Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
juanillo wrote:
I want to recall what I said about AB some weeks ago. He is lost nowhere. Someone told me that this was stupid, but I keep on saying it. He is a winner, no doubt, and he excelled in ITU despite injuries and so on. But I still dont know what is going next...tokyo, 70.3, IM, Superleague? I am sorry but I dont see him as a future Kona winner. He likes racing too much, and has no patience...bad mix for IM. He tends to overtrain, ... like his brother. Jonny learnt the lesson and is coming back, but not as dominant as before.
I ll swallow my own words, but we have seen the best of AB already. I am spanish and I dont think Gomez will nail it in Kona either. Javier is gonna race an IM in 1 month's time to classify. Plan B if Tokyo does not go well or doing an Allen.I think hes waited too much to step to LD and now rushing. I think he is being wrong too.

Can you confirm Gomez is planning on doing Kona and Tokyo?

It seems he will race in Malaysia in Oct 26... not 100% confirmed though

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frodeno also had a stronger "kit" game, lol. He was able to pull off the mostly all white kit like nobody's business, but the new black kit upped the badass factor several notches, particularly on the run with the black socks & shoes, backwards hat and sunglasses on that lanky Frodo frame. If the Terminator ever took up triathlon I imagine that's what he would like like, ha.

Referee Jimmy Riccitello has called a halt to this contest at 7 hours 51 minutes and 13 seconds, declaring your winner by TKO...and NEW Ironman Champion of the WORLD....FRODO!! šŸ˜Ž
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [Mike.A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate the red kit Ali runs in, his British ITU kit (navy blue) is really smart, shame he can't race in something similar.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have to agree...the darker blue looked more menacing than the red. That said if he had of been first to the tape on Saturday I'm sure the red kits would be flying off the store shelves, lol
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
As I said, doubters will continue to doubt, and believers will continue to believe. Call me crazy for being somewhere in the middle.

Iā€™m with you: I wasnā€™t there so I donā€™t know for sure. But here is why I think he DID do it on purpose. The CYA on IG. That is a classic move once good thought re-enters a tired mind. As Slowman said: AB is a business and his handlers were quick to try to fix it. Also, how did Sara True react when she bumped an AGer when she was exhausted. She wasnā€™t on the winning end of any contact, while Frodo really moved. There was force behind that bump, and a tired athlete unless he is falling isnā€™t pushing that much power in that state. Also, if it was a fall, Frodoā€™s reaction would have told it. He KNOWS what a tired athlete that needs help walking looks like, he apparently did NOT think it was unintentional.

I think AB was pissed, did a bump, and in hindsight knows it was bad form and apologized (but didnā€™t accept responsibility and said it was accident).

I'm an AB fan, but I think this is probably more likely also.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Okay, yeah, after seeing that, I agree: no malice intended.

Last edited by: domingjm: Oct 14, 19 20:25
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Potentially any one of the pros racing in kona had a chance to win however, we know the results.

None of the pros even cared to have seen AB upfront, or we'd heard of or seen other racing uphill like AB was! Fact is nobody cared he was there!!!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:

Iā€™m not sold. Again, AB never even turned back around. Maybe not, maybe it was an accident. But that video didnā€™t sell me the other way. Either way, weā€™ll get a rivalry out of it. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [Sun Wu Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sun Wu Kong wrote:
Intelligence? The man got into Oxford to study medicine, you have to work very hard and be very clever to do that. I have seen AB away from racing plenty of times and he was always fine, polite and a normal bloke. We don't know how aggressive anything he said on course was and it looked like an accident to me after the race.

I suspect he will be back with better preparation and do much better.

Man, please, he was at CAMBRIDGE, big difference,

We try not even to talk about the Dark Blues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
domingjm wrote:

Iā€™m not sold. Again, AB never even turned back around. Maybe not, maybe it was an accident. But that video didnā€™t sell me the other way. Either way, weā€™ll get a rivalry out of it. Lol

I guess what convinced me is twofold: 1) He has a big smile on his face. That isn't consistent with someone about to deliver an intentional body check. 2) He takes at least two awkward stumbling steps right before bumping into him. I definitely agree though, that you'd expect to see a quick turnaround and apology or acknowledgement, but we can't know what state he was in either. Anyway, Judge Jimmy declares no foul ;-)

Last edited by: domingjm: Oct 15, 19 1:29
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the whole race dynamic will change up again once Jonny B switches to long course after Tokyo - Iden (and others) have proved you can do ITU & 70.3 successfully so I'm hoping JB will do an early season 70.3 and go to Taupo.

Ali has always had the measure of Jonny at Olympic distance - wonder if that situation will reverse over longer distances...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He posted on his Instagram story the day after saying he was on the verge of passing out (was held up by a volunteer shortly after) and has since apologised to Jan. Unintentional bump ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:

well, surely now all the people who were using this as an excuse for vitriol will change their minds.

glad that misunderstanding is all cleared up!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
Sun Wu Kong wrote:
Intelligence? The man got into Oxford to study medicine, you have to work very hard and be very clever to do that. I have seen AB away from racing plenty of times and he was always fine, polite and a normal bloke. We don't know how aggressive anything he said on course was and it looked like an accident to me after the race.

