Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sweat issues with Altra Torin Plush - is it just me?
Quote | Reply
Let me start by saying that I love, love, love Altra Torin 3.0 Plush shoes. I ran them at Ironman Louisville last year, am training up for Arizona in them and I love the combo of big toe box, padding, and relatively light weight. As I suffer from Morton's neuroma in my right foot, Altras are pretty much the only shoes I can wear over IM or HIM distance runs. So, this is all to the good.

Here's the bad. I sweat. A lot. A whole lot. And the plush material in the Torin Plush knit top - which makes them oh so comfortable - also makes them sponges for sweat, puddle water, and ahem, other fluids that tend to hit shoes in the course of an IM run. Dunno what it is about these shoes but they literally weigh twice as much at mile 13 as what they do at mile 1. The water, etc just does not drain out and takes days to dry out in ideal conditions. The combo of sweat, rainwater, and other contaminants made the smell so rank that the smell from the shoes literally woke me from my post IMLOU sleep last year and had me throw the shoes away. If I'd driven home with them in the car, it would have been a Seinfeldian situation a la Jerry's car with the BO.

Anyway, anyone else experiencing this? Any thing i can do to "treat" the uppers to prevent this? I suppose I can always go back to the Torins or use the Paradigms, but you know how it is when you find the otherwise perfect shoe....
Quote Reply