Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

regular guy initial mini review of the new tacx bike smart
Quote | Reply
info on the purchase...

i work in a very remote work location (offshore oil production facility). our company has a good supportive health and wellness initiative and im on the healt and wellness committee here so getting good equipment isnt too hard. we purchased this through clevertraining as a preorder before it was released. i had to wait forever for the unit's multiple manuf delays, but when i came to work yesterday it was sitting in the location i said i wanted it stored before i got here.

dont laugh at the pics of where i set it up! i have it next to my bedroom in an hvac room with limited access... i didnt want someone else here getting on it thinking it was a toy. i have been using an older spin bike here at work with my favero duo pedals. one take away from that setup is that you by no means need a perfect setup get see gains. it was far from ideal but with structured training i made it work and saw the fruits of the work put into it.

on to the mini review.

bike where it will live. main unit (bike frame), front and rear supports, bike seat / slider, and front handlebars were all seperate in the box. packaging didnt look to be an issue, it was well packaged in foam.

initial setup was pretty dang easy, roughly an hour or so in a very cramped area with no help. the setup instructions was like 5 pages, ikea style. two bolts for the rear support, two bolts for the front support. the front support have nice little adjustable feet for leveling. i didnt see any sort of leveling for the rear support.

seat / slider and handlebars slide into place on the same type of slider assembly. one interesting feature this bike has is you can pull out the threaded plug used to lock the seat post, seat rail, handlebar height and handlebar fore/aft with a ratcheting style hand lever. i opted for the hand lever during assembly.

you can either use the fans or not... the bike comes with a tablet holder option sans fans if thats your wish. i was skeptical of the fans but decided to give them a try.

hopping on the bike and getting it "fit" was pretty easy with all the adjustable hand levers. everything was very easily reachable without unclipping so i could adjust and tinker till things felt pretty close to what a good fit would feel like to me. im sure as time goes on ill mess with it a bit more. the included road saddle seems sufficient. i have a 2.5 hr zone 1 ride tomorrow so it will really get tested.

for the initial ride i figured it would work essentially like my tacx neo at home does. i linked it up to zwift, paired no problem, but for a structured ride it wouldnt go into erg. i had to run an update from the tacx utility app on my phone. after that it operated in erg no problem.

erg works a little slower than my tacx neo... it seems the response isnt as crisp and quick. it "ramps" a bit more when making jumps between intervals. its by no means an issue or too slow, its just an observation.

i really dig the layout of the "cockpit". i usually will have a show going on one of my ipads and zwift running on another for endurance rides. theres lots of room for my particular needs so im really happy about that. the fans... i like em! they adjust in and out / up and down very easily. i wound up having them blow out around me to my sides as i dont like having any sort of wind blowing on me or in my face. i did enjoy the air circulation around me. the fans do speed up as your wattage goes up. pretty neat feature.

ok... here comes the complaints.

the horns are not comfortable. they are squared off, which to me seems like a design thing as it does resemble the more angular design of the bike. it unfortunately does not feel good to the hand at all. i couldnt find a hand position where i was happy.

these little buttons suck. these are your shifters. they are not very obvious to the touch at all. i did play around with shifting some and shifting reaction is very quick but you have to purposefully find these buttons and feel around as they are flush with the rest of the surrounding block. again im thinking this was a design thing. looks cool, doesnt work as well as something more obvious to the touch. i really wish the entire handlebar was a "normal" shifter setup that you find on every road bike out there.

for the price of this thing i would expect the body molding to be perfect. there are a couple of spots where the plastic doesnt meet up in the seams.

dcrainmaker said he had inner thigh rubbing and i experienced it as well. the "frame" up where the seat post is fairly wide. when my knees would wander inwards to the bike i could feel the bike frame. its something i can live with, but if i had paid my own money for this i would be very annoyed.

no pics, but the crank / pedal interface is not threaded. they have 3 different "inserts" you slip in the back side of the the crank then thread your pedal into the insert with a washer to fill the void area. im assuming there are three different pedal standards out there so they were thoughtful enough to accommodate everyone. the benefit i see in this is you can just get replacement inserts without the entire crank having to be replaced if it gets screwed up. its still a weird setup to me.

this was my initial ride on the thing. im sure as time goes on ill have more thoughts and ill be sure to post up. i didnt get any shots of the little included LCD screen, ill do that another time. i do like it though... has all the relevant info for your gear selection and riding metrics right there.

if anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Oct 11, 19 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: regular guy initial mini review of the new tacx bike smart [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How funny, I ordered mine in January and it will be on a diving support boat mainly oil and gas related too!

On the unfunny side I’m still waiting for mine to show up ;-( not very happy at all about everyone being more than willing to take our money and now waiting almost a year for the bloody think to show up!

