Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona wave starts and effect on drafting
Quote | Reply
I thought I would open the discussion and although I liked the mass start of Kona in previous years a few times I had been caught up in the pack by Waikoloa that there was no way to get around and you were stuck in it until the climb to Hawi where it broke up. This year as a MOP swimmer in the 40-49 wave there was a constant line of cyclists pretty much all the way to Hawi but plenty of space and and no reason you couldn't slot in the line and keep your draft distance. The draft busters were in force where as before I think they were daunted to tackle the bunch as it was just too hard. As it turned a stronger headwind after Waikoloa people were drafting more so and the two guys in front of me both got shown a card and sent to the tent.

I don't know if anyone who raced would think any different but IMO it had to be done and made for a far better bike. Kudos to Ironman for the change.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona wave starts and effect on drafting [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I chatted w/my athlete last night who was 5th in her AG. She said she got mixed up with a lot of M50-55 The one thing she said is that there weren't a lot of dudes who tried to pass her back when she passed them.

The one thing she mentioned is there were a lot of women sitting on dudes wheels coming back from the turnaround.

I'll chat more in depth w/her & the other athlete I had racing about everything later this week.

if I remember I'll ask about this, come back here & update

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

Although I liked the mass start of Kona in previous years, a few times I had been caught up in the pack by Waikoloa that there was no way to get around and you were stuck in it... until the climb to Hawi where it broke up.

This year as a MOP swimmer in the 40-49 wave, there was a constant line of cyclists pretty much all the way to Hawi.
Plenty of space and and no reason you couldn't slot in the line and keep your draft distance.

The draft busters were in force, where as before I think they were daunted to tackle the bunch, as it was just too hard.

As it turned, a stronger headwind after Waikoloa had people drafting more, and the two guys in front of me both got shown a card and sent to the tent.

I don't know if anyone who raced would think any different, but IMO it had to be done and made for a far better bike.

Kudos to Ironman for the change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was way better than in previous years, like night and day. As you mentioned it was pretty much a single file line all the way to Hawi. There was a bit of bunching up on the last section of the climb to Hawi, but folks were doing a pretty good job of trying to ride legally. I actually enjoyed the ride this year compared to previous years were I was torqued with all the drafting.

Quote | Reply
I agree. Was in M50-54 so coming in behind all the other male waves. While starting later has its downside especially in Kona, I was satisfied with the separation on the bike. As others have said, while there was generally a single file line for much of the race, I saw no trains and definitely no large pack racing. If I found myself too close to someone it was easy to back off legally or move past to a clean spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona wave starts and effect on drafting [Natrl DIZZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M50-54 - first time and I didn't see packs and only two occasions it was obvious a pair was working together. One was two dudes tight in passing multiple people and a M/F pair in the same kit/team which was pretty obvious too.

Was disappointed not to have the iconic mass start but think it was a good decision as it was really easy not to draft. Never felt like I got caught in situation and always had the ability to get clear when passed.
Quote Reply