Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Program for a Newbie
Quote | Reply
Hello Triathletes!

I've recently discovered my passion for fitness and triathlons. I've been on a weight loss journey since January and have lost just over 60lbs. When I found triathlons, my weight loss became less about vanity and fully focused on fitness and getting in shape for races. I have some lofty goals for my future, the main one being to participate in an Iron Man.

I traded my car out for a bicycle and bike around 1hr to an 1hr and a half each day. It's difficult because of how many hills are in my city but I'm getting used to it. I was working on running before I got my new job. I got up to being able to run for 1hr and was planning on working on speed when I had to take a hiatus.

I realize I'm at the very beginning of my journey, but I want to be serious right out of the gates. I've tried looking into training programs, since I'm unaccustomed to training in different sports. I should mention I also train in Krav Maga and don't plan on giving it up. I've tried looking for blanket training programs online and have had little luck (although I did find slowtwitch). I do plan on eventually investing in a trainer, but would like to be reasonably in shape so that my trainer can work on technique and improvement. I'd like to create an actual schedule that I can look at daily.

Please any advice on what I should train when, for how long, and how often. Also any online training programs or calendars for newbies. I'm willing to work out as often as I need to, I just need a plan of action!

Thanks guys!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Training Program for a Newbie [aron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you starting out with a sprint or Olympic distance triathlon? Some people jump straight to full ironman but that can be a bit daunting for your first triathlon. For me I spent the first year doing sprints and Olympic distance.

I found some free programs here that were pretty straightforward and useful for me to just get some semblence if structured training.
https://www.triradar.com/training-plans

Some other more experienced people here might be able to advise how you can work in your bike commute as part of training.

Do you have a local triathlon group in your area? Those can be really helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the journey!

Best thing I did starting out was found a local sprint and signed up. Being signed up for an event kept me in the training mindset. The sprint also helped me figure out if the sport was something I wanted to invest any more time and money into. I had a blast and learned a lot that you can’t learn from forums or online plans.

If you can swim a little, bike an hour and run an hour comfortably, I say go out for a sprint distance triathlon and you’ll have a better idea of what’s up.

I have enjoyed Matt Dixon’s Fast Track Triathlete book. It includes a pre season plan as well as 70.3, 140.6, and post season plans. I imagine you could modify the preseason plan to get you ready for a sprint distance tri.

Matt also has a great podcast: The Purple Patch Podcast.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aron wrote:
Hello Triathletes!

I've recently discovered my passion for fitness and triathlons. I've been on a weight loss journey since January and have lost just over 60lbs. When I found triathlons, my weight loss became less about vanity and fully focused on fitness and getting in shape for races. I have some lofty goals for my future, the main one being to participate in an Iron Man.

I traded my car out for a bicycle and bike around 1hr to an 1hr and a half each day. It's difficult because of how many hills are in my city but I'm getting used to it. I was working on running before I got my new job. I got up to being able to run for 1hr and was planning on working on speed when I had to take a hiatus.

I realize I'm at the very beginning of my journey, but I want to be serious right out of the gates. I've tried looking into training programs, since I'm unaccustomed to training in different sports. I should mention I also train in Krav Maga and don't plan on giving it up. I've tried looking for blanket training programs online and have had little luck (although I did find slowtwitch). I do plan on eventually investing in a trainer, but would like to be reasonably in shape so that my trainer can work on technique and improvement. I'd like to create an actual schedule that I can look at daily.

Please any advice on what I should train when, for how long, and how often. Also any online training programs or calendars for newbies. I'm willing to work out as often as I need to, I just need a plan of action!

Thanks guys!!!

swim when you can, bike when you can, run when you can, and also double up some workouts in bricks, like bike + run

I do Muay Thai on top of Tri sports and it’s doable, but also I rarely get tired.

You’re probably going to want to layer a run or bike after Krav Maga at night.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Training Program for a Newbie [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, it’s hard to tell your weight as you only mentioned one stat (weight lost), so tough to say what kind of running volume you would train at to avoid injury. I’d recommend heavy cycling and swimming first then building up in run mileage as there will be less weight and pressure on your joints and knees.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://8020endurance.com/

im at the end of my first round of structured training using these guys and what they offer and i couldnt be happier with how their setup is as well as my results so far. i plan on sticking with them.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply