Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cliff notes on 7 years out of the sport [mikeran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The mass start is dead.

You usually start in your assigned wave (usually by age group, not by estimated swim speed) and 2 people go off at a time once every 5 seconds or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Cliff notes on 7 years out of the sport [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that is good to hear. The mass start is why I trained so hard in swimming so I could get out of it as quick as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome back! I agree with DFW Tri. It's still SBR. We all know you can make tri as complicated (or not) as you choose. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Cliff notes on 7 years out of the sport [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
"at least on a local level i feel races are disappearing, and participant numbers are down."

That's because after a year or two of only riding the trainer or running on a treadmill people say "this sport sucks."

This is not true. This is a trend 8-10 years in the making. Zwift is probably getting more people hooked, not less. And the competitive nature of the training is only a good thing for IRL.
Quote Reply
Re: Cliff notes on 7 years out of the sport [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
I took ten years off and came back this year. My observations so far.
1. No one rides outdoors anymore. Only on the trainer playing a video called Zwift.
2. Trainers now cost $1,200.
3. Clinchers tires are in tubulars are out.
4. Do not pump your tires up more than 100 psi.
5. Everyone trains on their race wheels.
6. Nike running shoes now cost $250 plus
7. Everyone races in tri-suits with sleeves.
8. Running times are the same but bikes splits are much faster
9. Everyone has a power meter.
10. There is an Ironman event every weekend and you have to sign up a year in advance.
11. Most of the independent races have gone away or converted to Ironman brand.
12. Bike rims are now wider
13. Bike cassettes went from nine speed to 11 speed and your nine speed wheels will not work with 11 speed.

That's it for now

5. Not true. Most don't put race wheels on when riding the trainer as suggested in #1
7. Not true. Usually only the guys that like to draft do that
11. Not true. Most races are independent and short course. I would agree that most 140.6 & 70.3 distance races are Ironman, but that is a very small portion of triathlon events.

To add to the changes

Swims get canceled a lot more.
Races are more expensive. And a LOT more expensive to put on.
Quote Reply
Re: Cliff notes on 7 years out of the sport [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mark, I am sure we will see each other at an HFP race this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Cliff notes on 7 years out of the sport [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Ironman is the biggest thing that hurt Triathlon. Very quickly about 10 years ago, prices went through the roof. And then they bought up so many local races and just closed them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mikeran wrote:
Plus Ironmans were limited to like 1200 people not 2500 like now. I can imagine starting the swim with that many people at once, there was never room with 1200 in the swim.

Not sure why you think they are limited to 2500. Augusta 70.3 was about 3700 people in 2018 and 3500 in 2019. I raced both of those years and the number of people didn't seem to be an issue. The swim start was single file seeded by time and it worked just fine.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing changed, it is still swim bike run, except that everyone uses metrics to monitor his or her training, and posts it on social media.
Quote Reply
Re: Cliff notes on 7 years out of the sport [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry read somewhere IM 140.3 was limited to 2500 per race I guess I was mistaken.
Quote Reply
Re: Cliff notes on 7 years out of the sport [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
I took ten years off and came back this year. My observations so far.
1. No one rides outdoors anymore. Only on the trainer playing a video called Zwift.
2. Trainers now cost $1,200.
3. Clinchers tires are in tubulars are out.
4. Do not pump your tires up more than 100 psi.
5. Everyone trains on their race wheels.
6. Nike running shoes now cost $250 plus
7. Everyone races in tri-suits with sleeves.
8. Running times are the same but bikes splits are much faster
9. Everyone has a power meter.
10. There is an Ironman event every weekend and you have to sign up a year in advance.
11. Most of the independent races have gone away or converted to Ironman brand.
12. Bike rims are now wider
13. Bike cassettes went from nine speed to 11 speed and your nine speed wheels will not work with 11 speed.

That's it for now

1. Hyperbole- its winter for many Slowtwitchers which vastly reduces opportunities right now. Maybe use "training inside doesn't suck now"
2. Only the very most expensive ones. Lots of smart trainers from $500-800, lots of used dumb trainers for pennies. Maybe went with "even trainers have power now!"
3. This was true 8 years ago, you could have went with "road tubeless" here.
4. This was true 10 years ago. Probably need to go back 20 or more for this one.
5. Or- Carbon wheels are so sturdy and warranties so good, people finally can train using the equipment they will race with.
6. The latest version of ONE shoe does, I would have gone with "after decades of bs about a shoe making you faster, one finally did and people went bonkers for it"
7. Another take: Trisuits are way better, and there is actual aero science now (so go with sleeves if you want).
8. Or- Way better bikes and aero helmets, and common sense positioning is widely available to the average AG'er now.
9. Holy crap- you can get a new Stages for $299! And its good! This is AMAZING. 10 years ago me is impressed.
10. Ironman is probably way overpriced, but we keep paying it- so if economics is correct, its not maybe?
11. Hug your local promoter and sign up for their races early, they are damn saints.
12. Sneaky advancement here, especially with the better carbon tech and road tubeless.
13. 11-28 with better shifting than the old 11-23's, Shimano witchcraft

My additional 10 years later:
14. Aero helmets are exponentially better, both faster, better fitting and safer.
15. Electronic Shifting was a game changer for TT bikes given their awful cable routing options- base bar and extension shifting perfectly each time!
16. way more diversity in running shoe options- really something for everyone now
17. That garmin or apple watch on your wrist would have blown away 10 years ago you.
18. As would Strava.
19. And all the podcasts.
20. And then show them YouTube now.
Last edited by: elf6c: Jan 16, 20 13:16
Quote Reply

Prev Next