Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
Vienna VA tri wrote:
Serious question, how many IMs with real pro money happen in the weeks or month after Kona? I understand the pro "quit and earn money another day" mentality but I don't understand why there would be a seriously contested race the month after Kona. Isn't Kona supposed to br the end of the season?

The real question is why is this so black or white for you? Death or finish? Really? There are actually more than 50 shades of gray,

There are still six Ironman's,one Challenge full, twenty five 70.3 events and six Challenge half distances to be raced before the end of the year.Lots of opportunities for pro triathletes to make money.It used to be that Kona was the end of the season with some of the top pro's going to Laguna Phuket to race and party hard for the end of the year but no longer.

How much do these guys spend on getting to Kona, flights, accommodation, food? How much have they paid in coaching fees training for Kona, equipment etc Prize money for Laguna Phuket is $20k. That isn't going to cover their Kona costs as well as their costs of getting to Thailand.

I seriously think you just don't get out much in the sport.You obviously don't realise how well looked after pro triathletes are in South East Asia .They get everything for free and the very top ones get flown over for major events. Hell even ex pro's like the Grangers get to come and live it up large at the Banyan Tree for free.It is like that for all the races over here. Most of them get a certain number of nights comp like Kate Bevilaqua and Guy Crawford who had to pay for their first couple of nights in the Cassia but then were moved by Ironman to the host hotel.You just don't get it.

Why is it you feel it so necessary to try and shit on so many comments that you clearly know little about?The Laguna party has been a thing of legend for two decades and if you look through the podiums list over the history of the race you will see why.

My point is, I disagree with people's suggestion that pros are easily quitting races to ensure they are fresh for another race in order for them to podium and make money. If their main priority is making money from racing, then racing Kona is nonsensical for a lot of the guys that are not going to make the top 10. If they have little chance of getting in the prize money, care little about the World Champs then don't go to Hawaii. Save your money, choose luvrative races like Phuket. Perhaps in Thailand the top pros get the 5 star treatment, but that's not every race. Most Ironman races they would be lucky to get a free bumper sticker. Apart from the top guys, most pros are penniless.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
Vienna VA tri wrote:
Serious question, how many IMs with real pro money happen in the weeks or month after Kona? I understand the pro "quit and earn money another day" mentality but I don't understand why there would be a seriously contested race the month after Kona. Isn't Kona supposed to br the end of the season?

The real question is why is this so black or white for you? Death or finish? Really? There are actually more than 50 shades of gray,

There are still six Ironman's,one Challenge full, twenty five 70.3 events and six Challenge half distances to be raced before the end of the year.Lots of opportunities for pro triathletes to make money.It used to be that Kona was the end of the season with some of the top pro's going to Laguna Phuket to race and party hard for the end of the year but no longer.

How much do these guys spend on getting to Kona, flights, accommodation, food? How much have they paid in coaching fees training for Kona, equipment etc Prize money for Laguna Phuket is $20k. That isn't going to cover their Kona costs as well as their costs of getting to Thailand.

I seriously think you just don't get out much in the sport.You obviously don't realise how well looked after pro triathletes are in South East Asia .They get everything for free and the very top ones get flown over for major events. Hell even ex pro's like the Grangers get to come and live it up large at the Banyan Tree for free.It is like that for all the races over here. Most of them get a certain number of nights comp like Kate Bevilaqua and Guy Crawford who had to pay for their first couple of nights in the Cassia but then were moved by Ironman to the host hotel.You just don't get it.

Why is it you feel it so necessary to try and shit on so many comments that you clearly know little about?The Laguna party has been a thing of legend for two decades and if you look through the podiums list over the history of the race you will see why.

My point is, I disagree with people's suggestion that pros are easily quitting races to ensure they are fresh for another race in order for them to podium and make money. If their main priority is making money from racing, then racing Kona is nonsensical for a lot of the guys that are not going to make the top 10. If they have little chance of getting in the prize money, care little about the World Champs then don't go to Hawaii. Save your money, choose luvrative races like Phuket. Perhaps in Thailand the top pros get the 5 star treatment, but that's not every race. Most Ironman races they would be lucky to get a free bumper sticker. Apart from the top guys, most pros are penniless.

