Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike Count [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never heard of this one. Generally, another brand is counting your bikes... so, you also count yours just in case... We did this and also count our closest rivals. We were really surprised by some numbers...

FYI, maybe I'm wrong, only 4 brands came to count. Not even one in the big 4 (industry).

Now, I really believe that the industry doesn't care anymore about the bike count.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Count [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think triathlon will ever see another brand be as dominant. //

Man, we said the same exact thing back in the day when Trek had double or more of the 2nd place bike in this count. We would have bet the farm they would at the very least stay on top, never mind double, but low and behold. They have to struggle now to not be doubled by Cervélo. I wouldnt bet the tractor on the farm anymore, history has a weird way of repeating itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Count [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Waingro wrote:
So how much money does Ventum spend to market themselves with IM, and up at 43?

Meanwhile, Trek sponsors just a couple pros and ends up second.

Ventum bike is so ugly in design. On the othe hand, Trek SC is beautiful to look at. You know people have eyes.

This.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Count [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because if a company is willing to sponsor Ironman events I would hope it might pay off for them. K-Swiss made a good running shoe but seemed to falter after they sponsored IM. As have other companies. I hope Hoka and Ventum change that pattern.

Hoka was really benefiting from the association with IRONMAN being the #1 shoe brand at the race, until Nike came along with the 4% - and that changed everything. Last year, Nike a brand that does zero marketing directly to triathletes, was the biggest gainer in the Kona Shoe Count. 2018 results here - https://www.triathlete.com/...-reigns-again_336635 (2019 Kona Shoe Count numbers not out yet)

When the 2019 Shoe Count numbers come out, I'll be curious to see if Hoka was able to hold onto their #1 Status this year. In the week leading up to the race, in Kona it was mind boggling, to see the numbers of athletes running in Nike 4% or Next. Anecdotally, every second runner seemed to have them on their feet!

Ventum is a whole different story, and speaks perhaps more to the differences in shoe marketing and bike marketing.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Oct 17, 19 15:25
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Count [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, we said the same exact thing back in the day when Trek had double or more of the 2nd place bike in this count. We would have bet the farm they would at the very least stay on top, never mind double, but low and behold. They have to struggle now to not be doubled by Cervélo. I wouldnt bet the tractor on the farm anymore, history has a weird way of repeating itself.

I knew insiders at Cervelo that were surprised that they did reach #1 years ago, and other insiders now that, are surprised that they still are number one!

It's a bit unprecedented how long they have been able to hang onto this - for whatever this is worth. I sense the worth now IS the longevity. It's something that does leak out and does get talked about on bike shop floors when, someone is considering a new triathlon bike. It is probably mentioned in the sales pitch from the employee at the bike shop - "They have been the #1 bike at the IRONMAN World Championships for years". I'm sure that fact right there, closes more than a few deals for Cervelo!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Count [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth I see Felt and Canyon really picking up steam. Maybe I'm biased as a Felt rider looking to buy another Felt but good bikes at an unbeatable price. Similar for Canyon if you don't mind online sales.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply

Prev Next