Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [GeorgeCarlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, WTC does have that rep, which is why I was thinking that the earlier suggestion by someone else that Bend was a possibility actually made a lot of sense. I think that because they have not been able to kill the awesome Pacific Crest triathlon with CdA, but if they were to put an even in Bend in June, that would certainly kill it (or even just buy WHY racing out of it, or license as they do with Maine).

However, I have to say your information is much more plausible since Seattle would be close enough to grab the Vancouver crowd and Bend may be too far for most Canadians. As for those that are hoping for Tahoe, I have to say I would bet a damn big amount against that given that the June time frame for these rotational races would make Tahoe too susceptible to weather events, particularly snow. Remember this rotational deal includes this being the NA champs which have to held in June to allow for mass amounts of Kona slots for pros.

I can't believe any rumor I hear but a username of CDAtri makes me believe that person heard that straight from the horse's mouth. So there goes my original bet for Boulder :(

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Interesting. That would put a 70.3 at the same time as the Black Diamond tri which has a half distance and is just 20 minutes away. I did that race a few years back. The roads are so smooth in that area, felt like I gained a mph from less rolling resistance

From what I understand they will move Black Diamond to earlier in the year so that it doesn’t conflict with the Ironman race. (Which is good... we all love the BD race and want it to stick around!) Years ago they did Black Diamond twice a year, spring and fall (they named the spring race something different, but they were both put on by AA.) Deep Lake can be a little chilly in the spring but it was manageable.

Quote | Reply
GeorgeCarlin wrote:
Just to add to the speculation. The city I live in (PNW - Maple Valley, WA) is currently negotiating a contract with Ironman. Current status has a 70.3 taking place Sept 2020, which would align with it being a 140.6 in 2022 after two 70.3 races (similar to STG and CDA). I know Ironman has looked at our city for a 140.6 race in the past based on city reports from our city manager. Or they have at least scouted the area for a potential race...

I hope it is true...

https://www.maplevalleywa.gov/...ervices/city-manager

Do any of the PDFs in that link mention negotiations with Ironman?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
October 14, 2019 update, bottom of page 6 and top of page 7
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
IM cancelled Lake Tahoe due to weather being very difficult to deal with as not only could the weather be one extreme or the other but also the race was always going to be threatened by the horrible California wildfires.

Agree. Consistent and reliable weather has to be a cornerstone for any championship venue. Boulder has that in spades with never a delay or cancellation in 6 years. Also like Cda and StG, Boulder has a proven course and track record hosting unlike a new venue or one where they simply double an existing 70.3 course. My feeling is for Boulder but that contradicts the PNW rumor which is nothing more than just a rumor at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [driftin'by] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
driftin'by wrote:
BGildenstern wrote:
IM cancelled Lake Tahoe due to weather being very difficult to deal with as not only could the weather be one extreme or the other but also the race was always going to be threatened by the horrible California wildfires.

. My feeling is for Boulder but that contradicts the PNW rumor which is nothing more than just a rumor at this point.

The officials from CDA that are negotiating with Ironman have stated they have been told that the 3rd race will also be in PNW, so that would suggest it is not just a rumor.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
gary p wrote:
Couldn't the eastern 4/5ths of the continent get a little love at least once every three years?

Well Ironman did announce a new yearly race in Tulsa just 6 months ago. Keeping all three venues in the rotating ‘series’ in the Western half of the continent makes sense when you look at the current lineup. Using Lebanon, KS as the spit from east to west...

Western NA 4 races per year
Penticton
Santa Rosa
Arizona
St George/Coeur D Alene/???

Eastern NA 10 races per year
Texas
Tulsa
Louisville
Chattanooga
Maryland
Florida
Lake Placid
Wisconsin
Mont Tremblant
Cozumel

I have no problem with a 4th western race rotating through the NW USA/SW Canada. I misunderstood this to be a "3 year rotation" of the North American Championship.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 17, 19 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [chrisrpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing a little more digging, it appears Maple Valley has been under consideration for nearly two years:

February 12, 2018 update
Laura Philpot, City Manager (p. 4) - Meeting Regarding Hosting Ironman Triathlon in Maple Valley in 2019
Tourism Development (p. 7) - Met with Alex Bennet (Ironman) to discuss logistics of hosting an Ironman Triathlon in Maple Valley in 2019

May 14, 2018 minutes
Roll call (p. 1) - Mayor Kelly congratulated City Manager Laura Philpot on her completion of her fifth Ironman, Ironman Santa Rosa on Saturday, May 12, 2018.
Report of the City Manager (p. 2) - City Manager Laura Philpot addressed the... Met with Ironman staff in Santa Rosa to discuss bringing to Maple Valley

She can do it all: Family, city and triathlon - Renton Reporter, May 25, 2018

Quote:
. . . Now, Philpot and the city of Maple Valley are trying to get Ironman to come to town.
She said the Ironman Company want to put a competition in Washington or Oregon in the near future, so “Why not Maple Valley,” Philpot explained.
Maple Valley is trying to partner with Renton. Philpot said Renton seems very supportive, but nothing has been finalized yet. The reasoning to partner with Renton is because it has all of the hotels.. . .
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [chrisrpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did a third full IM in the rotation ever get announced?
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread with the same question. This trail ran cold, hopefully someone has some information.
Quote Reply

Prev Next