So out of the 29 races I listed that are races where pro's can earn money and/or a chance at Kona qualifying or a regional championship title you decide to pick the ONE race that I added expressly saying that when Kona USED TO BE the last race of the season it was the thing at the time for athletes to come over to Thailand for an end of year party.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
Vienna VA tri wrote:

So out of the 29 races I listed that are races where pro's can earn money and/or a chance at Kona qualifying or a regional championship title you decide to pick the ONE race that I added expressly saying that when Kona USED TO BE the last race of the season it was the thing at the time for athletes to come over to Thailand for an end of year party.

OK forget Phuket then, it's a bad example and you're missing my point!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they have little chance of getting in the prize money, care little about the World Champs then don't go to Hawaii.

-------

The issue is, Kona is a hot bed for networking / sponsorship for pros. And I'm guessing the reality is that these behind the scenes supporters of the pro's, they really don't care if they DNF. Cus the reality is you fans likely don't care either. Sure you think it's a bad look, but are you making different product choices because of it? I doubt it. It's just more of an emotional reaction than anything.

I remember listening to some nfl player talk about an fan interaction. They lost the nfl game that day and then fans saw the same players at the club/bar that night....."why are you here, shouldn't you be upset".....The NFL player basically laughed at the notion that he couldn't have a life outside of the game, etc. The truth is likely "fans" are more actually emotional invested in the actual result. At the end of the day the athlete can make a black and white decision and be fine with it, but fans likely have more "emotional" sentiment attached to it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 15, 19 18:56
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea Lange was going hard then all of a sudden he stops. He was getting dropped and His D train was done too.

Easier to drop and save face than get beat like you stole something.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan walked 26miles, a lot of it with shit in his pants.

That’s really all you need to know. He’s a Pro, and the GOAT

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually think that it’s good for her to have had her time and not attend any celebrations if not ready. Somewhere I read that Sarah has had depression issues in the past and with the two heat issues she had this year I can see how bummed she could have been. Really hoping for a good recovery for such a fun person (her interview with Bob pre race was great).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Vienna VA tri wrote:
Hey, Monty, I don't believe I have a reading comprehension problem. I think you have an exaggeration problem. I never said it was a "finish and lose ten feet of a colon" problem. You did. I saw there are more than 50 shades of gray. I'll leave you to have the last word. Let's see when Cody races again.

I agree. Monty, I have no idea where you came up with this retarded "finish or die" mantra. I understand the logic behind pros quitting because they pick up an injury, they don't want to make it worse by continuing. Or a catastrophic mechanical which would require them to ride 180km in their smallest gear. But I think it's a bit shit quitting because their race isn't going to plan and they are out of the prize money.

Most of the pros that DNFed aren't even racing in the next month, for most of them it's the end of their season. I guess it's not black and white, more like a sliding scale e.g break your leg is a justifiable excuse for quitting, losing a gel, or not having your best swim, no not ok to quit. It's shit for the sport, it's shit for the spectators, it's shit for the athletes sponsors and it's shit for the athlete. It opens up a door that was previously closed - when things go South, you quit. Next race, things don't go to plan, do they keep on quitting until they do? How many pros have had disasters during a race, but have been resilient, battled on and performed well e.f Ryf getting stung last year?

Didn't you read the first few posts? Age group athletes shitting on pros for not completing the race because they (wrongly I might add) think it is a bad ass achievement to complete an ironman is what brought the "finish or die" discussion up. Monty then did a pretty good job on explaining why injuries aren't the only legit reason for quitting. Since you still don't get it: imagine you are a pro hoping to finish in the top 5. Your sponsors are thrilled that you have made it to the WC and they dream of seeing you - and thus themselves - on the podium or at least at the press conference. Then you get on the bike and your legs don't respond. You can't even push 30 watts under your target power and you're going backwards through the field. Sure you can continue the race and "honor the sport" and complete in 35th. But for what? So that you're fans can think you are a bad ass and not "stop respecting you"? Will that respect pay your bills? What happens to your market value? Negotiating with sponsors thinking you're a top 5 candidate at worlds will probably put you in a better position than having them believe you're a 35th guy. And what about your mental state ahead of next race in Kona?

"But Jan and Daniella finished...."

News flash: they are in a wee bit better position than most when it comes to sponsors. Bahrain, Asics and Mercedes (and Tag Heuer/Rolex) are already onboard. Admirable when people choose to gut it out but let people trying to make a living out of it make their own decisions without taking cheap shots
Quote Reply

Prev Next