Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brake & Derailleur cable/housing sets? What's good?
Quote | Reply
Going to attempt to install new brake and gear cables on my TCR2 but not sure which ones to go with. I've never done it before but I looked over the Parktool site so I think I have the basics down.

Nashbar brand - $6.00

Dura Ace - $24.00 Le Tour - $26.00 - comes in YELLOW :)

Nokon Alumimun - $105.00

The newest trendy Nokon's are out of the question. Dura Ace seems to be a safe bet but the yellow Le Tour will look MUCH better than the grey DA. Nashbar just seems to damn cheap. Any other recommendations out there? And do you really need the special cable cutters or will wire cutters or a razor blade work ok? I really don't want to put out an extra $30 for a Park Tool cutter that I'll use maybe once a year.

~ A penny saved is a government oversight.
Quote Reply
Re: Brake & Derailleur cable/housing sets? What's good? [TCR2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"And do you really need the special cable cutters or will wire cutters or a razor blade work ok?"

YES! You will need proper cable cutters... Been there before... If you look at the Park cutters the tips are bent inwards to keep all the cables together. I have all the tools to build up my own bikes and have some cheaper imitation tools too, but when it comes to cable cutters you cannot beat the Park ones. Cables is also a part that you can replace more often (inners) so IMO a good investment.

With regards to you cables, I will go for the DA. But only if you have the DA group. The color is just your choice though.

=====================================
For one who has no objective, nothing is relevant. (Confucius)
=====================================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you need real cable cutters. Don't do this at home without them.

I have been using the Nashbar brand for a few years. I bought a bunch of them and I just reach into the drawer whenever the need arises. They work fine, but I am not convinced they are particularly good. I had to replace every single cable and housing after the IM Lake Placid monsoon last year. Frankly, that seemed very odd and makes me wonder.

I am not sure what I will do next time around. I am definitely in the market for a better product. I hope your thread prompts some glowing endorsements about Nokon or some other product.

Wied in Florida,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a cheaper version of the Nokon type cables/housings, though the brand name escapes me at the moment. I put the Nokon cables on my newest TT bike only for the novelty and because I had extra $$ from an insurance settlement. However, I can honestly say that these cables are far and away the best cables I've ever used. Shifting is significantly enhanced. Braking seems smoother and capable of finer modulation, especially with non-sprung levers like the Dia-Compe 188s or the levers on my Hed aerobars. Are they worth the extra $$?. . .I just have to say that they aren't necessary. DA housings with upgraded teflon coated cables are not too expensive and provide solid performance, with no risk of cables freezing up from moisture. Teflon coated cables are probably the best upgrade for cables in the cost to performance category. Stay away from cheap cables and housings. Ask yourself if the small amount of $$ saved is worth it when you are heading downhill at 50mph and coming up on a hairpin turn. . .
Quote Reply
How much? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a general idea how much it would cost to set a tri-bike up with Nokon? I'm talking all the cables! I run Dura-Ace with Syntace brake levers on my aerobars on my Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've done a lot of work with cables including Nokon, Gore, other brands of "slick" cables as well as Shimano and Campagnolo. We make a darn sight more money selling Nokon cables but all the mechanics suddenly have to go to the bathroom or go to lunch when we have to install them. It is a tedious installation.

Based on pretty extensive work with all of them I would recommend just using the manufacturer's cable sets- be it the appropriate Campagnolo or Shimano. In particular, Shimano SLR brake cables are excellent as is their drivetrain cable Shimano SIS SP. If they are cut to length precisely and then fluted and ground at thir cuts you won't find better cable and housing performance IMO.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the Nashbar ones on a Schwinn Continental, they worked fine. For my other bikes, I bought 25ft of Shimano cable housing ($12.95, comes in several colors including yellow) and a bunch of QBP cables ($3.95 ea) from Sheldon Brown,
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#cables

This is cheaper than the housing sets, and I've been very happy with the quality. I use the Nashbar el cheapo cable cutters, they are OK, but not much of an improvement over wire cutters. Put a toothpick or similar in the cable before cutting, it helps prevent crushing.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't possibly imagine spending $100USD on cable housing. Perhaps if I were a top AG contender, or wanted the mental edge for a Kona atempt. I buy my cables from the local roadie shop, and they hook me up with Shimano in whatever colour I want. I could go for Campy, but the current ride is low-end spec Shimano anyway.

I did spring for a sick set of cutters, however. (Actually my gf bought them for me ) I had first purchased a set of the Park ones (they have 2 models, I went for the better) and was not happy with them. Then I posted here and got recommendations for just about everything I've ever heard of, and many I hadn't. Finally, I remembered that Dan once wrote an article on tools, and went with his recommendation on the best of the best - Felco. I've found that good cutters make a huge difference, and also picked up a tip (from this forum) to heat up the cable with a match/lighter at the point of the cut for a few seconds before making the cut. Then I take a Dremel tool to the ends a la Demerly to finish off the job.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Brake & Derailleur cable/housing sets? What's good? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other company that makes housing like the Nokon is put out by Interloc Racing. Their site is at www.interlocracing.com

Neil
Quote Reply