Am looking forward to getting it set up. It will have multiple users so I hope the switching to different fits isn’t as issue.

How do you manage to get Zwift! That’s alright for some! I have to pay £20 GBP for 750mb of data!! I Wish we had something like that.

Let me know how your rides go and your experiences once you have used it a bit more.

Phil
Quote Reply
Re: regular guy initial mini review of the new tacx bike smart [Phil Hodson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phil Hodson wrote:

How do you manage to get Zwift! That’s alright for some! I have to pay £20 GBP for 750mb of data!! I Wish we had something like that.

i work on a TLP floating facility. We are essentially a brand new facility, installed two years ago. we have a fiber line going to the beach so we have full high speed out here. it makes the two weeks out here livable!

when you get yours make sure to pull out the threaded plugs and use the handles. there are demarcations on the bike you can reference for different people's fits.

Quote Reply
Re: regular guy initial mini review of the new tacx bike smart [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You still using the Tacx bike? What are your long term thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: regular guy initial mini review of the new tacx bike smart [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i still use it regularly at work, but i purchased a wahoo kickr bike for home personal use. i do prefer the wahoo bike overall.

the tacx bike does a fine job and has been solid, the front “cockpit” with fans and ipad stand is a nice integration of thats what you’re looking for. i have my wahoo bike setup with aero bars and in a tri position. i can’t see getting the front end of the tacx bike setup for tri easily due to their front console area so i just ride it road position. i still do not like the “horns” at all. they are not made for comfort with their more squared edges. you can tell it was a design thing.

again a good bike i would be ok with if there was no other option, but with a few niggles here and there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. I'm leaning toward the Tacx bike for two primary reasons - I'm a longtime Neo user and the fans. My trainer is in a garage in the Houston area so the more fans the better - currently use three but love the idea of adding those dash fans.

I'm in no rush to get something (good thing since they are so back logged) so I'm kinda hoping they'll make some design changes at some point to the bars and shifters to solve the ergonomics issue you noted. Not too worried about a trip bar setup as I'm just a roadie/gravel rider these days and have been out of tri for many years now.
Quote Reply
Re: regular guy initial mini review of the new tacx bike smart [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i’m over in beaumont!

i have a tacx neo and i still prefer the wahoo bike. i prefer the feel of the actual neo portion than the wahoo feel, but holistically the wahoo bike is just better than the tacx.

if you are already using 3 fans i highly doubt you’re gonna even notice the two little console fans. that said, if the front console of the tacx bike works well for your particular use case it is hard to beat. the spot for your ipad is well placed and the little console readout is nice... i do like that a lot.

i still personally keep going back to adjustability and comfort. it seems the wahoo bike is more narrow in the top tube so my legs brush it less than the wahoo. also... those damn horn designs on the tacx bike...

for my wahoo bike i have a table in front for my laptop and bottles and recently added a tv behind all that and higher elevation up to run zwift. if you want full integration, tacx all the way. if you have space in your bike setup to add more stuff to customize your experience i would really suggest giving the wahoo bike a fair shake. once you’re up and peddling you would never know the difference between the two as far as feel goes.

Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Mar 8, 21 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
i’m over in beaumont!

With your combination of races and mention of offshore work I suspected you might be in the area. I retired from the industry but thankfully only had to go offshore a few times during my career. Usually it wasn't a good thing when I showed up somewhere like that (in-house counsel).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, fine. You should probably be watching your mailbox for your commission check from Wahoo. I've been doing some more reading up on it and sounds pretty nice. I've already got the desk (generic version) and the Wahoo fan. IT doesn't hurt that if I buy it from REI there's a huge dividend check later one.

One question - how annoying is the gear/gradient display location in real life? Seems like that's one of the chief complaints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Ok, fine. You should probably be watching your mailbox for your commission check from Wahoo. I've been doing some more reading up on it and sounds pretty nice. I've already got the desk (generic version) and the Wahoo fan. IT doesn't hurt that if I buy it from REI there's a huge dividend check later one.

One question - how annoying is the gear/gradient display location in real life? Seems like that's one of the chief complaints.

on the wahoo bike you mean? it doesn’t much effect me as i ride 99% of the time in ERG, however whoever made the decision to put it there needs to be kicked in the nuts. it’s a pretty terrible placement. granted, grade and gearing numbers are not something you have available riding in real life, but since it’s there it would have been much better off being placed somewhere in view. when i do play with the grade adjustment to try and mimic what’s in zwift i get pretty irritated at it. i have one of them fancy sweat catchers that loop around the handlebars and the seat post and it completely obscures my view of the display. granted, that’s not wahoos fault but something to think about if you’re gonna use one.

i’m also using a wahoo fan and generic amazon wahoo style table.

Quote Reply