Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First post and a couple questions from a potential newb.
Quote | Reply
Hello all

First post here, not a triathlete..... yet.... but have a plan brewing and thought I'd float the idea and ask a few questions.

I'm 43 in a few days, living in the UK, bulk of my fitness comes from a bike background over the last few years, but haven't raced competitively in a couple years. Have never run, but have done a bit this year and although my stamina is decent, I'm sloooooow. Swimming, could do it forever, but again far from what one would call 'quick'.

Currently without a target or physical challenge and I was explaining to someone recently why IM distance seemed such a bizarre concept to me..... the swim, I could do..... the bike, I'd be reasonably handy at but think I'd spend a lot of it weeping, thinking of the marathon to follow! Running a marathon just doesn't compute to me, let alone after 112 on the bike, I really am an almost perfect stranger to running. But, as I was saying it during that conversation something in my mind clicked, and I kinda fancy it. I like an idea which is bad enough to be a good idea (e.g. I've done an Everesting on the bike) and I also love getting into something I've genuinely no idea whether I'm capable of or not and which takes some buckling down and dedication, so IM kinda ticks my boxes. So, a couple of questions.....

1. I'm thinking if I do do it I'll spend 2020 training and building up to it, having a crack at IM distance in 2021. I'm considering vlog/blogging the whole thing from beginning to end, documenting all the various aspects and progress en route. That been done before? (I'd like to check it out if so) Is it the sort of thing folk would find interesting?
  2. If I did proceed with that idea I'd like to stick together a list of things to monitor and discuss en route..... body shape, measurements, vitals such as blood pressure and maybe some blood markers, coaching, training and progress, equipment, diet and changes, physical and mental health, work/life/training balance and maintaining the politics at home (full time job and young family)...... a bunch of things I'd report on some regularly, and maybe others in a dedicate blog entry or something.

I'm currently a fair bit heavier than my racing weight typically was, plus although the cardio base is still decent I'm a fair way off where I was, so there's work to do. Plus, 'proper' swimming and running is new to me, so lots of new training involved too. I'm always interested in tracking my own training and progress in general, so was wondering if other might too.

What do you think? Interesting if done right, or load of nonsense which has been done before? Would welcome your thoughts on such a mission.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: First post and a couple questions from a potential newb. [Devon_UK_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't a runner when I started but still did an IM in my second year. I walked after 18 miles because my knee hurt and still finished near 12:20.

So it can be done but I said to myself that I wouldn't do another until I matured at a runner. That took another 2 years to be able to run that far but then made nutrition mistakes in the next IM. It was still another 2 years until I figured out nutrition, by then I was doing HIM's.

So make sure you can run long before your race then it becomes a matter of execution of your swim/bike pacing/nutrition plans to be able to run.
Quote Reply
Re: First post and a couple questions from a potential newb. [Devon_UK_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a long time slow runner but a triathlon beginner. Did 2 sprints this year. Planning on Olympic in '20, 70.3 in '21, IM in '22 when I turn 60. With some marathons and ultras thrown in there.

If you're an okay swimmer and an experienced cyclist, you could walk the marathon and make the cutoffs and finish not last.

Yes, there have been thousands upon thousands of such blogs. But that doesn't mean you can't have your own blog. I'll check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! Getting into triathlon is a great idea! Welcome to the sport and to this forum.

Don't do an Ironman as your first race. Start with a sprint. Then do an olympic. Then do a half. Then decide how many more races to do before you want to take on an IM. I did a lot of racing over years before I decided I wanted to do a full.

Markers to track - since you're a cyclist, you probably know about FTP. But you also want to keep track of running threshold. For swimming, successful triathlon swimming is a bit more complicated than just threshold and time - a lot of it is about how spent you are at the end of the swim leg, whatever your speed was.

You can definitely make a lot of progress if you buy some training books and do it yourself, but if you really want to do an Ironman in 2021 and not have a terrible experience, I would recommend a good coach. Also joining a masters swim group - and it would be best if you can find one that focuses on triathletes (I know the swimmers may disagree with me on that one!)

As for blogging/vlogging, lots of people have definitely done that before, but I've never followed it. I'm sure a little googling will bring up some examples for you. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea. It can be good for self-accountability, and other people may find your experience valuable.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you already have bike fitness and at least are capable of swimming even if you’re not fast (you’re not alone in that among triathletes). If you have bike fitness, it’s not like there’s zero carry over to running. You could spend next year doing some sprints and olympics. Then maybe shoot for a half early 2021 and mid end season full.
Quote Reply
Re: First post and a couple questions from a potential newb. [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. Bike experience is fairly developed, so the training/data/metrics I'm up to speed with (TT was my thing, coached and lived by TrainingPeaks). The running is indeed the concern and absolutely right, I'll be focusing on 'maturing' that as a priority. And yes, would work my way up to the full IM distance, with the various steps along the way.

I'll ponder it some more this week and chat with the good lady, she needs to be on board as much as I am. A part of me giving up the formal TT training/racing was the time required for it and how it impacted the family - this is my main issue to address.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hours can certainly depend on your goals. Many people aiming for the front of the pack here obviously train hard and log a lot of hours. If you have more modest goals your training commitment can be far less especially since you’re not coming from a zero fitness background. Sounds like quite the opposite. For my IM or HIM training I don’t think i average over 10 hours per week. The IM I’ve probably peaked at 15-18. HIM is far less. But my goals are pretty modest and I would be an unhappy camper logging 15+ hours/week on a long term basis.
Quote Reply