Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brownlee comments from Kona [ChDoyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChDoyle wrote:
With Alistairs level of Iron distance development he had 'no business' being with the front group on the bike. He most probably over cooked it. It would be interesting to see his average power in Kona compared to Cork where he had no one to 'follow' and no one really pushing him. It was just him doing enough to run well after the bike.

But he is an uber competitor and would not back down on the challenge of staying with TO and Frodeno.

I didn't see the first portion of the bike, but I read AB flogged it up Palani road trying to put some distance between him and Lange and co, then rode for however long with a semi-flat, then flogged himself catching back up to Frodo and TOD. That's why I tuned in. I could see the exertion on his face early on in the bike, so I guess those 3 things largely contributed to his "average" performance. He still did fine. I think if he'd relaxed early on in the bike, not got a flat he would have gone better, but perhaps no better than 10th. There was a stark contrast between Frodo and AB on the bike, Frodo looked like he was on a coffee ride, AB looked like he was doing a sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee comments from Kona [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
ChDoyle wrote:
With Alistairs level of Iron distance development he had 'no business' being with the front group on the bike. He most probably over cooked it. It would be interesting to see his average power in Kona compared to Cork where he had no one to 'follow' and no one really pushing him. It was just him doing enough to run well after the bike.

But he is an uber competitor and would not back down on the challenge of staying with TO and Frodeno.

I didn't see the first portion of the bike, but I read AB flogged it up Palani road trying to put some distance between him and Lange and co, then rode for however long with a semi-flat, then flogged himself catching back up to Frodo and TOD. That's why I tuned in. I could see the exertion on his face early on in the bike, so I guess those 3 things largely contributed to his "average" performance. He still did fine. I think if he'd relaxed early on in the bike, not got a flat he would have gone better, but perhaps no better than 10th. There was a stark contrast between Frodo and AB on the bike, Frodo looked like he was on a coffee ride, AB looked like he was doing a sprint.

There were times AB rode like his hair was on fire, but overall I also saw a lot of sitting in. Of course we can't really say he did or didn't over cook it cus, of course he over cooked it with the flat and the issue with that. So we cant really draw a lot of conclusions. AB had the flat very very early on, Frodo even asked AB if it was good.

And while we wont know how hard they truly rode, 2 of those 3 ran off the bike like they owned the race, so I dont know "how hard" it really was. I think Frodo made a really hard dig with what 30-40km to go and gapped everyone kinda by surprise. Sebi said he was thinking the gap at T2 was going to be 90s, next they know it was 4:30....their race was over.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee comments from Kona [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ivantriker wrote:
to win an ITU race you have to lead the race from the swim to the finish line.

to win an Ironman you have to finish the first.
If P.Lange will try to lead the bike, he would never won 2x IM Kona, and he would never got the IM Kona record.

You can do a slower bike to save energy for the run if you are the best and it could work.. but if you burnt in the bike you will never win Kona.

How many times in the last two years has someone been first out of the water and also won the race? Serious question.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Last edited by: domingjm: Oct 16, 19 20:57
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee comments from Kona [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
ivantriker wrote:

If P.Lange will try to lead the bike, he would never won 2x IM Kona, and he would never got the IM Kona record.

You can do a slower bike to save energy for the run if you are the best and it could work.. but if you burnt in the bike you will never win Kona.

How many times in the last two years has someone been first out of the water and also won the race? Serious question.

2005 Faris Al Sultan
2006 Michellie Jones

I think that's it for all time at least post 1985 I cannot think of anyone who exited the water first and took the win.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee comments from Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
domingjm wrote:
ivantriker wrote:

2005 Faris Al Sultan
2006 Michellie Jones

I think that's it for all time at least post 1985 I cannot think of anyone who exited the water first and took the win.

ivantriker was referencing ITU results. It's similarly uncommon and another example of people making statements without knowing what the fuck they're talking about. So annoying.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee comments from Kona [ChDoyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he brings a hat next year, watch out.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee comments from Kona [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus, also in ITU, it is also a good recipe to NOT win :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee comments from Kona [fruit thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fruit thief wrote:

I buy this, plus a white helmet :)

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee comments from Kona [fruit thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fruit thief wrote:

Only if he turns it backwards.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee comments from Kona [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
ChDoyle wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:
I think he did pretty good for his first full distance triathlon

Now he can go and get that M-Dot tattoo.

I’m sure he won’t!
Quote Reply

Prev Next