Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Groin Pull Vs. Ab Strain Vs. Sports Hernia
Quote | Reply
Will preface it by saying I am seeing my GP on Thursday so I am not just relying on this forum...

Two weeks ago raced a 5K really hard...very hilly course.

Day after my lower abs were very tight as a did an easy run to recover and get the blood moving. When I run I get tightness on my right side, goes away after about a 1/4 mile and then just feels like a hip flexor issue. After and the next day I just feel tightness leading down in my lower abdomen and into the groin area.

Biking on the trainer quite a bit and not issues at all....even when I push the pace. Swimming is no issue as well unless it is after a run and it still tight. Plan is to take a week off running and focus on the bike for a week solid and add some swims in and then see how it feels.

Dr. Google has me confused on what to think this is....any experience on something like this?
Quote Reply
Re: Groin Pull Vs. Ab Strain Vs. Sports Hernia [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Towards the end of March this year I experienced something similar except I don't recall a specific beginning of symptoms. Tightness in lower right abdomen, seemed to "warm up" after 1/4 mile or so into a run, and my hipflexors were killing me towards the end of the run. This persisted a few days until it never really warmed up throughout a run. Oddly enough, very slow jogging seemed to be OK, but anything close to a normal pace was tough. I gave up running about a month and half until a few weeks before a big race. Riding and swimming were unaffected.

Following the race, coughing/sneezing begins to hurt, as well as just about any ab exercise (I specifically remember lying flat on my back and trying to raise the legs six inches being excruciating). Fast forward about a month following my race I go to GP (who is also triathlete), and he refers me to Dr. Anthony Echo in Houston - we live a few hours away. Echo does ultrasound and confirms hernia, although I also had an MRI. Just had surgery on it at the end of August, feels much better so far but haven't run yet to test it out.

Just chiming in with my experience, as I had little success in finding much info when I was having my issues. Whatever you find out let us know. I was hurting in the approximate location below, but it was difficult to pinpoint the exact location of the pain.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
Will preface it by saying I am seeing my GP on Thursday so I am not just relying on this forum...

Two weeks ago raced a 5K really hard...very hilly course.

Day after my lower abs were very tight as a did an easy run to recover and get the blood moving. When I run I get tightness on my right side, goes away after about a 1/4 mile and then just feels like a hip flexor issue. After and the next day I just feel tightness leading down in my lower abdomen and into the groin area.

Biking on the trainer quite a bit and not issues at all....even when I push the pace. Swimming is no issue as well unless it is after a run and it still tight. Plan is to take a week off running and focus on the bike for a week solid and add some swims in and then see how it feels.

Dr. Google has me confused on what to think this is....any experience on something like this?

I've had 2 sports hernia surgeries. What I experienced wasn't like yours, I could run for 1km or so, then it would get sore and I'd have to stop, swimming hurt as well. You could especially feel it if you did a situp. I went to 3 GPs in the UK and they all said no hernia, it wasn't until I got back home to Australia and saw a sports doc that I was diagnosed with a sports hernia. So your GP may be a bit limited with their ability to diagnose the injury. Note a sports hernia doesn't protrude like a normal hernia and thats what the 3 GPs were doing, prodding around looking for a hernia. Only an ultrasound/MRI will show a sports hernia.

I do get tight, sore hip flexors from time to time and I sometimes freak out as it's similar pain to my sports hernia and in a similar area. So I can see how tight muscles could be confused with a hernia and vice versa.
Quote Reply
Re: Groin Pull Vs. Ab Strain Vs. Sports Hernia [bjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks....Will keep you posted.

What is the recovery like from hernia surgery? How quick were you able to resume any type of training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
Thanks....Will keep you posted.

What is the recovery like from hernia surgery? How quick were you able to resume any type of training?

1st surgery included surgery on my abductor, so recovery was 6 months, 2nd surgery was just the hernia op, I think I was light running after 3 weeks and back to fully recovered after 6 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Groin Pull Vs. Ab Strain Vs. Sports Hernia [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr doesn’t think it is a sports hernia. He thinks I would have some pain other than running. Taking a week off of running and plan on trying on Tuesday. I am optimistic as well, as I biked over 15 hours this week and no pain, also swim twice with no pain. Nervous to see how it feels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there's a fourth option, which someone just posted about on here recently, and that I currently have, but I promptly forgot it. Let me search...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Groin Pull Vs. Ab Strain Vs. Sports Hernia [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I developed a pain just as you describe a few years ago when I strained my adductor. Did a few months of PT which focused a lot on core and stability strength work, as well as adductor massage and SOAS release. It pokes back up on occasion if I am diligent in core and stability work or if I ramp up run training too quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Groin Pull Vs. Ab Strain Vs. Sports Hernia [BJones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any specific exercises or just a good mix of core work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar type pain from a hard run and I thought it was an abductor (Dr Google). I went in last week and initial diagnoses (x-ray) is a stress fracture on the femur neck. I have a NM full bone scan scheduled this week to confirm and to see how it is healing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, so they tell me, my issue stems from an imbalance in muscular development so my work is a mix of general core work and hip/glute stability work. I do a lot of plank, regular plank as well as L/R side plank. Bridges, and bridge with leg extensions. Also, squats, deadlifts, and, with a band, side steps and backward monster walk (really engages the glutes). All of that and hamstring, IT band, and adductor stretching. I don't do all of that all of the time, but that is most of what I would do at PT. At home I still do a lot of plank, squats, deadlifts, stretching (especially after a run), and general core work. I add in more of the specific glute stuff when/if I feel the tightness coming back. I will also use a massage stick on my adductor after a run. Really get in there with pressure to keep it from tightening up. The one thing that I have yet to replicate at home is an effective Soas release. Mostly because it is so painful and I just can't bring myself to do that to myself. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you think of Dr Echo? I had an MRI and was diagnosed with a sports hernia and torn adductor. Looking into Echo and Dr Andrassy. I've been dealing with this issue since mid Aug and nothing seems to be helping. Wondering next steps and which doctor to see.
thx
Quote Reply
Re: Groin Pull Vs. Ab Strain Vs. Sports Hernia [off2oz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Overall I have been very pleased with Echo. Op was on Aug. 29, and the recovery went very well. The lower right abs were stiff for quite a while, but barring my hip surgery probably could have run within a couple weeks. He told me he had trained under Muschaweck, and I had seen the name come up a few times on the forums as being reputable. I do still have some numbness below the incision, but I will gladly take that over no possibility of running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was your experience like with Dr Echo? I am seeing him for a follow up next week for sports hernia/adductor tear and other issues. He seems quite knowledgeable re the issues and was much more impressed by him than anyone else i have seen regarding my symptoms for the last 6 mos. Just hoping the surgery helps. Seems like the better choice over PRP at this point.... thanks for opinions/advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
Any specific exercises or just a good mix of core work?

Some targeted ones: flutter kicks, scissor kicks, leg lifts, hip thrusts, planking, running drills (side to side, carioca)

there could be much more, just listing a few...

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply