Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can I qualify for 70.3 WC? [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
Do I have a shot?

As someone who had similar numbers to yours until mid-2018 and then bagged slots to Nice and NZ (also M35-39) this summer, I would say yes but maybe a bit more time (or a smart race selection). I got myself to that point by being self-coached but nothing interesting, just lots of consistent mileage, preventative work with a PT and a great bike fit. Now I have a coach because I want to fine tune to be faster and be more competitive as I bagged both slots by being top 5 AG, but still relying on rolldown.

If you really want to get to NZ, then my money is on east coast/south-east races in May & June. Most US races will have deep roll downs but I think the odds will be better there then west coast. If you want to get to St. George 2021, get a coach now, train consistently, don't be afraid to go all out in the 70.3, and pick the races that suit your strengths best.

Pmswanepoel wrote:
Injury prone.
Don't do any 'gym'/strength exercise.

Did you put these together purposefully? as if to get a recommendation to change the last part so that you can change the first part? if so, then I recommend it. But in a smart way, see a PT for preventative measures

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Can I qualify for 70.3 WC? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s some BS. I had to pay for NICE in euros. They should be charging in NZD

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Can I qualify for 70.3 WC? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
That’s some BS. I had to pay for NICE in euros. They should be charging in NZD

They will when the dollar weakens

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Can I qualify for 70.3 WC? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
South Africa

That's why. You will see a much different dynamic for the 2021 WC when it's in St George
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Yes. No one from the east coast of the US are going to New Zealand for thanksgiving

I thought so as well, but the recent 70.3s I was spectating and watching rolldown, the slots were NOT rolling far at all. (They rolled, but not much)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My cycling broke through to another level today. My race speed in Augusta 9/29/19 was 22.64mph over 56mi. I was running 50mi on the track at about that - 22.2mph or so. But, I think I finally realized some gains after I did 400mi + 500mi over two weeks at 21.0mph avg and 21.2mph avg respectfully.

My 500mi week ended 9/22 and finally feeling a breakthrough yesterday and today. Did 23.4mph for 50mi on the track yesterday and then 24.4mph for 50mi today.

I want to podium in M35-39 in at the WC in Utah. That is the goal. I thought my current bike had certain limitations (2006 Madone 5.0), but in light of this week, I think I might actually have a shot on this bike. I'm not really targeting qualifying anymore, I think that will be inevitable if I keep up this training regimen, but I have been neglecting Muay Thai training, so will mix it up.

Good luck! Happy riding.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Can I qualify for 70.3 WC? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
South Africa

That's why. You will see a much different dynamic for the 2021 WC when it's in St George

Yes that's partly my point.

Anyone can qualify depending on a large number of factors. It is not really that difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. The $450 is to Ironman so it's USD. But yeah, the $ will go a long way in New Zealand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming you're in the US just go to a race the year the WC's are overseas and they just hand them out. To podium and get the spot, probably not. I'm in your AG and takes about 4:20ish to get top 5 at 70.3s from my experience
Quote Reply
Re: Can I qualify for 70.3 WC? [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They charged Euros for Nice.... and if I remember AUD for Sunshine Coast

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Can I qualify for 70.3 WC? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:
Injury prone.
Don't do any 'gym'/strength exercise.

Did you put these together purposefully? as if to get a recommendation to change the last part so that you can change the first part? if so, then I recommend it. But in a smart way, see a PT for preventative measures

Yeah it seems like you are putting stipulations on training. I think gym/strength is essential personally to get past plateaus and keeping a good strong upper body and core.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to those that offered advice. No thanks to those with pissy comments and typical forum mentality. If you don’t know what I mean then you may be part of the problem.

*buckles in*
Quote Reply

Prev Next