Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [johnny_5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnny_5 wrote:
Great info! Who did you use for the bike rental do you mind me asking? Did they deliver to race site or did you have pick, setup bike etc? .

It was through France Bike Rentals (FBR). Ironman advertised them as the official bike rental company. I simply picked up the bikes from the Athletes village on the Wednesday and dropped them back after the race. We supplied all our measurements (from our current bikes) beforehand and they set up the bike accordingly. I got them to make a minor adjustment after a test ride. Could have hired them cheaper from elsewhere, but have no regrets in paying a little extra.

Bikes themselves were great and in excellent condition. We brought along our own pedals (one of the advantages of having power meter pedals), but they could supply them if you wanted.

Unlikely that France Bike Rentals will be in Taupo New Zealand. But I expect Ironman will organise a similar deal with another bike rental company.

Also worth noting that Nice has a very hilly bike course and we hired road bikes (Pinarello Dogma F10 with disc brakes and clipon aero bars). I've hired road bikes several times before and never had any fit issues. But it maybe a little more difficult to dial in your desired position on a hired Tri Bike. FBR had Ventums available as the Tri Bike option (no doubt influenced by Ironman) and they were more expensive to hire than the road bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
700 from Houston? Ouch... this is going to be an expensive one.

Anyway, I’m here in Cozumel and used them for bike transport. Bike looks in good shape and it will be good to just hand it over to them after the race and go enjoy vacation without having to worry with the bike.
In terms of travel plans, my idea is to go the week before and stay for another one after the race. Wife didn’t like it because she knows the week before the race may be boring for her but the time change will hit us bad coming from the US.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [rcb.tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcb.tri wrote:
... but the time change will hit us bad coming from the US.

Depends where you are in the US. Only 4 hours difference between New Zealand and California (once you ignore that you jump a whole day).
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
You would find it hard to hire a manual car. Everything is auto.

Get GPS added, that will help too, especially as you also need to drive to speed limits in kph not mph. So the more thinking you can offload the better.

Lots of options, but I'd recommend landing, going to one of the many hotels a free shuttle bus away from the airport, or Novotel actually at the airport if finances allow, get a shower/sleep/ eat, then get the car and drive. It's all really easy to arrange, and you'll find the kiwi way is to make things easy, just a general approach.

Speaking of speed limits - someone mentioned going to Wellington. If you drive that direction, stick to the posted limit. No one will pull you over but you'll get a ticket in the mail. I mean, so I heard.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just tried to book some hotel's and there's zero availability! Strange cos we are still over a 52 weeks out so I'm hoping its a booking thing that doesn't allow anything outside a year been booked.

Anyone book or sort accomodation?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [johnny_5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.bookabach.co.nz is a site that lots of kiwis use instead of airbnb
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [rcb.tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah we’re planning the same. First week North Island, second week South Island. And the time change actually doesn’t look that bad. Flight I’m looking at departs Houston at 9:50pm iirc and lands at 5am. So as long as you can get decent sleep the adjustment shouldn’t be too bad.

On the bike thing, I’m also going to call shipbikes to get a quote for shipping it home. Might be cheaper to do it that way than TBT depending on Air New Zealand’s bike policy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first worlds and very excited about it. Coming from the UK so as far away as you can physically get.

Lucky with how my career has worked out means that I will be able to take a decent amount of time off. Planning on arriving around 10 days before to shake off the legs then staying for a few weeks after. Will probably only fly home for Christmas. For me its a great opportunity to travel - never done it before. Luckily as a UK doctor I have plenty of friends who have emigrated over there who i can leave my bike with / hang around with whilst i explore :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yea, i hear you... with TTB we only get the bike one or two days before the race so there may be an advantage in take it when flying out and ship back after the race.

Which airline is that flight you found? There's were some recent changes in the checked luggage policies on some companies that could, possibly, let us check in our bikes for no extra cost(If i remember right it was AA that started the change) but I haven't heard news or experiences from others if that's actually working. Anyone?

The only thing i looked about flights was the cost of the ticket to have an idea of how expensive the trip would be but Its good that we have flights leaving Houston that let us get there in the morning, it should help us adjust to local time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next