I suspect he will be back with better preparation and do much better.

Man, please, he was at CAMBRIDGE, big difference,

We try not even to talk about the Dark Blues.
Apologies, even harder to get into.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:
And how many watts to catch a racing frodo from standstill and a minute head start... Thats power!

It's impressive, but not that big of a deal. A minute over 4+ hours isn't that significant of a gap. If you're patient.

It took the kind of prodigious effort that would cook even a double Olympic champion.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
I think the honest answer about AB is that he is a bit of a Yorkshireman

When the whole 'Yorkshire thing' starts and everyone else just looks at their feet and blows their cheeks out. We've all been there :-)

(Devon is clearly the best).

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devon!? Dorset is where it's at ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting...to me, this video looks like he went out of his way to throw his shoulder toward Jan. Its the nonchalant, ā€œaccidentalā€ bump. I did it many times between plays or the like in hockey games in my younger years. And Iā€™ve definitely done it with a smile on my face! I think this angle makes it look worse than the original angle. But, I have beat this to death with my comments.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 15, 19 3:56
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [wlsnlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wlsnlee wrote:
He posted on his Instagram story the day after saying he was on the verge of passing out (was held up by a volunteer shortly after) and has since apologised to Jan. Unintentional bump ;)

Only he knows whether it was intentional, but I have to say the times that I have passed out or have seen someone pass out it has never been with a smile
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
playero wrote:
AB performed actually worse than expected,

No he didn't and that was a punk move to bump Jan

85% of the forum had AB winning the other 14.9% had him being on the podium... there was the 0.01<--(me) crazy people who were saying he wouldn't do any better than Javier and forecasted him a 6-15 placing and ended up what, placing in twenty-irrelevant! So from being his race to lose as many people thought down to twenty-irrelevant place, how would you rank the result? Amazing [ ] above avg [ ] Avg [ ] below Avg [ ] poor [ ]

all AB got to accomplish here was to chaperone Jan for the win along with amberger and the other german in neon yellow I think

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha I actually said before the race that AB's 1st kona was actually going to turn into a "domestique" role for Frodo because he's going to swim/bike at the front and then fade hard the back half of the run. It was very obvious he was going to struggle and it was a struggle that he needed imo. He needed to be humbled with his lack of direction this year and also to realize his 2 x gold medals at Olympics don't mean much if he's going to race like an madman at times. AB races imo like one of those guys that absolutely needed to be broken, and he got that. Maybe he'll learn from it and change and maybe he wont. But if he continues he will most certainly be a major factor especially as imo Frodo's reign is now going to be over. He may do well in '20 but after that I see Frodo retiring/not caring (he will be 40 by then).

I also thought Gomez's 1st Kona would go down similiar as I just figured the bike was going to be hard for Gomez even "sitting in".

I think one thing going against both Gomez and AB is they have a lot of "miles" on their body imo from all the ITU racing they've done. Almost to the point where especially for Gomez, you likely don't get "better". Not sure how to describe it, but almost like you lose your window of time to be the best IM athlete, by staying in ITU too long. You need an adjustment period to racing IM well, and especially Kona, so the 1st few for almost anyone not named Frodo there is always "learning" to be done. But if you wait too long to move to LC, then you essentially lose your max ability in that learning phase and when your ready to nail it, you've lost your top ability and too much on the decline....I kinda see that for Gomez when/if he moves back to IM full time, and he may win a Kona, but imo him going back to ITU for Tokyo has lost his real IM potential, imo....sure he can win some regional races, but Kona? I doubt it, and would bet against him rather than for him. He's going to be 37 the next time he races Kona in a year he also races ITU, so that'll be a "throw away" Kona result. So his best year in Kona will be at 38 years old!?!? That means he's got 1-2 "best years" to do it.

AB (much younger than Gomez) more has injury issues as a result of his training/racing philosophy, that I think can be cured with IM racing, but it's also the sorta philosophy that goes against his "smash everyone and see what happens".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 15, 19 8:08
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
domingjm wrote:

well, surely now all the people who were using this as an excuse for vitriol will change their minds.

glad that misunderstanding is all cleared up!

We can't expect everyone to be as rational as you and I are, can we Michael?

Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p9ul wrote:
I think the whole race dynamic will change up again once Jonny B switches to long course after Tokyo - Iden (and others) have proved you can do ITU & 70.3 successfully so I'm hoping JB will do an early season 70.3 and go to Taupo.

Ali has always had the measure of Jonny at Olympic distance - wonder if that situation will reverse over longer distances...

I've always thought Jonny would be a better LC athlete as he races a bit more patient, Jonny seems to have a lot more bad luck though with mechanicals etc wonder how his 'bad luck' would play out over an 8 hour race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next