'd have is could this be too early to do that if it is a tear? Which is why I'd be looking for a diagnosis.
Quote Reply
Re: Archilles heel... [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. Ill try the reps and I haven't used ice yet.. Just presumed that's what you are meant to do

Day 4 and I can walk. Will cycle today in gym and leave running for the rest of the week
Quote Reply