Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who can do 495 watts for 30 minutes?
Quote | Reply
Lance is who. In my limited experience that is about the max power for one minute of the typical CAT 1 cyclist. Wow.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=1961

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Who can do 495 watts for 30 minutes? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crazy!

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
darn! that was my power at Vo2max for my last test...can hold it 3' for the test, maybe 4' without the initial steps!
the guy is a freak. period!
Quote Reply
Re: Who can do 495 watts for 30 minutes? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't you hold over 500 watts once for about 5 minutes while being chased by furry things?

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coyote inspired interval as I recall.

I visit 30 mph on occasion but it's a hi and by kind of visit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was about two miles when chased by coyotes (with the bloody PCs!)
It was above 500w for a while but can't be sure I held it this long...or that would just prove that being scared makes you faster than being a lab rat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, when I do a 3 min max on my powertap, it feels like sustained constant effort, but the watts plateau for a while and then just steadily drop. I can start at maybe 600 watts and then watch it drop and drop until power is down to 100 watts or so while my HR is still sitting at 200. I may still hear the doberman with swarm of killer bees right behind me, but I'm not going very fast...

----
Aerosexual.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can do 495 watts for 30 minutes? [andy497] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
during this "session" I don't think the watts dropped below 480 or thereabout...

anyway, coyotes make you fast! (they make you nearly as fast as PC make you fast! :-))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alessandro Pettachi, winner of 3 Tdf stages, along with Giro and Vuelta stages, can put out 1600 watts for about 10-20 secs. And i think Mario Cipollini can put out 1800. I know these wattages arent held for very long, and are just during sprints, but i still think they are amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can do 495 watts for 30 minutes? [apolack1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and Florian Rousseau generates above 2000w for the first 10'' of a 500m sprint on track....
I tried to see how high I could go just on power...
well even with big legs, I am nowhere near this!
below 1100w...I reached 1000w once for like a 10th of a second.
funny though I already had frames that I bend a bit...wonder how often Mario and Pettachi change their frames...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I burn around 750 watts when I am on my Computrainer in the den. I turn the dimmer switch on full and my 10 track lighting light bulbs put out 750 watts as closely as I can measure. I can keep this up all evening, at least until the Leno monologue is over.

No big deal really.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Alessandro Pettachi, winner of 3 Tdf stages, along with Giro and Vuelta stages, can put out 1600 watts for about 10-20 secs. And i think Mario Cipollini can put out 1800

Not a chance. Road sprinters like Cipollini and Pettachi might be able to hit these maximum values for 2-3 seconds, but only the very best Real Sprinters (TM) found on the track can hold these values for as much as 5 seconds.

Ken Lehner

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Who can do 495 watts for 30 minutes? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was during an interview pettachi claimed that as max watts, so i just threw out the numbers. Next time ill be sure to get a lab to test it, then ill properly cite the source. Who are "Real Sprinters" and why are they tradmarked "(TM)". Are they some sort of robot?
Quote Reply
Re: Who can do 495 watts for 30 minutes? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just for fun, I plugged that number (750 watts) into analyticcycling, and with mainly default parameters, it yields a 40k time of around 42 minutes. I believe that that is just under Superman's record time. Me thinks your computrainer might need a little tweaking.

Just for reference regarding the sprints, I have gotten 3 consecutive seconds of data (3 sec sprint) out of my powertap in the range of 1000-1200 watts, and my max lt power (for one hour) is like a miserable 180 watts. From that, I'd guess that Lance's sprint power is enough to pull cars out of ditches.

----
Aerosexual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It was during an interview pettachi claimed that as max watts, so i just threw out the numbers. Next time ill be sure to get a lab to test it, then ill properly cite the source. Who are "Real Sprinters" and why are they tradmarked "(TM)". Are they some sort of robot?

Don't be so thin-skinned, nor so sarcastic. I'm sure that Petacchi can reach 1700W; I'm also sure that he can't hold it for more than a couple of seconds and that he didn't claim he could.

As for Real Sprinters, they are the world class track sprinters (see picture of Eadie below: Yow!). The trademark was a joke.

Ken Lehner

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...I'd guess that Lance's sprint power is enough to pull cars out of ditches."

Actually, Armstrong is now pretty much an aerobic beast and his sprint is not that impressive. I'd bet a good domestic pro like Fraser could take him 9 times out of 10. So he might not be able to pull the car out of the ditch, but he should be able to push that car for a long time after Eadie and Rouseeau remove it for him.

I think the Real Sprinters (TM) joke was a subtle jab at Chris "the Trademarker" Carmichael.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think he was talking about his interior lighting....

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's see I can do 495 watts

I can ride for 30 minutes.

Now I just need to combine the two; I'm almost there.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply