Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed Concept 9 and 7.5 changes between 2012 and 2014
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

I'm eyeing a couple Speed Concept bikes - one is a 2012 9.5 WSD and one is a 2013 7.5. Both component sets are good quality and wheels are pretty equivalent on both.

I wonder if the front end differences or other differences between the two bikes are enough to get one over the other?

Is it worth holding off and waiting for a good deal on a 2014 7 or 9 series? I read that maybe in 2014 started a new generation - is there appreciable differences here?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it and should just pick the cooler looking one - but I keep thinking there might be some worthy differences - so I'm holding off until I can learn more.

Thanks you! Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept 9 and 7.5 changes between 2012 and 2014 [ericfox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept 9 and 7.5 changes between 2012 and 2014 [ericfox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own both a first and second generation SC. Among other improvements, and perhaps the most noticeable, the 2nd generation has an improved aero bar set up. The post 2014 edition is the one to buy.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept 9 and 7.5 changes between 2012 and 2014 [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys! I will hold off for a >=2014 model
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept 9 and 7.5 changes between 2012 and 2014 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Yes the Speed Concept Gen 2 came out in 2014. Totally different but not different bike. I would absolutely want the Gen 2.

It actually came out in 2013. Got mine in August 2013.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...arch_engine#p4711981

See my post #51 that highlights some of the improvements from gen 1 to gen 2.

Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept 9 and 7.5 changes between 2012 and 2014 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Any big improvements between 2014/15 years and 2019?

Also - see pic below - this was listed as a 2014 but I think it’s really a 2013 right? It’s listed at $2200 plus shipping costs

Did they make more changes in 2018? If so what do you guys think about those changes? My local shop might have a deal on a 2019 unit but I’ll have to check what size it is

Last edited by: ericfox: Oct 14, 19 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Night and day difference
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericfox wrote:
Thank you!

Any big improvements between 2014/15 years and 2019?

Also - see pic below - this was listed as a 2014 but I think it’s really a 2013 right? It’s listed at $2200 plus shipping costs

Did they make more changes in 2018? If so what do you guys think about those changes? My local shop might have a deal on a 2019 unit but I’ll have to check what size it is

That’s definitely a gen 1.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gen 1 straight top tube to seatpost.
Gen 2 triangle on top tube at seatpost

Easiest way to tell

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept 9 and 7.5 changes between 2012 and 2014 [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK so apparently now they did away with the whole 7 series and 9 series?

Now there is just “house model” and project one according to local bike shop. They do have the house model in size large which comes with aluminum/composite wheels and Ultegra components.

I am going tonight to see if the large would work for me - my stack and reach numbers from measurement analysis were 522 stack and 410 reach - so based on Trek data I doubt a large will be the best fit - but hopefully I can at least make sure I like the bike.

Is the 2019 better than the earlier year models for any reason?

I also have option of getting 2019 Cervelo P2 and getting carbon wheels and upgrade cockpit for roughly same price
Last edited by: ericfox: Oct 14, 19 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that 522/410 number your pad stack and reach or a frame stack and reach?

If it’s pad stack and reach....

The frame stack and reach on a large Speed Concept is 540 and 425. So it’s larger than your stack and reach already even without the bars. I was absolutely slammed on my size large SC and the stack was almost 600.

So no.... a large SC won’t come close to fitting you. Neither will a medium. Your stack and reach of 522/410 puts you on a small or extra small.

What makes you think a large was going to fit you? Not that height is the be all and end all measurement for bike fitting but individuals that ride a large SC are probably in the 6’ to 6’2” range.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Oct 14, 19 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept 9 and 7.5 changes between 2012 and 2014 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey GMAN - thanks for the response. I’m 5’10 and those are the frame stack-reach numbers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the fitter give you pad stack and reach numbers?

A medium SC is most likely the best fit for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I’ll be getting those numbers tonight- I’ll report back
Quote Reply